Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was I Rude?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM
  • 169 Replies
1 mom liked this
Yesterday at around 6pm my husband tells me that his brother and niece are staying the night. Okay, great! So I try to get enough dinner made for 6, instead of 4. But oh no, my Niece wanted to eat out. So of course we have to change our plans to accommodate an 11 y/o. Couldn't ever not let her have her way. (My BIL sees her about 2 times a week for a few hours. He gets over nights with her less than we do. About 3 times a year. And he always takes them at our house.) So, since he's getting an over night with her I try to be happy! But, I'm annoyed too.

Then my Niece comes up to me and says "I always have to decide everything when I'm with Daddy and/or Uncle. I hate having to pick dinner and what we do all the time. Can't they just be the grown ups?" Haha! I tried not to laugh in her face. My 8 year old stepdaughter runs things in our home too. DH would never dream of doing something she didn't want to do, we'll unless my. 5 year old stepson threw a tantrum about it. Then he gets his way.

I am getting off the point.

At 11:30 I was really tired, so I said good night to everyone. Made sure they knew they were welcome to anything in the fridge, how to use the remotes (even thiugh we'd been over it all before a thousand times) and that the bathroom was tidy, and I went to bed.

DH is FURIOUS because BIL thought Niece wanted to watch another movie and I wasn't out there to watch with them. He says it was rude of me to go to bed, and my Niece didn't get her way. I say, they could have watched it without me, if she really wanted to. And, I'm not staying up later than I want to to please an 11 year old. Not even my own kid. If she/he's not sick and not an infant, I'm going to bed when I'm tired.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this
You chose this life. Be happy with your choice, or change your situation.
TurboMom81
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM
46 moms liked this
I safely say you are the only one in that scenario who WASN'T rude.
Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

No, you weren't rude.  The sleepover was sprung on you last minute as it was and you were more than accommodating.  What is the deal with your niece and BIL that they can't seem to just spend time together without others around?  He always has the sleepovers at your house?  Your dh gets pissed because you went to bed and don't watch a movie with them?  Can't a daughter and father just be together? 

kappalopokis
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Thank you.

Was it rude for me to go to bed when we had company?

Quoting wickedfiress:

alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:21 AM
No, you weren't rude.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this
You do not need to stay up late with family. He is family she is family-when you are tired you go to bed. Your DH and BIL are both wrong.
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Holy cow your husband and is family are jerks! No you weren't rude
DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Quoting TurboMom81:

I safely say you are the only one in that scenario who WASN'T rude.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Does it matter?

You're not going to be happy about it either way.

You sound more miffed about the fact that the family you joined let's the children run the show.

Quoting kappalopokis:

Thank you.

Was it rude for me to go to bed when we had company?

Quoting wickedfiress:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Holy cow your husband and is family are jerks! No you weren't rude

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)