Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

spin off, pet peeves that teachers have about parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Since there is a post about pet peeves parents have, I figured I would do one for the teachers, I am both a parent and a teacher and the other post did have some good points/ I can't speak for all teachers but these are mine:

1. The fact that you can't be civil with your ex is not my problem, I am not going to send home 2 sets of school notices unless you can get it worked out with the office to have them send the extra copies to me. I am not spending the 20 minutes I get for lunch making copies.

2. For that matter, unless there is a restraining order in place, I am not scheduling 2 conferences  for the same student. I do these conferences on my own time, I don't get paid extra for the extra hours I spend doing them.

3. Pleas don't try to have an unscheduled conference with me in the morning. If it is just a quick thing, fine but if there is an issue you need to talk about, call me after school or schedule a conference, I do not get to school early for my health, I have stuff I have to do.

4. If you share custody of your kid, please don't have your child bring their overnight bag to school. There isn't room for it and I don't feel like having to guard it to make sure another kid doesn't take his PS Vista (or whatever it is).

5. If your child has an unusual or odd name or a name that is spelled differently then usual, please don't get mad that I might mispronounce his or her name at first.

6. Send your kids in with supplies. You can get the entire list of supplies for the whole year for about $10-15 at the beginning of the school year, please don't make me call you about it.

Anyone have any more?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Replies (91-93):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Since there is a post about pet peeves parents have, I figured I would do one for the teachers, I am both a parent and a teacher and the other post did have some good points/ I can't speak for all teachers but these are mine:

1. The fact that you can't be civil with your ex is not my problem, I am not going to send home 2 sets of school notices unless you can get it worked out with the office to have them send the extra copies to me. I am not spending the 20 minutes I get for lunch making copies.

My ex has issues lying to me, I get it.  Not your issue.  However would it be too difficult to put him on the class e-mail list so that I don't have to hear about how he 'didn't know".  Also no need to send home 2 copies of anything, as long as it is available on your website / blog if we need it.

I am not going to spend 20 minutes a day typing out emails containing the info from each days hand outs. Most of the stuff is online, though that's up to the school

2. For that matter, unless there is a restraining order in place, I am not scheduling 2 conferences  for the same student. I do these conferences on my own time, I don't get paid extra for the extra hours I spend doing them.

If DH can not handle going to a conference with me there,that's his issue.

3. Pleas don't try to have an unscheduled conference with me in the morning. If it is just a quick thing, fine but if there is an issue you need to talk about, call me after school or schedule a conference, I do not get to school early for my health, I have stuff I have to do.

4. If you share custody of your kid, please don't have your child bring their overnight bag to school. There isn't room for it and I don't feel like having to guard it to make sure another kid doesn't take his PS Vista (or whatever it is).

5. If your child has an unusual or odd name or a name that is spelled differently then usual, please don't get mad that I might mispronounce his or her name at first.

6. Send your kids in with supplies. You can get the entire list of supplies for the whole year for about $10-15 at the beginning of the school year, please don't make me call you about it.

I am NOT sending in the entire list on the first week of school.  I purchase generic for my own family.  Why would I buy name brands for others.  Do YOU purchase name brands for your own family?  Also I am concerned about the wastefulness of being over indulged with supplies. For example:  4 desks put together to form a table.  First few weeks of school, 4 wipes will be handed out to wipe down the table.  After a few months, the teacher will give one wipe for the same 4 tables.  I let the teachers know this.  I also let them know that if they e-mail me and let me know what then need, than I can get it for them.

I keep every one's supplies separate (currently I teacher 5th grade but mostly I have taught 2and). It makes it easier to send in all the supplies for the year, kept in the top of each kids cubby so when they run out of something, they can just get it from their cubby. If you/your child can keep up with that, good for  you but don't get mad at me when little jimmy has to do his work at home because he was out of glue. I don't care what brand you get but I put on there the ones that seem to last longer. As for the classroom supplies like wipes and tissues, I ask each student to bring in their share of what the classroom will use. Please send in what I ask, not doing so is basically telling me that it's my job to spend my money one issues, hand sanitizer and wipes for your kid

Anyone have any more?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:26 AM
I can promise you that you can put your child's name on every individual crayon, but if the teacher uses community supplies, those supplies will still be used in a community fashion - names on them or not.

Quoting Anonymous:

And the teachers have the nerve to ask for extra supplies to give to the kids of parents who do not buy supplies... UGH I am not buying extras and everything I send to school will have my childs name on it. Not going to put the things I buy in the "community bucket" for all the kids to pick from.

Quoting teri4lance:

pft - I WISH the supplies our schools require only cost $15. Try $50-$70...and THEN asking for more halfway thru the year. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Well when the school system says that my child can only miss ten days of school and then on top of that wants me to have a doctor's note for each day missed, you may just get a sniffling child in your class room. Not every sniff, sneeze, or runny nose requires a doc visit. Most of the time if a child has symptoms, ie runny nose, etc. Than the class has already been exposed to the germs way before the symptoms showed up. If I keep my child home, then provide no excuse then the teacher will not allow them to make up the work. So maybe you as teachers need to make the district be a little more accommodating with the policy. The school can not have it both ways....

Quoting Anonymous:

IMO no, if everyone kept their kids home from school when they were sick, there would be a lot less of the kids getting sick in the first place. Plus, I am a teacher, not a nurse, my job is to teach your kid not deal with them being sick

Quoting mamabear1994:

Is it ok to send your child to school if they have a cold but no fever or major complaints?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN