Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teach Your Daughters to Shoot

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Replies (121-127):
Cassidysmom611
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM

The only way I would be happy with my girls learning to shoot is if they were on the police force, or military. Otherwise, it's not happening in my house. 

keriley1
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

My girls will be learning to shoot, but not just because of this lol. I am SO excited to start teaching my oldest how to shoot a bow, I can do that no problem. My dad and DF are going to take me shooting sometime so I get better with a gun, and then once I am better I can help my girls learn too!

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I agree. My point to LoriLou was that abusive spouses/SOs is only one tiny portion of the reason women need to be able to protect themselves.

Quoting rgba:

If we increase support to those who are mentally ill in this country, teach our sons not to abuse (mostly by not abusing them), and teach our girls not to stay in abusive situations, that will take us much farther.

Quoting harehelper:

I said mentally unstable, not abusive. Although if someone is being abusive because they have a mental problem, then yeah, good luck "teaching" that behavior away too.

Quoting LoriLou75:

So, what? Abusive people are born that way? I don't believe that.

Quoting harehelper:

How on earth would you teach your son not to be mentally unstable? That is naive.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I would feel much better, if instead everyone just taught their son's not to be abusive assholes....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

nope..i'd go get one off the street to protect my dd....they're SO easy to get, it's sickening...all i have to do is contact someone i know, and BAM, i'll have a gun.  NO problem. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

No guns in our house. We're not paranoid or rednecks. And I hope I teach her enough about dating that she won't pick some loser for whom she'd need a restraining order. On the off chance that she does, we'll consider a gun at that point.

The way gun laws are changing-that will most likely be too  late....let's take CT for example (because it was on the news)  Guy is stalking your daughter and almost kills her.  You go for a rifle. 2 week wait. You go for a pistol...you have to take a class, pass show you can shoot and then....there is about 2 months for your background check to come back for a town permit.  Then 2 weeks for a state permit-and that is to PURCHASE. You need a CCP to PURCHASE in CT.  And private sales are governed by the same rules.

So now what? Do you wait?

And then you save your kids life-and get a mandatory year in jail. How stupid is that? You could in stead be ready in advance...and not risk losing your child......
-_-
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually taught them to not get involved with assholes that would need a restraining order. There are usually signs.....but they both can shoot-started when they were 5 as did the boys. Problem is this-cops will take weapons when there is domestic violence-and it doesn't matter who owns them....Happened in New York state and it resulted in the death of the woman AND her Father (whom she had gone to stay with)

Restraining orders aren't solely for failed relationships. You can't really teach anyone how to not be stalked by a random crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM

i'd rather take a year in jail trying to protect my child....when you are in a situation where you fear for your life due to a stalker, let me know...i've already been there, done that, and had a shotgun in bed with me for protection at the time..I didn't have time for a permit in the midst of fleeing the state.   Would i use it in the situation i was in personally? most likely not, cuz the stalker was deathly afraid of guns, and after showing it to him thru the door, and then having cops stationed outside my house for protection,  he got the hint and left me alone til i was able to get out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

nope..i'd go get one off the street to protect my dd....they're SO easy to get, it's sickening...all i have to do is contact someone i know, and BAM, i'll have a gun.  NO problem. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

No guns in our house. We're not paranoid or rednecks. And I hope I teach her enough about dating that she won't pick some loser for whom she'd need a restraining order. On the off chance that she does, we'll consider a gun at that point.

The way gun laws are changing-that will most likely be too  late....let's take CT for example (because it was on the news)  Guy is stalking your daughter and almost kills her.  You go for a rifle. 2 week wait. You go for a pistol...you have to take a class, pass show you can shoot and then....there is about 2 months for your background check to come back for a town permit.  Then 2 weeks for a state permit-and that is to PURCHASE. You need a CCP to PURCHASE in CT.  And private sales are governed by the same rules.

So now what? Do you wait?

And then you save your kids life-and get a mandatory year in jail. How stupid is that? You could in stead be ready in advance...and not risk losing your child......

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I said the same thing!

Quoting rgba:

How about...teach our sons not to abuse their wives...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)