Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

yard sales

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 9 Replies
I need tips! We are having a massive yard sale this year before we move in late spring. I don't know the first thing about yard sales so any helpful information would be helpful!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Make sure you put price tags on everything or else people are going to be walking up to you constantly asking how much it is. Don't price tems high. Trust me, unless they're super expensive items in high dempand, they wonkt sale. Be friendly. Word of mouth spreads fast exspecially if its a small neighborhood and you plan on having other yardsales. Start early. They usually start between 6 and 7 in our area.
Nicole1357
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM

People always haggle so always price a bit higher on what you would expect to get for an item. That way when they haggle, you can go down on your price some. 

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Price low. You'll sell much more. Lots of local signs, post on CL. Add the big ticket items on CL to get people out.

Tools, military stuff and antiques always go first. Baby stuff never sells too well for me, except pack n plays and strollers in good shape.

Good luck!
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Oh and pick a time that's not too early if advertised well people will show up up to an hour or two early!
abecee
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Make it easy on yourself.  Keep in mind the goal is to get rid of the stuff.  If you price things too high and aren't willing to lower lower lower the price you will have to repack it all and move it with you or take it to the salvation army.  Who wants to do that? Also have a big FREE pile. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Price low and have it organized as best as you can.

One thing I hate about yard sales is, you get some who price their items as brand new store bought prices. Like clothes, I will find clothes that are marked 3 bucks to 5 bucks, well I always pass over those items because I am not paying 5 bucks for a used shirt for me or my kids. However, I will pay 1.00 or less for it. Just remember to price low, you want to get rid of items not get rich......

EvilQueenMommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM

if you have things that are the same price just mark the table or throw them all in  box like little toys for 50 cents or whatever

AprilDJC
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM
You can also do a " bag" sale for clothes. Provide brown paper bags, everything clothingwise that can fit in is $5 or so. Always check the contents though since people will stick other stuff in!

Small toys can be good for bag sale too.

Advertise like crazy

Start early (by 7am)

Have everuthing laid out neatly and organized

Have plenty of change

A calculator is handy for adding up purchases

kirita323
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

What everyone else has said is true. I've never had a sale myself but I am a seasoned, 3rd generation garage saler lol. People can tell what's valuable or not, so price things right. If it's only valuable to you, then don't price it too high. I've been to so many sales where somebody is emotionally attached to something so they price it higher than what it should. Shoppers can tell if you fall into one of two categories: person trying to get rid of stuff, or person trying to make money. If you do it right, you'll do both.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)