Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We bring home 5k a month and are still negative.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My husband brings home 5k a month and not only are we ALWAYS negative in the bank, half are bills don't get paid. Sadly we don't even have many. Rent, utilities, cell phones, and car insurance.

He thinks it's because I spend to much and I think it's because he spends to much.

I sure as hell am NOT going to cut down on spending if he doesn't. I deserve to get things I want too.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Replies (271-280):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM
That's not much at all, at least not where I live. Sounds like you need to either stop spending or get a job.
lovemymichael
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I haven't bought anything I WANTED in, I don't know how long...

mylifemylove864
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I'm not sure what sra is...

I never disputed that there are others who make less... however claiming that military families make 15,000 to 30,000 is bullshit.

They make a lot more than that, but they go off of what is listed on their husbands w2 and don't realize that there is a difference between taxable income and total income. If that was the case my husband made a grand total of $0 in 2008 as he was deployed the entire year and didn't have a dime in taxable income. Yet we had over $55,000 come into our checking account from dfas that year.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not the other poster but my dh is an sra and he deployed last year and brought home $42000. We got bah, too. So i believe it that there are others who make Less than that

Quoting Anonymous:

he's an e6 with 10 years in, we pcsed last year so bah changed from 1200 to 1400 in July and we also made about a thousand on the partial duty move, which is also income. I know how to read an les... under the ytd entitlements...

And its not possible that your dh only made under 30k last year. Base pay alone is 27,000. Non locality BAH... base line bah without a location for e4 is 704.90 for 2012. Bas was what 325 last year? So that's another 12,000 so your dh made at least 40,000 last year and that's if he wasn't deployed or had any other special pays.

Quoting Anonymous:

My DH made under $30k last year, he is an E-4, in for four years last year. Sorry but unless you tell us your dh rank and how long he is in for, I call Bs!

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Oh no, you are absolutely right about that... military families have no clue how easy and good they have it. There were just a few discrepancies that I wanted to correct. As women on here are crazy and take things so literally. :)

Military families have it very good.

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

I speak from my own experience as a DoD contractor.  

When I left my position... The transition was daunting.  I had just realized how catered the military really is.

My first point of business, was healthcare.  For my family of 5 costs me $2000 a month, where before it was a fraction of that... Cosmetically.

Then when it came to housing, that BAH you speak of is still money given to you by the government.  CONUS you live beneath BAH you get to pocket the rest.  OCONUS not so much.  So really it depends on whether or not you live above or below your BAH.

and then some, but this is (again) based on my observation and experience.  Things may have changed since 2010.

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Well some of that is true. Most housing is privatized and your BAH is just taken for your housing and utility is capped So if you go over you pay for it.

You receive BAH whether you live in housing or not. Medical is free but dental is not. Tax.free shopping is really no big deal... but commissary privileges are a big deal.

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

The military has a different lifestyle...

tax free shopping free healthcare and dental.  If they live on base, then free rent and utilities... Etc.

Military cannot be compared to civilian life.

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Lol that's not true at all. A married private makes 30,000 a year.

My DH is enlisted and made 68,000 last year.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? Military only makes $15,000-30,000 a year :/

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

this also

60k is a joke in my area if you want to live comfortably

Quoting wkukid:

It's only 60k a year. That's not much anymore.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM
We always pay bills first. Always.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM

omg you're not listening. are you dense? Not Everyone Gets BAH. People can live on base (not pay rent, but not get the BAH), and they forfeit the BAH. Meaning, they make anywhere from $9600 to $14400 LESS than everyone making BAH.  Do you UNDERSTAND that now?

Quoting Anonymous:

Every married active duty or agr soldier gets BAH or OHA and if they get OHA they also get COLA, which is also income. Which is why I said that a married private makes $30,000.

I am not sure of the rules for unmarried parents, I think that as long as they have some kind of split custody that get BAH at the With dependents rate but I'm not sure about that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not everyone gets bah. Although the bah here is $1000.

Quoting Anonymous:

he's an e6 with 10 years in, we pcsed last year so bah changed from 1200 to 1400 in July and we also made about a thousand on the partial duty move, which is also income. I know how to read an les... under the ytd entitlements...

And its not possible that your dh only made under 30k last year. Base pay alone is 27,000. Non locality BAH... base line bah without a location for e4 is 704.90 for 2012. Bas was what 325 last year? So that's another 12,000 so your dh made at least 40,000 last year and that's if he wasn't deployed or had any other special pays.

Quoting Anonymous:

My DH made under $30k last year, he is an E-4, in for four years last year. Sorry but unless you tell us your dh rank and how long he is in for, I call Bs!

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Oh no, you are absolutely right about that... military families have no clue how easy and good they have it. There were just a few discrepancies that I wanted to correct. As women on here are crazy and take things so literally. :)

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

When I left my position... The transition was daunting.  I had just realized how catered the military really is.

My first point of business, was healthcare.  For my family of 5 costs me $2000 a month, where before it was a fraction of that... Cosmetically.

Then when it came to housing, that BAH you speak of is still money given to you by the government.  CONUS you live beneath BAH you get to pocket the rest.  OCONUS not so much.  So really it depends on whether or not you live above or below your BAH.

and then some, but this is (again) based on my observation and experience.  Things may have changed since 2010.

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Well some of that is true. Most housing is privatized and your BAH is just taken for your housing and utility is capped So if you go over you pay for it.

You receive BAH whether you live in housing or not. Medical is free but dental is not. Tax.free shopping is really no big deal... but commissary privileges are a big deal.

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

tax free shopping free healthcare and dental.  If they live on base, then free rent and utilities... Etc.

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

this also

Quoting wkukid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM
You still received BAH you just use it to pay for housing and utilities. Since the vast majority of housing is privatized now it even still shows up on your les as income... they just take it in the allotments section.

We live off post and have our rent set up in an allotment because its easier than writing a check every month... does that mean that we don't really get that $1300?

Just because it immediately goes out of your check to pay for housing doesn't mean that you aren't still getting it.

Quoting Anonymous:

omg you're not listening. are you dense? Not Everyone Gets BAH. People can live on base (not pay rent, but not get the BAH), and they forfeit the BAH. Meaning, they make anywhere from $9600 to $14400 LESS than everyone making BAH.  Do you UNDERSTAND that now?

Quoting Anonymous:

Every married active duty or agr soldier gets BAH or OHA and if they get OHA they also get COLA, which is also income. Which is why I said that a married private makes $30,000.

I am not sure of the rules for unmarried parents, I think that as long as they have some kind of split custody that get BAH at the With dependents rate but I'm not sure about that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

this also

Quoting wkukid:

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM

60k is a reasonable salary for my part of the country. If you won't grow up because he isn't growing up, then you are both screwed. Get on a damn budget. Or just be broke all of the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

No, it's not on your LES, you just don't get any money if you live on base. I'm done arguing with you, ffs.  Be smart about this. Our LES doesn't show jack shit in BAH area, nor does the BAH affect his pay. He makes $14392 less a year than a person in this area making BAH. And the proof is on the W-2 and the LES. YTD is even different than someone who gets BAH.

Quoting Anonymous:

You still received BAH you just use it to pay for housing and utilities. Since the vast majority of housing is privatized now it even still shows up on your les as income... they just take it in the allotments section.

We live off post and have our rent set up in an allotment because its easier than writing a check every month... does that mean that we don't really get that $1300?

Just because it immediately goes out of your check to pay for housing doesn't mean that you aren't still getting it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

this also

Quoting wkukid:

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Don't worry. Just keep spending. It will come back to bite both of you HARD in the ass soon enough.

pce68
by Patti on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

You and your dh need to attend Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, and get on the same page.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN