Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teach Your Daughters to Shoot

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

and if it was used in self defense, in a domestic violence incident, wouldnt cause jail time...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

it was an unregisterd gun...they are so easy to obtain, it's ridiculous...my friend had it for years, and lent it to me for safety reasons

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

and no, the gun was not registered...would i have used it if need be? Absolutely. 

Quoting Anonymous:

a gunsafe won't protect a stalker from killing the stalked either....no person being stalked is going to keep their gun locked up....and i am speaking from experience..i slept with a shotgun in bed with me to protect myself.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

and then theres the concealed weapons some women hide just to stay safe

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually taught them to not get involved with assholes that would need a restraining order. There are usually signs.....but they both can shoot-started when they were 5 as did the boys. Problem is this-cops will take weapons when there is domestic violence-and it doesn't matter who owns them....Happened in New York state and it resulted in the death of the woman AND her Father (whom she had gone to stay with)

It would be registered to you if you purchased it legally in most states.  So how would they NOT know you had it?

Not to mention if you have kids-how concealed is concealed?  Hmmmm? And if it has a trigger lock-how useful is it if you have to get to it-unlock the trigger lock and then load it?

A gunsafe is clearly the way to go (and my guess is it will be made the law eventually.....)  But that wouldn't protect you from a stupid cop.

How did you pull that off?  You can't DO that in most states-don't they background check?

What state doesn't background check?

And if you used it you would BOTH go to jail. What happens to your kids then?  Why not just purchase legally? 

Of course it would. Do you read the news? You can't get off on your criminal act  (and your friends) because you used it to kill someone!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM

hmm...many women in my state have gotten off using the self defense story...mine would have been no different..and btw, when this happened to me, it was 20yrs ago...laws have changed since then. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

and if it was used in self defense, in a domestic violence incident, wouldnt cause jail time...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

it was an unregisterd gun...they are so easy to obtain, it's ridiculous...my friend had it for years, and lent it to me for safety reasons

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

and no, the gun was not registered...would i have used it if need be? Absolutely. 

Quoting Anonymous:

a gunsafe won't protect a stalker from killing the stalked either....no person being stalked is going to keep their gun locked up....and i am speaking from experience..i slept with a shotgun in bed with me to protect myself.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

and then theres the concealed weapons some women hide just to stay safe

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually taught them to not get involved with assholes that would need a restraining order. There are usually signs.....but they both can shoot-started when they were 5 as did the boys. Problem is this-cops will take weapons when there is domestic violence-and it doesn't matter who owns them....Happened in New York state and it resulted in the death of the woman AND her Father (whom she had gone to stay with)

It would be registered to you if you purchased it legally in most states.  So how would they NOT know you had it?

Not to mention if you have kids-how concealed is concealed?  Hmmmm? And if it has a trigger lock-how useful is it if you have to get to it-unlock the trigger lock and then load it?

A gunsafe is clearly the way to go (and my guess is it will be made the law eventually.....)  But that wouldn't protect you from a stupid cop.

How did you pull that off?  You can't DO that in most states-don't they background check?

What state doesn't background check?

And if you used it you would BOTH go to jail. What happens to your kids then?  Why not just purchase legally? 

Of course it would. Do you read the news? You can't get off on your criminal act  (and your friends) because you used it to kill someone!

Mom2_Jimmy_Anka
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Gun laws also vary by state. I live in VT. No permit is required to carry a weapon, concealed or unconcealed. You just have to be 21. If you buy the gun through a store they do a background check. If you get the gun from a private party, ie someone selling a gun they purchased, no background check or transfer is needed. You just need a bill of sale showing that you bought the gun. It is completely legal to buy a gun this way in VT. The seller cannot get in trouble. S/he just needs a bill of sale saying they sold the gun and as far as they know the person is not a felon. The only way a seller can get in trouble is if the buyer is under 18 or the seller knows the buyer is a felon.

Nicole1357
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM

It's important to know how to protect yourself in all aspects!

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Its not always boyfriends. When I was 16-18 I was stalked by a mentally unstable man where my mother worked. He saw my picture on her desk and started showing up at events and places he knew I would be. I was unable to get even a restraining order back then because stalking laws were not even what they are now.

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually taught them to not get involved with assholes that would need a restraining order. There are usually signs.....but they both can shoot-started when they were 5 as did the boys.
Problem is this-cops will take weapons when there is domestic violence-and it doesn't matter who owns them....Happened in New York state and it resulted in the death of the woman AND her Father (whom she had gone to stay with)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM

thats good to know...thanks..i was thinking about moving up there

Quoting Mom2_Jimmy_Anka:

Gun laws also vary by state. I live in VT. No permit is required to carry a weapon, concealed or unconcealed. You just have to be 21. If you buy the gun through a store they do a background check. If you get the gun from a private party, ie someone selling a gun they purchased, no background check or transfer is needed. You just need a bill of sale showing that you bought the gun. It is completely legal to buy a gun this way in VT. The seller cannot get in trouble. S/he just needs a bill of sale saying they sold the gun and as far as they know the person is not a felon. The only way a seller can get in trouble is if the buyer is under 18 or the seller knows the buyer is a felon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM

good point...not all stalkers are boyfriends or even remotely aquainted...all it takes is one nut case

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Its not always boyfriends. When I was 16-18 I was stalked by a mentally unstable man where my mother worked. He saw my picture on her desk and started showing up at events and places he knew I would be. I was unable to get even a restraining order back then because stalking laws were not even what they are now.

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually taught them to not get involved with assholes that would need a restraining order. There are usually signs.....but they both can shoot-started when they were 5 as did the boys.
Problem is this-cops will take weapons when there is domestic violence-and it doesn't matter who owns them....Happened in New York state and it resulted in the death of the woman AND her Father (whom she had gone to stay with)

IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM
My girls are seven and have already started learning to shoot...one reason is protection, but it's more because they want to go hunting wot their daddy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BlessedBeX3
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM

lol thats a good reason. dh wants to teach them around like 10-13yrs old. We are still debating on ages. idk I dont want them to know how to shoot a gun at a younger age bc it will just open their minds to things that they dont need to think about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

like, being educated on how to use a gun safely? and other safety issues involving guns?

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

lol thats a good reason. dh wants to teach them around like 10-13yrs old. We are still debating on ages. idk I dont want them to know how to shoot a gun at a younger age bc it will just open their minds to things that they dont need to think about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured