Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

spin off, pet peeves that teachers have about parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Since there is a post about pet peeves parents have, I figured I would do one for the teachers, I am both a parent and a teacher and the other post did have some good points/ I can't speak for all teachers but these are mine:

1. The fact that you can't be civil with your ex is not my problem, I am not going to send home 2 sets of school notices unless you can get it worked out with the office to have them send the extra copies to me. I am not spending the 20 minutes I get for lunch making copies.

2. For that matter, unless there is a restraining order in place, I am not scheduling 2 conferences  for the same student. I do these conferences on my own time, I don't get paid extra for the extra hours I spend doing them.

3. Pleas don't try to have an unscheduled conference with me in the morning. If it is just a quick thing, fine but if there is an issue you need to talk about, call me after school or schedule a conference, I do not get to school early for my health, I have stuff I have to do.

4. If you share custody of your kid, please don't have your child bring their overnight bag to school. There isn't room for it and I don't feel like having to guard it to make sure another kid doesn't take his PS Vista (or whatever it is).

5. If your child has an unusual or odd name or a name that is spelled differently then usual, please don't get mad that I might mispronounce his or her name at first.

6. Send your kids in with supplies. You can get the entire list of supplies for the whole year for about $10-15 at the beginning of the school year, please don't make me call you about it.

Anyone have any more?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Sigh........ if only more people could understand this, like the policy makers who make it this way. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, you wouldn't be teaching strategies if you weren't concerned about the test.  Teaching only the curriculum and not stepping outside what is written in the standards is effectively teaching only what the students need to know to pass the test.  I've been a teacher for 10 years.  I hate teaching testing strategies.  I hate being told what I should be teaching by administrators who don't get it.  I was working with fourth graders on subtraction with regrouping and was told that I shouldn't be working on that skill because it's not explicitly in the standards despite the fact that it is a skill that is necessary for all the other things we are going to be doing throughout the school year (it's in the standards as well).  Maybe it's a function of where you teach.  My district seems to be worried about the number of students passing the tests and what the teacher is doing to ensure that students are passing test(and I don't think that my district is the minority on this one).  The statement that I made does not mean that I only care about teaching the bare minimium to the kids, but the bottom line is if I don't teach what my administrators think I should be teaching (i.e., the test) I could lose my job.  It's the nature of education right now.  

I could ask if you're really a teacher also.  This has been the experience of my entire family who are all in education.  We have parties to countdown the number of days until the test.  The kids are tested every other week to see how they will do on the real test.  Where do you teach that you have such a bubble around you that you don't feel like you're teaching the test rather than teaching children how to learn?  

Quoting Anonymous:

Test taking strategies is not teaching to the test.  Teaching the curriculum and state standards is not teaching to the test.  You said, "We don't want to teach to the test but if we don't we could lose our jobs."  What does that mean then if not, "I  only care about teaching your kids the bare minimum they need to pass this test so I can keep my job." Are you really a teacher?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I'm sure you teach the kids how to take the test. Do you not teach the students strategies for the test? Do you not focus on only those skills within the standards even though the students have an interest in doing more?

For example, let's say the state standards are about the phases of the moon and the order of the planets. Do you go outside exactly what is written in the standards? My students want to go into supernovas and black holes bit guess what.....not in the standards so what do upu do. Your comment says, I don't teach to the test, but I teach the standards. These are much the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

You should never teach to the test.  Thankfully our district realizes if the teachers stick to teaching the state standards/curriculum the kids will do fine because our state test is aligned to the state standards.  IMO if you just teach to the test you aren't doing your job.

Quoting Anonymous:

No 5 totally!

I love your kids, but when something happens with my child or my health that is my priority. It is not your business to know why I had to miss school.

We don't want to teach the test, but if we don't we could lose our jobs.

You are not entitled to my cell phone number or my home phone number. I work when I'm at work and will contact you when I return to school.

I assign homework because the amount of material your child needs to know and retain is huge. I'm not giving homework to make your life difficult.

That's enough for now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Then vs than is very important to some parents.

(I like apples more than oranges.  I took my turn, then he took his turn.)

As a former student, please do not ask a child "What is wrong with you" in front of the whole class. You will scar them for the remainder of their school years to the point of them becoming introverted and unbearably shy.

kzuehlk
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM
My step son's teacher gladly schedules two separate conferences for mom and dad to attend. Not one of his teachers has had an issue with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Haha! I would have given your son a high five!!! Lol! Love it! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Cracks me up!  We had a mom like that in my son's class.  One day she hugs her kids and squeals "aren't you just the smartest kid here!" and my son replied "Actually I am. Want to see my grades?"

His teacher called me at home to tell me this and I apologized profusely.  She told me not to apologize, because it was the best laugh she had all week.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I realize that you think your little Suzie or Johnny is oh so special and gifted. But if you are going to be volunteering in my class every day of the week, please include the other children in the activities and please for the love of God stop comparing everything the other children do to your little Einstein or Monet's work for all to hear. Thank you. ;- )

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Teacher: my 8yo doesn't want your opinion of the stupid president. She needs to learn about his job and respect him. Its hard explaining to an 8 yo that no, he is not only president because he's black
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I have one. Please don't tell me how you'd run my class if you we're a teacher. You're not a teacher and I DON'T CARE how you'd do it. I am accommodating for your child as you'd like me to. I won't change my policies for the ENTIRE class though. :)

60 days left of that parent, 60 days left. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM

It was first grade and it was the truth lol  When he got home, we had a long talk about being humble. He's still the smartest kid, but doesn't announce it anymore lol

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Haha! I would have given your son a high five!!! Lol! Love it! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Cracks me up!  We had a mom like that in my son's class.  One day she hugs her kids and squeals "aren't you just the smartest kid here!" and my son replied "Actually I am. Want to see my grades?"

His teacher called me at home to tell me this and I apologized profusely.  She told me not to apologize, because it was the best laugh she had all week.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I realize that you think your little Suzie or Johnny is oh so special and gifted. But if you are going to be volunteering in my class every day of the week, please include the other children in the activities and please for the love of God stop comparing everything the other children do to your little Einstein or Monet's work for all to hear. Thank you. ;- )

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Some teachers do, after years of it and realizing that how much time I am spending on these "extra" conferences, I stopped doing it. Why should one kid get double the time just because his parents aren't together? These people chose to have sex and produce a child together, the least the can do is sit in the same room with each other for 30 min and talk about the child. The ONLY time I will do separate conferences was when there was a restraining order against the dad and in that case, I required a police officer be present (if the mother of his child needs a restraining order against him, I sure as hell am not going to be alone with him).

Quoting kzuehlk:

My step son's teacher gladly schedules two separate conferences for mom and dad to attend. Not one of his teachers has had an issue with it

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

pft - I WISH the supplies our schools require only cost $15. Try $50-$70...and THEN asking for more halfway thru the year. 

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Parents have asked for your cell and home number???

Quoting Anonymous:

No 5 totally!

I love your kids, but when something happens with my child or my health that is my priority. It is not your business to know why I had to miss school.

We don't want to teach the test, but if we don't we could lose our jobs.

You are not entitled to my cell phone number or my home phone number. I work when I'm at work and will contact you when I return to school.

I assign homework because the amount of material your child needs to know and retain is huge. I'm not giving homework to make your life difficult.

That's enough for now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN