Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

gay brother in law

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 636 Replies
3 moms liked this
*deep breath* I have a feeling I might get bashed for this. Asking y'all to be considerate and kind in advance.

My husband and I are very religious Catholics. We plan on raising our kids in the faith. Recently, my husbands brother "came out" as gay. We were surprised , but he's apparently been dating his "partner" for almost two years now. His family has been very accepting of it.

My children are a toddler and infant at this point. We don't know how to handle being around uncle John and his boyfriend with them as they get older. We would prefer him or any other partner never be around our child, as I don't want homosexuality to be seen as normal.

Is it unreasonable that we ask him to not being the partner when he visits? I'm so torn on what to do about holidays...we obviously can't ask that he not be invited.... :( I just don't want my kids to lose their innocence at such young ages or to view homosexual relationships as okay.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by LoKitty on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM
49 moms liked this

I would say... just tell him straight out and then his reaction is what you deserve....

sorry, no sympathy, because with family like that, no one needs enemies. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:20 PM
36 moms liked this
It's funny because I thought Catholics are open minded and accepting. That's how I was raised anyways.......

Get over yourself. Don't shelter your poor children. Your kind is the last thing our world needs more of.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM
29 moms liked this
So your raising your children in a faith that numerous priests have molested children and just moved them to another parish but the uncle is being sinful. That's just hypocritical of you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM
31 moms liked this
Disgusting.

So you want him to leave his SO out of family gatherings so you can continue to be bigots and raise close minded children?

Yeah that will go over well with everyone.

Look out your kids might catch the gayness!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:23 PM
5 moms liked this
Tell him how you feel then any event they are invited to stay away from. I feel sorry your kids have you as a parent. You are why christians like me get a bad name.
KeriAZ
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM
10 moms liked this
You two don't deserve to have Uncle John as family. You are a disgrace. Nothing more to say then your children are going to grow up in a confusing world.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aislin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM
6 moms liked this

Are the holidays done at your house? If they are you can ask him yo leave his partner at home but don't be surprised when he doesn't show up. If you are not hosting the holiday celebrations then you have no right to spread your bigoted believes and ask for a damned thing.

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM
16 moms liked this
I am Catholic and I am appalled at the OP. I was raised to be accepting of ALL people and I have raised my children that way as well.
OP- I hope your brother in law and the rest of the family exclude you and not your BIL and his partner!

Quoting Anonymous:

It's funny because I thought Catholics are open minded and accepting. That's how I was raised anyways.......

Get over yourself. Don't shelter your poor children. Your kind is the last thing our world needs more of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM
33 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM
10 moms liked this

Why is so hard to teach your children that they love each other and it doesn't matter if they are gay or straight?

Isn't that what god would have wanted? To accept others?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)