Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We bring home 5k a month and are still negative.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My husband brings home 5k a month and not only are we ALWAYS negative in the bank, half are bills don't get paid. Sadly we don't even have many. Rent, utilities, cell phones, and car insurance.

He thinks it's because I spend to much and I think it's because he spends to much.

I sure as hell am NOT going to cut down on spending if he doesn't. I deserve to get things I want too.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
VannaMae307
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM
5 moms liked this

As an accountant, this makes my eye twitch.

mommaharley
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM

...I made 5K last YEAR.  As a family we made 21K, not counting my daughter's SSI.  I've gone negative a few times, yes, but our bills are always paid as close to on time as possible.  Budgeting is your friend.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I don't know where you live, so I don't know is $60,000 is a reasonable amount to live on or not (here it would be fine).  But I do know that couples shouldn't keep score.  If you're concerned about being in the negative, then you need to start with yourself.  You can not control his spending or any of his actions, but he may be persuaded to cut back as well if he sees you doing the same and how it makes a difference. 

I'm a saver and I married a spender.  I can preach and beg to my dh about cutting back his spending, but he really only starting being better about it once I really buckled down and made myself act super frugally.  Give a little, get a little, right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM

well, rent is a little expensive. We pay $950 a month. I think we should probably shoot for something cheaper when our lease is up. But, this place was to good a deal to pass up initially.

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

You must live in an expensive area or have a large family. I live on less than half that a month and we do just fine

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Thats after taxes. He would make more if that is take home.

Quoting wkukid:

5*12= 60.

Quoting twinmommy27:

Is it only 60? I was thinking 80-90 since its take home.

Quoting wkukid:

It's only 60k a year. That's not much anymore.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
We make half that with both of us working and we always have a positive bank account. Our bills are all paid too. It's called budgeting.
nicoal4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM
We bring about 12,000 a month and we usually only have a couple hundred at the end of the month.
ausomezombie2.0
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Really??
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

You guys NEED to come to a compromise. Like absolutely have to unless you want to start losing things like housing and vehicles. Its a slipperly slope! Maybe some financial counseling? Maybe even couples therapy to figure out why you both are trying to overcompensate?

lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM
My husband and I used to have that argument, years ago. Then we went through our bank statements to figure out how much money we were blowing, and where. As it turned out, we were both spending more than we should. We gave ourselves a weekly "allowance", and it worked out pretty well.
It's important to talk about it with being accusatory.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured