Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lies about the small stuff

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Is it true, in your opinion that if someone lies about the small stuff or keeps it from you, they will almost always lie about the bigger things? For example, a spouse lies to you about buying game extensions online (farmville, poker, candy crush, etc), willthey lie to you about bigger things?

Would you worry? Or just brush it off?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I have always wondered about that. I think if they can lie or what my dh would say I just didn't think to mention it how much other stuff they do lie about.

robyann
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I"d say yes, if they feel lying is ok then it's ok for them. They won't think it out and say well this is ok to lie about but not that. I feel  if a person lies consistantly, even about small things, they are a liar. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Not necessarily. Dh buys weights...like for lifting, all the damn time. He will hide them from me because, at this point, they're a huge waste of money. He just doesn't want to argue about it, but I don't *think* he's ever hidden or lied about anything big.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Sadly, I'm a compulsive liar when it comes to the little things. I don't know why I just do. I feel the need to make a story more interesting even if the story doesn't need it.

But I've never lied about a big thing. If there is the chance I'll get caught I won't lie. People tend to check out the big things, not so much the little things.
Nynnie
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd say yeah, if they lie about dumb things, they'll have no problem lying about important things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I'd be worried. DF has lied about big things in the past and we went to counseling. Every once in awhile I'll catch him in a white lie and wonder what else I don't know.

happehcrone
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

A lie is a lie is a lie.  Period.  In fact, if someone were inclined to lie about something so stupid and trivial as FaceBook games, I think I'd really be worried - because what point could there really be in it?  I mean, what real purpose would lying about such things have?  So they are doing it simply because they can.  There is NEVER a reason to lie - however, I'm saying in some situations you could see what might motivate a person try  to hide something.  But a person who lies about everything, all the time, because they can?  I'm pretty sure that is a pathological liar.  I've had the misfortune to know a couple.  Very weird - and they will NOT tell the truth even if you catch them red-handed and balls-to-the-wall!!  They just continue to deny.  Lying is a "deal-breaker" between my hubby and I - we NEVER do it, and I mean NEVER.  We both have a thing about trust issues and lying of any sort would destroy the trust we have in one another.

Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Liars generally have no boundaries, so yeah, I'd worry.

allyn9
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I would worry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I'd worry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured