Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How old...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

was your DD when you let her start shaving? My DD turns 11 on Tuesday and she keeps asking me when she can shave and when will I teach her how. Her leg hairs are getting pretty long, they are blonde so you can't really tell unless you get up close. Not sure when, she starts middle school next year and I think I was around that age when I started. Maybe I am just not ready for her to grow up :( So how old did you or would you let your daughter?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommytoaangel
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:07 AM
As soon as i feel she is mature enough an resposible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinDoll
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:09 AM

My mom said not till I was 13... I got teased mercilessly about having hairy legs ( I have thick, black hair and hit puberty early). If she's gettin teased and you can actually see the hair when she wears shorts I'd let her. But your kid and all that. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:10 AM

I think she could handle it. I try to explain to her that once she starts she has to do it constantly because the hair won't grow back blonde again after a while.

Quoting Mommytoaangel:

As soon as i feel she is mature enough an resposible

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:10 AM
When they're old enough to really be concerned about it seems like a good time to me. My mom wouldn't let me, much less teach me, and I ended up shaving my arms too because I thought that's what you were supposed to do and I was determined to do it whether it was "allowed" or not. It can be embarrassing to not be allowed to shave :-/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:11 AM

shes 9 so i  feel she has at least 3 yrs before she needs to start shaving.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Well, she doesn't say anyone is teasing her. But she did have a much older cousin ask her "So when is your mom gonna let you shave them legs?" I was kinda shocked she said that...the woman is in her 30's.

Quoting TinDoll:

My mom said not till I was 13... I got teased mercilessly about having hairy legs ( I have thick, black hair and hit puberty early). If she's gettin teased and you can actually see the hair when she wears shorts I'd let her. But your kid and all that. :)

Livv066
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:14 AM
I was 11 when I asked my mom. She said 13 or 14. I was really embarrassed about my hairy legs. Mine were like your DDs, light blonde. There was no way I was waiting. I just took one of her rasors & did it anyway. Mom was pissed, but I felt so much better about myself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Lol...my DD asked me the other day if you have to shave your arms too. I told her no, I do not shave my arms. And her dad looked at me like he didn't know that lol. I said, I shave my armpits, but not my arms. He couldn't believe it!

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

When they're old enough to really be concerned about it seems like a good time to me. My mom wouldn't let me, much less teach me, and I ended up shaving my arms too because I thought that's what you were supposed to do and I was determined to do it whether it was "allowed" or not. It can be embarrassing to not be allowed to shave :-/

TinDoll
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Remember that song, " Say my name, say my name. If no one is around you... blah blah blah" ? Yeah it went, 

"Shave your legs, shave your legs

Gettin kinda hairy, actually kinda scary.

Come on shave your legs."

:( No wonder I became a mean bitch. LMFAO

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, she doesn't say anyone is teasing her. But she did have a much older cousin ask her "So when is your mom gonna let you shave them legs?" I was kinda shocked she said that...the woman is in her 30's.

Quoting TinDoll:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Well, I bought her a razor the other day that I thought would be good for her to use. She doesn't know it yet and I was thinking of giving it to her as a small birthday gift. But, I am still contemplating if it is a good idea or not.

Quoting Livv066:

I was 11 when I asked my mom. She said 13 or 14. I was really embarrassed about my hairy legs. Mine were like your DDs, light blonde. There was no way I was waiting. I just took one of her rasors & did it anyway. Mom was pissed, but I felt so much better about myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)