Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"I tip based on service"

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 275 Replies

What does this mean? 

How do you figure that out? A dollar for every beverage brought? $.75 for a smile? $3.00 for the food coming out quickly? $2.00 for making you laugh?

How exactly is that figured?

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM
15 moms liked this

I'm guessing that they mean they will only tip if the person was decent in their service.

I still find lack of tipping rude, regardless of the level of service.

I tip the minimum if service was poor, but will tip more than the minimum based on the level of service.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

This.

Quoting randi1978:

I'm guessing that they mean they will only tip if the person was decent in their service.

I tip the minimum if service was poor, but will tip more than the minimum based on the level of service.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM
3 moms liked this

What does TIP mean as in restaurant?

View Slide Show
Answer:
TIPS - To Insure Prompt Service. Not sure how far back it started...but you use to TIP before the meal...To Insure Prompt Service.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM
15 moms liked this

I start with a standard 20% tip. If the server goes above and beyond, I will go up to 25-30%. If, however, the server is rude or ignores us, I will drop it to 10-15%. I have never not tipped, and 5% is the lowest I have ever gone.

CafeMom Tickers
Sekirei
by LoKitty on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Eh, if the drinks were refilled, how long it takes the server to come take the order, how much  they bullshit around..etc.

Can't blame the server for the cooks bullshit though

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Well since our bill is usually no more than $50 we start with a standard $5 tip. So 10% and it goes up or down depending on how good the service is. We also take into consideration the kitchen staff, seating time and don't penalize our wait staff for that. Last week we tipped a waiter almost 50% for excellent service, left him a note on the reciept AND told his manager. We rarely leave nothing, but have a time or three for exceptionally bad service. Usually we leave the standard $5.

christina0607
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

So many time however in these posts you hear " I don't tip based on a percentage of the cost I tip on service".

Personally i think it's a way to say...I'm cheap and don't tip...without being bashed on CM.

But to give the benefit of the doubt, I'd like to know if i'm wrong. 

Quoting randi1978:

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
If service is good I give the standard 20%, if its bad then 15%, if its just horrible 10%. If its outstanding then I've been known to go up to 25-30%. So its not quite keeping track of every drink refill but if I always have a drink that's a plus. I care if they're friendly and personable. Food coming out quickly and accurately, all positives. I considered it a sliding scale I guess. Jmot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
5 moms liked this

I don't tip for shitty service.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
9 moms liked this

If the server is an ass and rude they don't deserve a tip!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)