Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*** Edit ***Special needs is a bunch of crap ! How do you know if your 5 yr old has a special need ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

I would like to thank those of you who have replied sincerely and nicely . I edited the original title in the hopes of mothers reading the post. ( As most of us know , if your title isn't a drama starter it goes unseen  That was proven , yet again , with my original post )  I was by no means calling any of  you termites. Simply saying that the replies come out of the woodwork when it's a drama starting title and subject .

I do know that MC isn't a support group . I wanted to stay Anon because of certain family members here . It isn't something I want to discuss with those certain family members .

*Apparently the only way any mothers here will actually answer you is if you degrade the special needs subject. I was here asking a sincere question from mothers of special needs children. Did any of you answer. NO! But if I were to say special needs was a bunch of crap you would have all come out of the woodwork like termites! *

My 5 yr old is very smart. He missed the cutoff for kindergarten . I was already teaching him at home. But since he will not be able to go to kindergarten until next school year I have been making sure to teach him at home . 

Sometimes I think part of his issues are because he is around Mom and Dad too much. 

Other times I wonder if there is something else going on . 

He is VERY HYPER . He has trouble concentrating on one single thing , but only if asked to do so. He can concentrate on things he WANTS to concentrate on . 

He will go from one extreme to another in a heartbeat. Mostly happens when he his asked something that wasn't already in his line of thought . He will freak out so badly it's like he's gone crazy for those few minutes. 

I made the mistake one time of saying he was acting like a maniac . Well now if he gets all upset he will tell his Dad or myself that he has the *maniacs* and can't calm down. 

I am at a loss .

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM

BUMP 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Speak with your pediatrician. They will steer you in the right direction
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I know this part of it already. 

I know that there are many mothers here with special needs children. That's why I brought the question here :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Speak with your pediatrician. They will steer you in the right direction

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM

bump

gma12.1
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Yes talk to the Dr what is going on could be that he needs to be tested to rule anything out. Since he isn't in school now is the best time. If there is a problem you have the time to find out what to do, you won't have to have him miss school for anything.

pce68
by Patti on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM

It's really hard to say since he is mostly with you and Dad. Does he go to Sunday school or any group activities? If so, ask the teachers or coaches there if they have noticed any behavior issues. If he doesn't do any other activities, then you may need to wait and see how he responds at school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Have you tried limiting sensory input?  No TV or radio when he studying.  No open drapes with cars going by.  Just make a quiet, peaceful environment where he can focus on learning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM

When he is doing * learning activities * there is no other backround noise 

Thank You for your reply 

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you tried limiting sensory input?  No TV or radio when he studying.  No open drapes with cars going by.  Just make a quiet, peaceful environment where he can focus on learning.

Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I knew something was different more along the lines of 4 yrs old. He was very slow to speak clearly and some things he should've known how to answer at that age he couldnt. He would just repeat what you said to him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)