Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yup, I got unhealthy food on FS last night.....But, did I deserve this....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 124 Replies
1 mom liked this

For the 1st time ever I was judged in line for what I bought with my FS.

I buy natural healthy food, with only healthy snacks usually. I had had a crazy few days, my body was feeling crappy (I have MS, and a lung condition) And DH was out of town for 2 days. So I ran into Walmart after dropping DD off to sell Girl Scout cookies.

I grabbed wheat bread, American cheese, (for grilled cheese) a can of tomato soup, and I have been trying to loose weight so I grabbed 2 boxes of skinny cow candy and cookies to help my sweet craving. That I'd not what I normally buy, but whatever.

The lady behind me on line was watching everything I did with my kids. Then I put my stuff up and then took my EBT card out to pay. She made a huge sigh and loudly said,
" I am so glad my tax money is allowing you to buy crap like that! ". I was shocked and did not know what to say....... I just said, "ummm.....I am just getting food like you!" "Then she said, "yeah, but I do not have kids I am feeding like that-no veggies, just soup cookies and crap! I was so flustered and my autistic DD who hates this kind of thing was rocking with her hands over her ears. "I just said, "I am sorry you do not like my choices!" Quickly grabbed my stuff and left. And as I was leaving the lady shouted "well get off your lazy ass and get a job then I do not care care about your choices!" I started cry as I walking to the car and ended up sobbing once I was in the car.

If only she knew what we have gone through to get to this place!! I never ever thought we would need PA.

of course after I could think of so many quick come backs, but I was too taken back!!

I understand some people have a problem with FA, but my kids need to eat. Yes, it was not the healthiest, but it's not McDonald's. And j needed something quick and easy. And yes, the cookies were crap, but I trying SO hard to loose weight which I need to do for my health, and sweets are my big weakness.

I do not want to be on FS and PA, but circumstances beyond my control put me in this place. We were in a great place till my illness hit. We had over 7,000 in savings, and added to it each month. DH, worked full time and me part time making $30 an hour and making almost as much as DH did full time........

Then BOOM! 3 years ago I was in a coma for 6 weeks with birth of my last baby. I woke and had lost everything. I had to relearn to talk, walk, read write, eat, etc. I had traumatic brain injury form oxygen loss, and a permanent lung condition that will lead to a lung transplant in 5-10 yrs. And after a year I developed MS as a result of one if the meds I was on. Our insurance had a huge deductible, only covered half the rehab, and we had unpaid bills piled up when I got home. I paid the bills, so DH was lost with it and was overwhelmed with a dying pregnant wife (they did not expect me to survive) and two young kids to care for. And his business basically took a huge dive due to him being away do much to care for everything.

So 2 years after he had to close it down and because he owned the business he did not qualify for unemployment.

With a hard painful work I far surpassed what the docs expected out of my recovery. I went back to work for 6 months but I could not keep up, my health was deteriorating and my family life was falling apart. So it broke heart to do so, but I filed for disability and eventually FS.

My DH has been working his butt off getting his computer web design business going, and also starting a guitar restoration business . And the best part is they are both work from home jobs for the most part, and he is able to help me with the kids and house because some days I can not get out of bed. And after a year he is finally doing well and if it keeps going we will be able to get off PA soon.

And even though the docs say it is not probable, I am determined to be able to do some kind of job when 3 yr old is in kindergarten.

Anyway, that is my story. We are far from "sitting on our lazy asses taking PA." I wish I coulda told that lady all that stuff!!!

So, sorry this ended up so long. This post started as a vent, but after sharing my story maybe it will also show that not all people on PA are lazy people sitting on their butts taking a handout!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamasomedaysoon
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this
She's an ass hole.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Thanks! I am still shocked over it!

Quoting Mamasomedaysoon:

She's an ass hole.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM
11 moms liked this
I don't believe that this happened. Only on CM do people get yelled at in the grocery.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM
5 moms liked this
I still can't believe some peoe have the audacity to verbalize their judgements in a public setting like that without knowing anything. Sorry you had to deal with that POS woman. *hugs*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I've never heard of anyone paying attention to how someone pays for their food until I read about it here.  I can't wrap my head around it!  I've never once watched someone in line so closely to check out what they bought and how they paid.  And to my knowledge, no one has ever done that to me either.  

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

She is an ass.  She had NO right to comment, and she sounds like a truly miserable person.  Just goes to show, you shouldn't judge people because you have no idea what their story is.  Don't let losers get to you like that.  I would have hit her with my cart.

jaytee
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
3 moms liked this
I've come to the conclusion that unfortunately most people suck!

Sorry that happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Where do you people live that people act like this? I have only heard of this on cafemom....
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Rough patch doesn't even describe that :( I hope things are able to get better for your family. Stay stong :)
slransde
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Same

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never heard of anyone paying attention to how someone pays for their food until I read about it here.  I can't wrap my head around it!  I've never once watched someone in line so closely to check out what they bought and how they paid.  And to my knowledge, no one has ever done that to me either.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN