Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

spin off, pet peeves that teachers have about parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Since there is a post about pet peeves parents have, I figured I would do one for the teachers, I am both a parent and a teacher and the other post did have some good points/ I can't speak for all teachers but these are mine:

1. The fact that you can't be civil with your ex is not my problem, I am not going to send home 2 sets of school notices unless you can get it worked out with the office to have them send the extra copies to me. I am not spending the 20 minutes I get for lunch making copies.

2. For that matter, unless there is a restraining order in place, I am not scheduling 2 conferences  for the same student. I do these conferences on my own time, I don't get paid extra for the extra hours I spend doing them.

3. Pleas don't try to have an unscheduled conference with me in the morning. If it is just a quick thing, fine but if there is an issue you need to talk about, call me after school or schedule a conference, I do not get to school early for my health, I have stuff I have to do.

4. If you share custody of your kid, please don't have your child bring their overnight bag to school. There isn't room for it and I don't feel like having to guard it to make sure another kid doesn't take his PS Vista (or whatever it is).

5. If your child has an unusual or odd name or a name that is spelled differently then usual, please don't get mad that I might mispronounce his or her name at first.

6. Send your kids in with supplies. You can get the entire list of supplies for the whole year for about $10-15 at the beginning of the school year, please don't make me call you about it.

Anyone have any more?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
3 moms liked this
No 5 totally!

I love your kids, but when something happens with my child or my health that is my priority. It is not your business to know why I had to miss school.

We don't want to teach the test, but if we don't we could lose our jobs.

You are not entitled to my cell phone number or my home phone number. I work when I'm at work and will contact you when I return to school.

I assign homework because the amount of material your child needs to know and retain is huge. I'm not giving homework to make your life difficult.

That's enough for now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I'm the Anonymous poster on this one...  I COMPLETELY agree that parental drama is not your problem...

I'm not that good of a parent, not very organized, and I just don't get the whole "Kleenex Brand" tissues.  I am of the opinion that if you want a specific brand/color of something, I'll give ya a check and you go get what you want, because I guarantee ya, I'll get it wrong...

Quoting Anonymous:

I even tell the parents, I don't care about brands or colors. Some years, we use the different folders for different subjects but other then that I never ask for specific colors.

Quoting Anonymous:

For number 6, as a parent, please accept things other than the "brand name".  I absolutely HATE it when I have to buy school supplies for two kids and the teacher has brand and color specific requests-- like this year, 15 yellow number 2 pre-sharpened pencils-- they had 8 packs of red pre-sharpened #2 pencils, but not red.  So I sent 16 red number 2 pre-sharpened pencils.  And of course I got the look from my daughter's teacher.  Sorry, if you are going to be specific make sure they actually HAVE the things.

And for the PLA/PTAs please, if the school is going to send a notice home that your kid is fat, please don't have a cookie dough sale the very next week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Anonymous again-- I know it's the PTA/PLA/PTC, but I figure they read the teacher pet peeve list as well, and I know that the teachers have nothing to do with it, but it just really sends mixed messages.  Yep, your kids' fat, but go sell some cookie dough so I can get an iPad for my class.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh and lol about the cookie dough. I have nothing to do with those letters, they are usually from either the PE teacher or the school nurse but I do get the point. I love  how in PE they are taught that junk food is basically of the devil and then every afternoon they have snack cart that has nothing but junk

Quoting Anonymous:

For number 6, as a parent, please accept things other than the "brand name".  I absolutely HATE it when I have to buy school supplies for two kids and the teacher has brand and color specific requests-- like this year, 15 yellow number 2 pre-sharpened pencils-- they had 8 packs of red pre-sharpened #2 pencils, but not red.  So I sent 16 red number 2 pre-sharpened pencils.  And of course I got the look from my daughter's teacher.  Sorry, if you are going to be specific make sure they actually HAVE the things.

And for the PLA/PTAs please, if the school is going to send a notice home that your kid is fat, please don't have a cookie dough sale the very next week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

lol, I am sure I did. I didn't do any kind of proof reading and I typed it while watching tv :) I am the first to admit that I am human and I make mistakes, yes, I know the difference between than and then but sometimes I just put the wrong one in, without thinking.

Quoting MamaRae85:

Are you gonna flip out on me if I correct your grammar? =) It's "spelled differently THAN".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Awaits all of the defensive parents who have broken these pet peeves.
Is it too early for wine and popcorn?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I LOVE yours. The first one I get all the time, why do parents think they have the right to my personal life? I try not to give homework but if a child is behind, I have to. Sometimes I want to ask parents "would you rather help him a little or him have to repeat the grade"

Quoting Anonymous:

No 5 totally!

I love your kids, but when something happens with my child or my health that is my priority. It is not your business to know why I had to miss school.

You are not entitled to my cell phone number or my home phone number. I work when I'm at work and will contact you when I return to school.

I assign homework because the amount of material your child needs to know and retain is huge. I'm not giving homework to make your life difficult.

That's enough for now.

DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM
4 moms liked this

I realize that you think your little Suzie or Johnny is oh so special and gifted. But if you are going to be volunteering in my class every day of the week, please include the other children in the activities and please for the love of God stop comparing everything the other children do to your little Einstein or Monet's work for all to hear. Thank you. ;- )

lovinglife0682
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Lol. That is too funny.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I realize that you think your little Suzie or Johnny is oh so special and gifted. But if you are going to be volunteering in my class every day of the week, please include the other children in the activities and please for the love of God stop comparing everything the other children do to your little Einstein or Monet's work for all to hear. Thank you. ;- )

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM

You should never teach to the test.  Thankfully our district realizes if the teachers stick to teaching the state standards/curriculum the kids will do fine because our state test is aligned to the state standards.  IMO if you just teach to the test you aren't doing your job.

Quoting Anonymous:

No 5 totally!

That's enough for now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I'm sure you teach the kids how to take the test. Do you not teach the students strategies for the test? Do you not focus on only those skills within the standards even though the students have an interest in doing more?

For example, let's say the state standards are about the phases of the moon and the order of the planets. Do you go outside exactly what is written in the standards? My students want to go into supernovas and black holes bit guess what.....not in the standards so what do you do. Your comment says, I don't teach to the test, but I teach the standards. These are much the same thing. If you don't deviate from what is in the standards you are effectively teaching the test.  

"I teach the standards" = code for "I teach the test" 

Quoting Anonymous:

You should never teach to the test.  Thankfully our district realizes if the teachers stick to teaching the state standards/curriculum the kids will do fine because our state test is aligned to the state standards.  IMO if you just teach to the test you aren't doing your job.

Quoting Anonymous:

No 5 totally!

That's enough for now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)