Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

spin off, pet peeves that teachers have about parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Since there is a post about pet peeves parents have, I figured I would do one for the teachers, I am both a parent and a teacher and the other post did have some good points/ I can't speak for all teachers but these are mine:

1. The fact that you can't be civil with your ex is not my problem, I am not going to send home 2 sets of school notices unless you can get it worked out with the office to have them send the extra copies to me. I am not spending the 20 minutes I get for lunch making copies.

2. For that matter, unless there is a restraining order in place, I am not scheduling 2 conferences  for the same student. I do these conferences on my own time, I don't get paid extra for the extra hours I spend doing them.

3. Pleas don't try to have an unscheduled conference with me in the morning. If it is just a quick thing, fine but if there is an issue you need to talk about, call me after school or schedule a conference, I do not get to school early for my health, I have stuff I have to do.

4. If you share custody of your kid, please don't have your child bring their overnight bag to school. There isn't room for it and I don't feel like having to guard it to make sure another kid doesn't take his PS Vista (or whatever it is).

5. If your child has an unusual or odd name or a name that is spelled differently then usual, please don't get mad that I might mispronounce his or her name at first.

6. Send your kids in with supplies. You can get the entire list of supplies for the whole year for about $10-15 at the beginning of the school year, please don't make me call you about it.

Anyone have any more?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Test taking strategies is not teaching to the test.  Teaching the curriculum and state standards is not teaching to the test.  You said, "We don't want to teach to the test but if we don't we could lose our jobs."  What does that mean then if not, "I  only care about teaching your kids the bare minimum they need to pass this test so I can keep my job." Are you really a teacher?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I'm sure you teach the kids how to take the test. Do you not teach the students strategies for the test? Do you not focus on only those skills within the standards even though the students have an interest in doing more?

For example, let's say the state standards are about the phases of the moon and the order of the planets. Do you go outside exactly what is written in the standards? My students want to go into supernovas and black holes bit guess what.....not in the standards so what do upu do. Your comment says, I don't teach to the test, but I teach the standards. These are much the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

You should never teach to the test.  Thankfully our district realizes if the teachers stick to teaching the state standards/curriculum the kids will do fine because our state test is aligned to the state standards.  IMO if you just teach to the test you aren't doing your job.

Quoting Anonymous:

No 5 totally!

I love your kids, but when something happens with my child or my health that is my priority. It is not your business to know why I had to miss school.

We don't want to teach the test, but if we don't we could lose our jobs.

You are not entitled to my cell phone number or my home phone number. I work when I'm at work and will contact you when I return to school.

I assign homework because the amount of material your child needs to know and retain is huge. I'm not giving homework to make your life difficult.

That's enough for now.

jojo61397
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

As another parent...

Please keep your sick kids AT HOME!  My child has an auto-immune disorder, which he catches EVERYTHING.  I work part time to pay for expensive therapy and food (due to allergies) not covered by insurance.  If I don't work, I don't get paid.  

And this goes double for people who send their children sick to daycare.  My mom is a HDCP.  My mom has systemic lupus brought on by a form of shingles brought in by a sick kid in daycare.  My dad has had open heart surgery.  They are about to retire.  One of my mom's clients brings their kid in EVERY TIME she is sick, the dad is UNEMPLOYED currently, but "can't handle special little snow flake."  My mom has had to take off work for weeks at a time because of this.  When she takes off, she doesn't get paid. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

You  are his teacher NOT the parent, yes he must respect you. Your job is to teach my child so dont send a butt load of homework home after he has already been to school for 8 hours.

helema24
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM

when i went to high school they would get all upset that so many of us were overweight (same as middle school) BUT they had lunch options that were NOT healthy IE loaded baked potatoes Fridays and the snack counter that had pizza soda chips and such AND the economics teacher sold cookies on Tuesday mornings AND there were soda machines out where the main traffic was.....at middle school they had days where you could buy pizza and the snack machines....

Also to the other parents PLEASE don't act all butt hurt when students cant eat what you brought in or that little Fatima wont sit or play with your son. and please for the love of god DONT ASSUME that we are snubbing you or hate you because of religious practices. little fatimah may be out of school one day that your child isn't allowed to miss because of a holiday in her religion (which by law is allowed) and if there is an allergy in the class and a thing is banned please don't send it in thinking it will slip under the radar and then tell them its not your problem when  a child almost DIES because of your blatant refusal to comply....Its not all about you we have as much rights as you do and if the rest of us comply with special rules you need to too so we don't lose our privileges because of YOUR ACTIONS!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh and lol about the cookie dough. I have nothing to do with those letters, they are usually from either the PE teacher or the school nurse but I do get the point. I love  how in PE they are taught that junk food is basically of the devil and then every afternoon they have snack cart that has nothing but junk

Quoting Anonymous:

For number 6, as a parent, please accept things other than the "brand name".  I absolutely HATE it when I have to buy school supplies for two kids and the teacher has brand and color specific requests-- like this year, 15 yellow number 2 pre-sharpened pencils-- they had 8 packs of red pre-sharpened #2 pencils, but not red.  So I sent 16 red number 2 pre-sharpened pencils.  And of course I got the look from my daughter's teacher.  Sorry, if you are going to be specific make sure they actually HAVE the things.

And for the PLA/PTAs please, if the school is going to send a notice home that your kid is fat, please don't have a cookie dough sale the very next week.

power bitch slap internetMuslim Cat prays towards Mecca. LoL by: wirgylovesamletoandshayaprofessor cat. replyI Like Big Butts and I Cannot

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, you wouldn't be teaching strategies if you weren't concerned about the test.  Teaching only the curriculum and not stepping outside what is written in the standards is effectively teaching only what the students need to know to pass the test.  I've been a teacher for 10 years.  I hate teaching testing strategies.  I hate being told what I should be teaching by administrators who don't get it.  I was working with fourth graders on subtraction with regrouping and was told that I shouldn't be working on that skill because it's not explicitly in the standards despite the fact that it is a skill that is necessary for all the other things we are going to be doing throughout the school year (it's in the standards as well).  Maybe it's a function of where you teach.  My district seems to be worried about the number of students passing the tests and what the teacher is doing to ensure that students are passing test(and I don't think that my district is the minority on this one).  The statement that I made does not mean that I only care about teaching the bare minimium to the kids, but the bottom line is if I don't teach what my administrators think I should be teaching (i.e., the test) I could lose my job.  It's the nature of education right now.  

I could ask if you're really a teacher also.  This has been the experience of my entire family who are all in education.  We have parties to countdown the number of days until the test.  The kids are tested every other week to see how they will do on the real test.  Where do you teach that you have such a bubble around you that you don't feel like you're teaching the test rather than teaching children how to learn?  

Quoting Anonymous:

Test taking strategies is not teaching to the test.  Teaching the curriculum and state standards is not teaching to the test.  You said, "We don't want to teach to the test but if we don't we could lose our jobs."  What does that mean then if not, "I  only care about teaching your kids the bare minimum they need to pass this test so I can keep my job." Are you really a teacher?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I'm sure you teach the kids how to take the test. Do you not teach the students strategies for the test? Do you not focus on only those skills within the standards even though the students have an interest in doing more?

For example, let's say the state standards are about the phases of the moon and the order of the planets. Do you go outside exactly what is written in the standards? My students want to go into supernovas and black holes bit guess what.....not in the standards so what do upu do. Your comment says, I don't teach to the test, but I teach the standards. These are much the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

You should never teach to the test.  Thankfully our district realizes if the teachers stick to teaching the state standards/curriculum the kids will do fine because our state test is aligned to the state standards.  IMO if you just teach to the test you aren't doing your job.

Quoting Anonymous:

No 5 totally!

I love your kids, but when something happens with my child or my health that is my priority. It is not your business to know why I had to miss school.

We don't want to teach the test, but if we don't we could lose our jobs.

You are not entitled to my cell phone number or my home phone number. I work when I'm at work and will contact you when I return to school.

I assign homework because the amount of material your child needs to know and retain is huge. I'm not giving homework to make your life difficult.

That's enough for now.

DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I second this one!! Leave your germ monsters at home thank you very much! ;-) 

Quoting jojo61397:

As another parent...

Please keep your sick kids AT HOME!  My child has an auto-immune disorder, which he catches EVERYTHING.  I work part time to pay for expensive therapy and food (due to allergies) not covered by insurance.  If I don't work, I don't get paid.  

And this goes double for people who send their children sick to daycare.  My mom is a HDCP.  My mom has systemic lupus brought on by a form of shingles brought in by a sick kid in daycare.  My dad has had open heart surgery.  They are about to retire.  One of my mom's clients brings their kid in EVERY TIME she is sick, the dad is UNEMPLOYED currently, but "can't handle special little snow flake."  My mom has had to take off work for weeks at a time because of this.  When she takes off, she doesn't get paid. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Cracks me up!  We had a mom like that in my son's class.  One day she hugs her kids and squeals "aren't you just the smartest kid here!" and my son replied "Actually I am. Want to see my grades?"

His teacher called me at home to tell me this and I apologized profusely.  She told me not to apologize, because it was the best laugh she had all week.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I realize that you think your little Suzie or Johnny is oh so special and gifted. But if you are going to be volunteering in my class every day of the week, please include the other children in the activities and please for the love of God stop comparing everything the other children do to your little Einstein or Monet's work for all to hear. Thank you. ;- )

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM

As for me, I only send homework home if the child needs extra help with something or they have missed school and I still get parents complaining. I want to say "hey, would you rather help your child a bit because he or she is falling behind or would you rather them repeat the whole grade next year?"

Quoting Anonymous:

You  are his teacher NOT the parent, yes he must respect you. Your job is to teach my child so dont send a butt load of homework home after he has already been to school for 8 hours.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:12 PM
2 moms liked this

My biggest one was parents who smoke in the house and their kids clothes, book bag and coats all smell like cigarette smoke at school. I had to smell that shit all day, it made me gag. Don't you realize everywhere your child goes the smell lingers? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

There have been way too many teacher bitch fits on here and frankly with the experience we just had with our eldest's previous school, I'm not anywhere near the mood to be giving the benefit of the doubt to rude teachers who are in a classroom for the paycheck, union benefits and the many days off.  Unfortunately, this describes far too many teachers these days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)