Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents' highest level of education vs. yours?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dad has a BS, my mom went to a 4 year college but never graduated.

Grandparents? One grandfather has a Masters, I'd don't think any of the others went to college, but I'm not positive. I know they all graduated from HS though. Oh and my step-grandmother has her Masters too.

One sister has her BA and our youngest sister hasn't finished college.

I have a BA and MA.

DH's fam:

Dad did a 2 year trade school, Mom HS grad, his grandmother AND her mother (great grandmother!) both have/had BS's. His grandmother is in her 80's so I think it's pretty amazing that her mother went to college!

DH has a BA.

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Replies (161-167):
lindilouwho82
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I paid a small fortune for a math tutor during all four years of law school. I struggled through math getting my AAS but when I was accepted into law school, I scoured the campus for the best math tutor. She did me well but cost me and arm and a leg! DH says she cost more than our daughter ever has!

My step-dad used to tease me and tell me "you know why math is so hard for you, kiddo?" "It's because you are a girl and girls can do a lot of things but math is not one of them."

Of course he was teasing but I never got the chance to prove him wrong! Glad you did!

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

I chose it to prove to my dad that girls are good at math lol. I'm much better at teaching it than doing the crazy upper level math I had to do in grad school.stuff of nightmares I tell ya.

Quoting lindilouwho82:

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

Neither of my parents finished college when they were young. My mom recently went back and got her LPN. My dad is a VP of an auto parts company.

DH's dad is a retired customs agent for Australia. Not sure about college.

DH has a PhD in virology and microbiology, and I have an MA in math.

I am so jealous! You have a MA in math! I love math, I am just HORRIBLE at it and you would think after almost eight years of college, math would come easy.

I would do anything to make math come easy and I am always envious of those that get it and master it!

Mom2Jake08
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I made a small fortune tutoring all through college.

Quoting lindilouwho82:

I paid a small fortune for a math tutor during all four years of law school. I struggled through math getting my AAS but when I was accepted into law school, I scoured the campus for the best math tutor. She did me well but cost me and arm and a leg! DH says she cost more than our daughter ever has!

My step-dad used to tease me and tell me "you know why math is so hard for you, kiddo?" "It's because you are a girl and girls can do a lot of things but math is not one of them."

Of course he was teasing but I never got the chance to prove him wrong! Glad you did!

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

I chose it to prove to my dad that girls are good at math lol. I'm much better at teaching it than doing the crazy upper level math I had to do in grad school.stuff of nightmares I tell ya.

Quoting lindilouwho82:

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

Neither of my parents finished college when they were young. My mom recently went back and got her LPN. My dad is a VP of an auto parts company.

DH's dad is a retired customs agent for Australia. Not sure about college.

DH has a PhD in virology and microbiology, and I have an MA in math.

I am so jealous! You have a MA in math! I love math, I am just HORRIBLE at it and you would think after almost eight years of college, math would come easy.

I would do anything to make math come easy and I am always envious of those that get it and master it!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I have an MS

My dad was an attorney ( he is retired now) and has an MBA

My mom has two MS and a PHD
happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

My parents & grandparents have HS diplomas.  I have a BS in Accounting.

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM

OMG!  it was that weird kid who no one wants as a roommate!!  That is so disgusting!

Quoting Anonymous:

I am more betting that it had to do with rotten mangos or a cow that got into a mango grove.  

We had a student that tried the same thing with himself.  Ate only one food for a week to see if he got fun colors and then painted with them.  Beets was red of course.  Pickled corns was a yellow green.  He actually painted with his poop.  I thought it was gross and feel sorry for his roommate.  He kept it in a collection of jars in his dorm.

Quoting DarlaHood:

I wonder too, how did they figure out about the Mangos?  I know, lets get some Mangos and not let the cows eat anything else and see what happens!!  Someone somewhere had to think this was an idea worth trying out.  I always imagine what that night was like!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't either until I went to college!  It was lots of fun getting it to.  My favorite class was thermal chemistry.  I wrote paper after paper applying melting points of glazes and what chemicals make different colors on pottery.  I was the only art student to get an A.  I also did a research paper on what paint pigments were made from.  One of the yellow oil paints is made from fresh cow poop that have only been fed mangos.... Fun right? Wash your hands well after painting class....

Quoting DarlaHood:

I didn't know they had a Ceramics major.  That seems pretty cool.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mom is a lawyer, dad has a degree in higher math.

her parents?  Grandma got a degree in math, grandpa on economics.

Both of moms grand fathers were pastors.

his parents?  Grandma graduated highschool pregnant and married to grandpa and grandpa didn't graduate.

I have a degree in ceramics, and minors in math and psychology.  If I would have gone a fifth year I would have also have a degree in math education and art Ed as well as majors in math and psychology. Hubby got accepted medical school and I was pregnant with number one so I just did four years instead of five,

deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Not sure what dad has but I know he went to college and mom has a bh I believe. I went to college but it was to difficult for me. I failed english 3 three times so they wouldn't let me take it again and I couldn't move on without it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Yea, he ws also a cutter and cut spirals and famous quotes into himself.  It covered his "whole body", at least that is what his fiancĂ© said (yes, he did get married to her!  She was always going on about all her mental issues like how she was bipolar and such...) and she didn't leave much to the imagination when it came what was where....

Quoting DarlaHood:

OMG!  it was that weird kid who no one wants as a roommate!!  That is so disgusting!

Quoting Anonymous:

I am more betting that it had to do with rotten mangos or a cow that got into a mango grove.  

We had a student that tried the same thing with himself.  Ate only one food for a week to see if he got fun colors and then painted with them.  Beets was red of course.  Pickled corns was a yellow green.  He actually painted with his poop.  I thought it was gross and feel sorry for his roommate.  He kept it in a collection of jars in his dorm.

Quoting DarlaHood:

I wonder too, how did they figure out about the Mangos?  I know, lets get some Mangos and not let the cows eat anything else and see what happens!!  Someone somewhere had to think this was an idea worth trying out.  I always imagine what that night was like!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't either until I went to college!  It was lots of fun getting it to.  My favorite class was thermal chemistry.  I wrote paper after paper applying melting points of glazes and what chemicals make different colors on pottery.  I was the only art student to get an A.  I also did a research paper on what paint pigments were made from.  One of the yellow oil paints is made from fresh cow poop that have only been fed mangos.... Fun right? Wash your hands well after painting class....

Quoting DarlaHood:

I didn't know they had a Ceramics major.  That seems pretty cool.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mom is a lawyer, dad has a degree in higher math.

her parents?  Grandma got a degree in math, grandpa on economics.

Both of moms grand fathers were pastors.

his parents?  Grandma graduated highschool pregnant and married to grandpa and grandpa didn't graduate.

I have a degree in ceramics, and minors in math and psychology.  If I would have gone a fifth year I would have also have a degree in math education and art Ed as well as majors in math and psychology. Hubby got accepted medical school and I was pregnant with number one so I just did four years instead of five,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)