Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

White daughter and Black History month

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

My daughter, who is white, participated in a Black History trivia show at school. She was selected by her teacher because she knew the answers. 2 children from every class were chosen. I thought it was great but I overheard a couple of moms, who were black, saying they thought it was wrong that a white child was in a "Black History" competition. Thier words were " why is that little white girl up there, I thought this was black history? that's just wrong!" It was run like a spelling bee. She didn't win but she did make it half way through the competition. I was proud of her. IMO just because it's black history doesn't mean it is just for black people. Isn't it also the history of America! am I wrong?? 

I should add that I live in an area where white is minority. My kids are usually the only white children in class. My daughter has 1 other white student in her class of 18. My son has 3 other white students in his class of 21.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Sounds like those black moms had eaten some sour grapes. Maybe their kids didn't make it as far.

Good for your dd.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldve asked them that if they held a competition of the like around thanksgiving, would it be ok to keep her kids out because they arent white or native. Imo when it comes to competitions like that, they should choose those who know the answers best, not choose based on ethnicity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

if its american history the why to they have to have a month(the shortest one of all too) why can't it just be included in regular history. why only talk about its when its black history month? 

JZB
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM
They were out of line
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

They are stupid. Don't mind them. Congrats to your DD! :)

theresaphilly
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I bet those mom's kids were not one of the kids chosen! Folks get jealous when their kids are excluded.

lunabella79
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Congrats to DD. They are wrong. Black History month is to raise awareness and not only in the black community.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM

So according to those ladies, since we're white who cares about black history?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The black children weren't as educated on the topics, that isn't your white daughter's problem. I agree with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I would think that the point of any history month would be for everyone to learn about it,, they were probably just jealous because your dd beat their kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN