Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: Have you used the program for your child/children and did it work?

Options:

I have used it and it worked!

I have used it and it didn't really work

I have not used it

other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 49

View Results

*Success Story*

My 3.5 year old Sd can read about 200 words, knows all her letters and can write.

My 21 month old Dd can read about 150 words and is learning the alphabet. 

*EDIT* 

To those of you saying it only teaches memorization, I wondered about this until one day I wrote a word my Dd had NEVER seen before, she looked at it and 2 seconds later said it out loud. 

You can all think whatever you want, but for MY children this program works. And they still prefer Your Baby Can Read to any of the crap on tv.

I also do not care that the company is out of business, I'm just glad that I bought the entire set before that happened

=]

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bonita131
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:18 AM

"Your Baby Can Read!" is out of business

Gwen Dewar, Ph.D.

posted: July 16, 2012, 11:36 am

in: Baby, Preschooler, Development & Behavior, News, Mom Stories

"Your Baby Can Read!" was supposed to teach infants how to read even before they could walk. Don't miss this "window of opportunity," the advertisements warned. Babies are sponges for language. Teach them early, and they'll have a major advantage in life. The program founder, Robert Titzer, even claimed that his own four-year-old - brought up with "Your Baby Can Read!" - could read better than he himself could. And he is a PhD.

But now the company has gone out of business, mostly because of an investigative news story by NBC correspondent Jeff Rossen.

I've talked about that story in an earlier post. Rossen interviewed child development experts at three universities and asked them to evaluate the claims made by "Your Baby Can Read!"

The experts were unanimous. The program wasn't really teaching babies to read. Through flashcard drills and DVDs, it was teaching babies to memorize a list of words. And despite advertising claims to the contrary, there were no controlled, scientific studies showing that babies drilled in this way are any better off later in life.

Apparently this message got through because "Your Baby Can Read!" has gone out of business. Rossen reports that Robert Titzer was fired by his parent company after his interview appeared on TV. Visit the company website and you'll find this statement:

"Regretfully, the cost of fighting recent legal issues has left us with no option but to cease business operations. While we vehemently deny any wrongdoing, and strongly believe in our products, the fight has drained our resources to the point where we can no longer continue operating."

So no more einstein flashcards and baby training DVDs, right? I'd like to think so, but there seems to be an endless stream of products and programs claiming to turn every baby into a genius. Why are we so gullible?

Obviously, we'd all like to think we can help our children succeed in life. And parents can make a difference. But in recent years, people have become especially interested in "programming" very young children with what are supposed to be super-stimulating, brain-enhancing experiences.

We forget that the most important development experiences are the ones requiring no technology or flashcards.

Meaningful, one-on-one interactive conversations with babies teach them to talk.

Free exploration - without lectures and formal instruction - helps young children think more creatively and critically.

And the most "enriched" developmental environments aren't the ones with television screens and flashcards. They're the environments that offer hands-on experiences and social give-and-take.

If we've forgotten this, it's probably because we've heard urban legends about the magic of infancy. The human brain is pure genius before age three. If you want to preserve that genius, you must cram your child's head with facts before his third birthday. Brains shrink if they don't get schooled in special, "enriched" environments. So hurry! Enroll your infant in baby school right away.

Each of these claims is based on something true, but the facts get twisted.

For instance, babies are amazing learning machines. But if you offer them emotional support, security, "mind-minded" conversations, some toys and the freedom to explore, they already have a "super-enriched" environment. The animal experiments on the brain benefits of "enrichment" weren't about flash cards and DVDs. They were about the difference between rats living alone in small, empty boxes and rats living in boxes with social companions and a few toys.

Does it matter if we get the facts wrong? While I don't imagine that every "baby genius" program is harmful, parents ought to know if they are spending time, money, and emotional energy on something that doesn't work.

And I'm concerned about the potential for harm. Baby-coaching might divert infants away from independent exploration and problem-solving. Recent experiments suggest that preschoolers show less ingenuity and critical thinking when they are exposed to something like formal instruction - an authoritative adult telling them how a toy is supposed to work. Do we really need to tell babies - who have an incredibly stimulating, everyday world to figure out - what to memorize? I don't think so.

---------

More reading

If you're interested in what research really tells us about babies, check out the links above and these pages at Parenting Science.

http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/your-baby-can-read-has-gone-out-of-business/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:22 AM

My kids did all that too and I didn't need some overpriced program to do it.  Alphabet by 2, reading on their own by 3 1/2 and not Dr. Suess.  The were both reading and comprehending 3 - 5 grade levels ahead of their piers. 

Although my oldest didn't speak out loud much until he was over a year old, he used sign language from about seven months on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:35 AM
I picked other, my sister got it for my niece. It worked to an extent she started it around 1yr she did memorize some words but not as well as the babies in the dvds.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:37 AM
I used it, but I also just read to him every night.

He would read simple words when he was a baby. I remember him being in daycare and pointing to the word cat (couldn't have been much older than 1) and saying cat.

He was able to read simple books when he was in prek.

Now he's in kindergarten and is reading on a second grade level.

He's very into reading and he likes to read words on signs and stuff. He gets proud of himself when he reads big words.

I'm very proud of my little reader. I think the program helped, but it's not the end all be all. I didn't have him glued to the tv all the time just when I needed to get homework done and such.
Cristie0911
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:45 AM
I read to my kid and they were both able to read chapter books by kindergarten. No lie. Also, memorizing and understanding are different things. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elliesmum06
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM

My mom bought it for my daughter and she hated it. She was so bored. She loved Leap Frog and Word World. She knew her letters and their sounds by 18 months and was reading by 2. She was reading full books at 3 (not chapter books, but kindergarten reading books that her teachers gave her). I'd swear on Word World and Leapfrog before "Your baby can read". I wouldn't spend that kind of money. Actually, for the same amount as the dvds, you can buy all the Leap Frog dvds and toys. She learnt through play. I think that's what works best. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:22 AM
Here's my opinion....what's the point? It's not really teaching them to read. Plus, they're still going to have to learn to read in kindergarten. If your child goes to kinder already knowing how to read, he's going to be really bored. Let's just let kids be kids. Plus, I don't think you should be setting babies in front of the TV for stuff like that anyways.
Caitlyn137
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:26 AM
I wana get it ;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this

That really is what it does... I would suggest parents look up sight words (since thats what they are lol) and make index cards for sight words memory, bingo, etc.. there really is no need to spend all kinds of money when its easy to do on your own :) but with that said @ origional poster, congrats!

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought it just taught them to memorize a bunch of words not to learn how to sound them out

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:34 AM
We used it but not as often or as much as we should have. Still dd had some success and so had we put in more of the effort and time it would have worked more. It was literally dd favorite dvds and she liked the books and flashcards. She would get them out on her own to look at. The reason we didn't do them daily was because I worked ft and so did dh, so there wasn't always time, but we did it every weekend.

There's also a series for younger kids, actually babies and toddlers that's called baby signs and I think that is great too. I'm pregnant now and plan on using both with our next child.

Dd is in kindergarten and is reading at a first grade level already. She loves to read. So at the very least if the I can read series makes them like reading its worth it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)