Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teach Your Daughters to Shoot

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
michiganmom5150
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I agree, but I have boys and my youngest will never be able to own a gun. My oldest has already expressed interest, as I go shooting. It's a good skill to know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM

We don't own guns. I'd probably shoot someone if I did, so I am protecting the world from myself.

I do have baseball bats and golf clubs randomly placed throughout the house and my girls know how to use them. Thanks though.

BlessedBeX3
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM

there is knowing about gun safety and then filling their heads with frighting thoughts of why they would need to use a gun. I think at a certain age, its appropriate to teach them, but not at a young age. just what i think

Quoting Anonymous:

like, being educated on how to use a gun safely? and other safety issues involving guns?

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

lol thats a good reason. dh wants to teach them around like 10-13yrs old. We are still debating on ages. idk I dont want them to know how to shoot a gun at a younger age bc it will just open their minds to things that they dont need to think about.

smalltowngal
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

and no, the gun was not registered...would i have used it if need be? Absolutely. 

Quoting Anonymous:

a gunsafe won't protect a stalker from killing the stalked either....no person being stalked is going to keep their gun locked up....and i am speaking from experience..i slept with a shotgun in bed with me to protect myself.  

How did you pull that off?  You can't DO that in most states-don't they background check?

What state doesn't background check?

Most states, not sure if any, do background checks on shot guns. In Ohio, all they care is that your 18. I don't think there are background checks on hand guns if you buy them at auctions or off of someone directly. I think NY and Chicago, you have to register all hand guns but in most states, you don't need to. 

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Will do ;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Quoting harehelper:

You don't always have to "get involved" with that type. THEY get involved with YOU.

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually taught them to not get involved with assholes that would need a restraining order. There are usually signs.....but they both can shoot-started when they were 5 as did the boys. Problem is this-cops will take weapons when there is domestic violence-and it doesn't matter who owns them....Happened in New York state and it resulted in the death of the woman AND her Father (whom she had gone to stay with)

Then one has to wonder how it never happened to anyone in my extended  family-the 40 or so of us who are Adults?  Education?  Where we meet  people? Looking for the warning signs? 

How come it hasn't happened to any of us? It can't all be luck.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lnrmom:

We don't own guns. I'd probably shoot someone if I did, so I am protecting the world from myself.

I do have baseball bats and golf clubs randomly placed throughout the house and my girls know how to use them. Thanks though.

How does a 13 year old with a bat defend against a grown man weighting 220 who is 6 feet tall?

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting harehelper:

You don't always have to "get involved" with that type. THEY get involved with YOU.

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually taught them to not get involved with assholes that would need a restraining order. There are usually signs.....but they both can shoot-started when they were 5 as did the boys. Problem is this-cops will take weapons when there is domestic violence-and it doesn't matter who owns them....Happened in New York state and it resulted in the death of the woman AND her Father (whom she had gone to stay with)

Then one has to wonder how it never happened to anyone in my extended  family-the 40 or so of us who are Adults?  Education?  Where we meet  people? Looking for the warning signs? 

How come it hasn't happened to any of us? It can't all be luck.....

I don't think your odds on meeting a psycho are all that high, or at least I would hope not! LOL I am not saying it happens a lot, just that there are times it does.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM
You could just teach them to shoot it for "fun".. Don't explain that part yet and just tell them they are learning to handle them and shoot them properly with good aim. I love to go out just to practice.. I'm not the other anon btw

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

there is knowing about gun safety and then filling their heads with frighting thoughts of why they would need to use a gun. I think at a certain age, its appropriate to teach them, but not at a young age. just what i think

Quoting Anonymous:

like, being educated on how to use a gun safely? and other safety issues involving guns?

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

lol thats a good reason. dh wants to teach them around like 10-13yrs old. We are still debating on ages. idk I dont want them to know how to shoot a gun at a younger age bc it will just open their minds to things that they dont need to think about.

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Well said!

Quoting suetoo:

And teach our sons. Learning to handle guns safely is the foundation for responsible gun ownership. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)