Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents' highest level of education vs. yours?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dad has a BS, my mom went to a 4 year college but never graduated.

Grandparents? One grandfather has a Masters, I'd don't think any of the others went to college, but I'm not positive. I know they all graduated from HS though. Oh and my step-grandmother has her Masters too.

One sister has her BA and our youngest sister hasn't finished college.

I have a BA and MA.

DH's fam:

Dad did a 2 year trade school, Mom HS grad, his grandmother AND her mother (great grandmother!) both have/had BS's. His grandmother is in her 80's so I think it's pretty amazing that her mother went to college!

DH has a BA.

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
amberstars
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Dad went to a school in FL for criminal justice but when he found out how corrupt the US Justice System is he dropped out.

Mom has a B.S. in Social Sciences that she never used.  She's worked in restuarants all her life.

I have some college.  I'm Muslim and it is hard for me to afford school.  Even school in my state is beyond my reach due to religious reasons.  I've had to quit school twice so far (well one school I'm still enrolled in-I need to drop out of that school).  I'm hoping to eventually go to Dar Al Uloom University in Riyadh for Early Childhood Education. 

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Our generation was the first to have college graduates. One of my brothers went through West Point, one got an associates degree, and I have a BSEE. My dh has a master's degree. Some but not many of my cousins graduated from college. All of my kids will graduate from college...the eldest is finishing up 8 years to be a pharmacist.

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Awesome.  It's one of those things that we don't even think about, but we do have to have people who have expertise to have so many different things we have in our households.  Beautiful things.  Does sound fun and interesting - except the thermal chemistry.  Yikes!  That sounds a little rough!  My dd is a bio major right now, and she started her freshman year with physics, chemistry, and biology of Aids.  I saw her chem mid-term when she came home winter break, and I didn't understand a thing!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't either until I went to college!  It was lots of fun getting it to.  My favorite class was thermal chemistry.  I wrote paper after paper applying melting points of glazes and what chemicals make different colors on pottery.  I was the only art student to get an A.  I also did a research paper on what paint pigments were made from.  One of the yellow oil paints is made from fresh cow poop that have only been fed mangos.... Fun right? Wash your hands well after painting class....

Quoting DarlaHood:

I didn't know they had a Ceramics major.  That seems pretty cool.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mom is a lawyer, dad has a degree in higher math.

her parents?  Grandma got a degree in math, grandpa on economics.

Both of moms grand fathers were pastors.

his parents?  Grandma graduated highschool pregnant and married to grandpa and grandpa didn't graduate.

I have a degree in ceramics, and minors in math and psychology.  If I would have gone a fifth year I would have also have a degree in math education and art Ed as well as majors in math and psychology. Hubby got accepted medical school and I was pregnant with number one so I just did four years instead of five,

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:21 AM

I wonder too, how did they figure out about the Mangos?  I know, lets get some Mangos and not let the cows eat anything else and see what happens!!  Someone somewhere had to think this was an idea worth trying out.  I always imagine what that night was like!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't either until I went to college!  It was lots of fun getting it to.  My favorite class was thermal chemistry.  I wrote paper after paper applying melting points of glazes and what chemicals make different colors on pottery.  I was the only art student to get an A.  I also did a research paper on what paint pigments were made from.  One of the yellow oil paints is made from fresh cow poop that have only been fed mangos.... Fun right? Wash your hands well after painting class....

Quoting DarlaHood:

I didn't know they had a Ceramics major.  That seems pretty cool.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mom is a lawyer, dad has a degree in higher math.

her parents?  Grandma got a degree in math, grandpa on economics.

Both of moms grand fathers were pastors.

his parents?  Grandma graduated highschool pregnant and married to grandpa and grandpa didn't graduate.

I have a degree in ceramics, and minors in math and psychology.  If I would have gone a fifth year I would have also have a degree in math education and art Ed as well as majors in math and psychology. Hubby got accepted medical school and I was pregnant with number one so I just did four years instead of five,

bellawomen
by Summer on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:30 AM
My mom finished 8th grade and that's it. She was registered for high school, but really didn't go. She officially dropped out sometime sophomore year. I don't know who my dad is.

My grandma, grandpa, and great-grandparents all finished high school.

I have 2 bachelor degrees and currently working on a 3rd.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mstricey
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Both stopped in middle school.. I have an AA.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM

my parents were born in 1931 and 1948.  both parents probably only have a grade 5-level education.  my dad was caught in the war when japan invaded china so all the schools in his province were bombed and he had to hide under bridges etc with his grandmother to survive.  having said that, my father went back to jamaica to live (where his family is from) and while he didn't have a degree of any sort, taught himself english (read/write) by studying the dictionary cover to cover.  he read dictionaries/thesaurus nightly for the rest of his life and would practice sentence structure and grammar by writing out paragraphs or sentences.  even after he passed away and we were cleaning out his study, i found scraps of paper with random sentences and paragraphs. 

my mom's family was so poor growing up that they left her and her brother back in their village while they went to find work in another city.  i actually just found this out a few weekends ago; my mom was about 6 at the time. imagine that, being left alone with your 9yr old brother fending for yourselves on a daily basis, living in a shack with no lights or running water or food in a remote village in china... so education was pretty low on the scale for survival.

those were different times back then; it was all about survival of the fittest and my parents did what they could to survive.

my sister and i are both college graduates.  i have a degree in comp sci and my sister in arts (languages)

SwtSnowflake2
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM
My mom has an associates. My dad has some college credits but never finished anything.

I have a Bachelors.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Mom has some college hours but only went after i did. Dad has a cert for printing. Grandparents on my dads side didn't finish highschool but grandmother did get her ged in her 60s. I have an associates. For now.
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM

my mom got her bs when i was 2 and went back and got her masters when i was 2.7 my father got his degree when i was 23. 

I have yet to go back to school so i have some college but have not finished 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured