Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you have an old pet, do you get nervous when it naps?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM
  • 61 Replies

:/

My cat is nine now.  Not really *old*, but his breed starts kicking the bucket around 12-15, and he just isn't aging nearly as well as I'd like.

All night he has been lying on the couch, relaxed, on his side, not doing a thing.  I keep talking to/petting him to make sure he is still.... y'know... living.

I actually don't think he'll be with us more than a couple more years, and he has become so very grumpy the last several months.  My DH loves this cat, and the man is out of town, so.... I worry.

I ususally dislike him because he's become kind of a brat in his older years.  But apparently I do love his cranky, hissing little butt.

Anyone else?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dippydoomomof2
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM
I check on our cat all the time. She is 14. Black domestic shorthair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Nope. Only time will tell, we don't think about it. We had a boxer (dog) and she lived for 15 1/2 years
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CuriousArentYa
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Yep, especially when she is having an uneasy night. Once she finally settles down and goes to sleep I watch for movement. I know my 12 year old golden retriever is living on borrowed time and I am cherishing every moment. I love her so much. 

CuriousArentYa
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM

WOW!!!!! 15 1/2!!!

Quoting BUFFIE.the.BODY:

Nope. Only time will tell, we don't think about it. We had a boxer (dog) and she lived for 15 1/2 years

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Quoting Dippydoomomof2:

I check on our cat all the time. She is 14. Black domestic shorthair.

Yeah.  He's nine.  The other is ten.  The dog is eleven. 

Fabulous planning there, eh?  -_-  The dog... I've had old dogs die.  They tell you when they're going to go.  Never lost an old cat, but lost young sick ones, and they.... don't.   So.

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM
My chihuahua just died at 16 Dec 1st.
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Quoting BUFFIE.the.BODY:

Yeah, I probably wouldn't worry so much if he were aging better.  His companion is going to be one of those cats that has to finally be put down when she's 23 and senile or something.  Not him.  I think we will lose him relatively soon, and we have moved so much, and always been on our own without extended family around, so.... he's part of our lives, you know? 

skymama10
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Nope. That dog has been lazy since he was a puppy. Id be worried if he wasnt laying around. He's thirteen now. He's had a good life.
momma2b2008
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Not really. And my cat is 22 years old!
Dippydoomomof2
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM
This is my first time really having pets. We had to have one our cats put down a few years back, we tried for 2 Weeks to save her but we couldn't. Come to find out she was bit by a spider :( We also had to have a dog put down because of cancer. It is so hard. I have only been with them for just about 5 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN