Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question about my dd. please any advice

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:40 AM
  • 18 Replies
So well be taking her in for her one year check up soon and ill discuss it with the dr but I'm kind of worried about her behavior. She turned 1 feb. 9th and she still isn't walking not a concern though she gets around fine besides that. She says momma dada hello and sometimes baba but she doesn't talk alot. Most of it is just babbling. She might say 2-3 of those words once a day each which kind of concerns me. But her anger is my biggest worry. She's usually very happy but if her big sis who's 2 takes a toy (which I make her give back btw) from her or if she starts to get tired shell like grab at her arm and pinch herself till her arms all red or shell head butt the floor or couch or wall multiple times. It concerns me that she does that. Anyone have any advice on what could be up with her? Thanks :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:43 AM
It's a phase. My DS did it for a while. She can't communicate her frustrations verbally so that's how she does it. Try Signing Time and learn some basic baby sign language. That helped my DS tremendously. Rather than cry and head butt the floor when he was thirsty, he would sign "drink".
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:45 AM

All of that sounds perfectly normal. Second children often talk later, frustration and anger with older siblings combined with limited communication at that age....all normal. The main thing is to keep consistent with discipline (as much as you can discipline at a year) tell her "no" when she hits (even herself) and encourage her to use words. Also, don't compare the kids. Different kids, different personalities and development rates.

I have 4, they had a wide range or development....all within normal, but never the same and they all have different personalities.

rlk121909
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:45 AM
1 mom liked this
How easy is it to teach them to sign? I remember my older dd would bite herself like if she had the remote and I took it shed get mad but everything else she'd just whine.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a phase. My DS did it for a while. She can't communicate her frustrations verbally so that's how she does it. Try Signing Time and learn some basic baby sign language. That helped my DS tremendously. Rather than cry and head butt the floor when he was thirsty, he would sign "drink".
rlk121909
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:49 AM
I try not to compare them. I worried myself sick with that at first cuz my second is so much smaller than my oldest was and I was constantly worried. What really gets me is shell be so happy playing smiling laughing then out of nowhere start hurting herself head butting and sometimes smacking me. When she does the hitting or pinching I grab her hands and tell her no and the head butting I pick her up and tell her and she just gets more upset. I try being firm being calm everything I can think of. She just doesn't stop. Sometimes when I pick her up from head butting shell start head butting me.

Quoting sheramom4:

All of that sounds perfectly normal. Second children often talk later, frustration and anger with older siblings combined with limited communication at that age....all normal. The main thing is to keep consistent with discipline (as much as you can discipline at a year) tell her "no" when she hits (even herself) and encourage her to use words. Also, don't compare the kids. Different kids, different personalities and development rates.

I have 4, they had a wide range or development....all within normal, but never the same and they all have different personalities.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:51 AM
Very easy. You just sign the word and say it.

For example:

When you give her a drink, say "drink!", sign it, say it, sign it, then give her a drink. It'll click.

My son only learned please, thank you, ball, play, drink, eat, more, and again. That was plenty for him.

Quoting rlk121909:

How easy is it to teach them to sign? I remember my older dd would bite herself like if she had the remote and I took it shed get mad but everything else she'd just whine.

Quoting Anonymous:

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Quoting rlk121909:

I try not to compare them. I worried myself sick with that at first cuz my second is so much smaller than my oldest was and I was constantly worried. What really gets me is shell be so happy playing smiling laughing then out of nowhere start hurting herself head butting and sometimes smacking me. When she does the hitting or pinching I grab her hands and tell her no and the head butting I pick her up and tell her and she just gets more upset. I try being firm being calm everything I can think of. She just doesn't stop. Sometimes when I pick her up from head butting shell start head butting me.

Quoting sheramom4:

Sounds like my middle DD...my little wild child. She is 11 now and it does get better. She still has attitude for miles, but all of that energy and passion is now directed at things like robotics and dance.

Like I said, it does get better. Once she can communicate better and can be directed towards other things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:53 AM
I suggest ignoring that behavior as long as she isn't hurting others. My son only hurt himself twice from head butting the floor.

Quoting rlk121909:

Quoting sheramom4:

horseap
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Signing is a big help.  Just start doing it and they pick up SO quickly.  DD knows cup milk eat more and dog.  Were still working on juice hungry please thank you mom dad sister and brother. DD still only says hi, dada and did it!  No mama, no juice.  Just those 3.  Signing has been a lifesaver and if I dont take her seriously when she says milk-eat she will try to get it herself.  They know EXACTLY what they are saying

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
rlk121909
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Ok I'll try to teach her some. Thanks :)

Quoting Anonymous:

For example:

When you give her a drink, say "drink!", sign it, say it, sign it, then give her a drink. It'll click.

My son only learned please, thank you, ball, play, drink, eat, more, and again. That was plenty for him.

Quoting rlk121909:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:56 AM
You're welcome!

Just remember to stick with it! You'll feel like an idiot signing while she stares at you like "WTF are you doing?..." But she WILL get it.

Quoting rlk121909:

Ok I'll try to teach her some. Thanks :)

Quoting Anonymous:

For example:

Quoting rlk121909:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)