Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My child knows better than to throw fits or have tantrums/meltdowns! I taught him/her how to behave!

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 460 Replies
18 moms liked this

I have heard mothers on here say pretty much what I wrote for my title when a discussion is going on about a child having a tantrum or throwing a fit in a public place - or any place....I'm talking children 4 years old and younger.  And, these mothers aren't just talking about public - but, EVER.  As in "My kid never has tantrums....I taught him early on it is unacceptable"

My question to those parents who have children that young who "Know better", to not have a tantrum or meltdown....HOW did you 'teach' your child to not behave in a way that is completely developmentally appropriate for their stage of emotional and physical development?  What, exactly, did you do to 'nip that in the bud"?

Also - did you ever consider that your child's NATURAL temperament is simply more laid back and less intense than some children?  Did you ever consider your child's lack of tantrums/meltdowns has nothing to do with you or anything you did as a parent....and mostly  to do with your child's internal temperament?  Did you ever consider that, dare I say, you got 'lucky' -- or have an 'easy child'?  

On that....I'm curious about parents who have more than one child --- one child was fairly calm and rarely had tantrums or 'fits'....where another child crumbled anytime they were told 'no' or were asked to 'transition'?  What are your thoughts about parents who take the credit or dish out the blame when it comes to things like their child's tantrums (or lack thereof)?

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
s.osborne
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM
8 moms liked this
My ds did it once about a year ago, threw himself on the floor and I snatched him up and spanked him and sent him to time out and he literally never did it again. He'll be 4 April 29th.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM
54 moms liked this
If only I could "teach" the autism right out of him.

Sorry. I just hate those bullshitters. My ass your kids never had tantrums.
anotherhalf
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM

When my son was very young, maybe 10-12 months old, he would scream bloody murder if I just brought him into a store.  I had no idea what to do so I would immediately leave.  I couldn't shop with him for a couple of months.  How can you teach a child that young not to do that?

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting s.osborne:

My ds did it once about a year ago, threw himself on the floor and I snatched him up and spanked him and sent him to time out and he literally never did it again. He'll be 4 April 29th.

Okay - well first of all, the first time he did that, he was already almost 3 years old?!?  He didn't ever have a meltdown like that before then?  I would say if it took him that long to show that kind of behavior, he is most likely a fairly laid back kid?

Also, the reason he may not have done it again could be that he is a laid back kid, and nothing to do with the fact you punished his natural expression of his emotions at an age when his verbal skills and self-control abilities are not that of an adult.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM
7 moms liked this

I always notice that parents that say that only ever have one kid... It is a game changer to have that second!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM
24 moms liked this
It's just moms pretending to be perfect parents.
EveyTri
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM
3 moms liked this

The only kids I've ever met who NEVER had tantrums were those who were hit and whose parents terrified them and broke their spirit.

They don't have tantrums, but I've seen those same kids more than any others bully other kids, mistreat younger/smaller children and animals, and direct anger/frustration either at themselves or at anything they are able to control with fear and pain themselves.

terpmama
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine don't have like epic throw downs... Never a kicking and screaming one... Mostly just whining and crying... But, I sign with them so it cuts down the frustration related ones (because they have the tools to express themselves. We do t tolerate them at home or out (I have left places when I threaten to). And the grandparents are the same way (which helps... My kiddos have the same limits everywhere). 

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Completely agree!!! I have 4 kids. I was a first time mom with my oldest and I can't tell you how many times he flipped out in public. He had a lot of stuff to deal with. I didn't provide a very stable home for him then I was a ingle mom and his biological father just stepped in and out of his life and caused my oldest ds a lot of distress and anxiety issues. He would have horrible meltdowns in public. My second son, never had those issues. He's a very laid back kid and just went with the flow bye also had a very stable home life and parents. My third son would cry loudly but never all out temper tantrums. He'll be 5 in April.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CBMMOM
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I think some kids you have to teach and sometimes you just get lucky. I have 3 kids. Two needed to be taught to behave. The other one never gave me problems. My "easy" child. : ) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN