Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Spin off - if not for wic would you have breastfed?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 214 Replies
I do not qualify for wic, but I can't believe the price of formula. I could afford it, but I am so glad bf worked out for me. It was HARD but we just hit 6 months end and I am so glad I am doing it. My sister has my nephew 18 days after dd while I was still struggling to bf pain free and since she did qualify for wic she never even tried to bf.

So my question, for those who receive WIC, would you have tried harder to bf if you had to pay for all of your formula?

I am not bashing anyone or WIC. It is a great program and I am glad it is there for babies who need it.

Also I work full time and pump so I fully understand that bf is a pain in the butt in some ways
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I couldn't breast feed cause my dd had a lip tie that prevented her from being able to suck right.
I pumped and then bottle fed her.

ETA- She was given formula for her first few meals cause of my idiot nurses. She was also supplemented with formula when breast milk wasn't enough.
While I was on WIC, they didn't push the whole breastfeeding option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I just hit 12 months breastfeeding and am on WIC. They push breastfeeding pretty hard here.
thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
No. I pumped what I could.

KelissaMaye
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm on WIC, but I am breastfeeding. My WIC office strongly encourages it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I am on WIC and currently am breastfeeding my 9 month old. What does WIC have to do with it?
Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I chose not to breastfeed because it was my choice.  It had nothing to do with a medical issue or WIC.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
No...but it would have been a hell of a lot more expensive. My youngest couldn't tolerate much and her formula was $29 a can...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

no, I dont have milk ducts so I cant nurse...WIC saved us as one of my twins was on Nutramigen and another formula, so I would have been buying three kinds for my twins and Nutramigen was $26 for a small can 7 years ago. They only gave me the Nutramigen and my dd's formula, I bought the other formula for my son

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

No. I was on WIC with my son and I pumped for 9 months. I did eventually switch to formula because, honestly, I got tired of being attached to a breastpump for several hours a day/night. I'm glad I pumped, even though I could have gotten the formula for free.

DavidsMommy6.12
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I get WIC and never thought about formula.From the day I found out I was pregnantI knew I wanted to breastfeed.We are 8 1/2 months strong:)

It was a reassurance though that i'd get help with formula if I failed at bf but I was bound&determined to bf and succeed at it and I have the ladies at WIC are even suprised im still bf.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)