Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should grandparents be able to adopt their grandchildren?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 197 Replies

I have nothing against Grandparents adopting their grandchildren because my SO was adopted by his grandparents after his mother was brought to the hospital in labor with meth in her system and he had drugs in his system too when he was born. She had the chance to get him back, but failed to ever visit him while he was in a group home but when his grandparents tried to adopt him, his mother got a lawyer and was 100% against it, obviously she lost. But I think he's a wonderful person today because of the fact he was raised by his grandparents who were good people and his mother was not.

But my cousin who is 23 just gave birth to a baby from a one night stand and forgot to take her birthcontrol and she wanted to give him up for adoption. But her parents told her that if she was going to give their only grandchild up for adoption, they were going to adopt him and raise him as their own. She would be able to visit him as much as she wanted but all parenting rights would be theirs. She told them no, that if they did that, her mistake would have to linger with her and she wouldn't be able to "get away from it" and that she would take legal action against them.

What do you think? Would you let your parents adopt your child if you didn't want them and they wanted to adopt them?

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM
4 moms liked this

I think they absolutely should be able to.. However, mom should get a say too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:07 AM
6 moms liked this

As long as the child had a good home, I don't care

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I think it is a mistake to think your own child is a mistake.

As a grandparent, I surely would want to be able to claim my grandchild if all possible.

Thankfully, I do not think any of my children will put me in this situation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM
5 moms liked this

I think they should be able to - but only if the parent approves it.

amberstars
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:10 AM

No way.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:12 AM
3 moms liked this
If she doesn't want the baby why does her opinion matter if her parents do want it?
marihla
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I think they could do a temporary custody order, until she's ready. Maybe she could even move in with them. Honestly I think the best thing for a child would be to be adopted by an able relative, unless that is not an option. 

Your picture is so pretty! You're adorable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Yes they should providing they are in a position to take care of the child. If they are adopting it to keep it at poverty level, no.
paulswifey11
by TashaL on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

If she doesn't want the baby why does her opinion matter if her parents do want it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HousewifeNina
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM
2 moms liked this
If you are giving the baby up, you shouldnt have a say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured