Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I found my trigger.

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 6 Replies
I'm pretty relaxed about online posts. I like a good debate and just brush it off when people get stupid.

Today one of our local news stations posted a story about a woman (plastic surgeon) being sued by 8 women for bad breast surgeries.

I clicked on the article and many of the women were breast cancer patients who had reconstruction done. My mom is A two time breast cancer survivor along with my grandmother. They both had their breasts removed. So, yeah I'm a little sensitive.

The comments are horrible. "That's what they get for not appreciating what God gave them". "They have no right to sue everyone knows their are risks with surgery" "All natural is the only way to be". And on and on. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it made me cry. Luckily my mom and grandmother didn't have complications, but I can't help but think how awful this must be for those women. Cancer, chemo, surgery, radiation, and then that on top of it all. How can people be so insensitive? :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SunshineBird
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM

My inlaws have the BRCA1 gene and nearly all have had their breasts removed (the females anyway). My MIL has survived cancer 3 times. I took care of my SIL when she had her breasts preventatively removed and reconstructed (we lived with her). It's so hard for them to give up a part of their body because it was killing them. 

lovehimforever
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM
If only one person was suing I would say they were sue happy. But 8 people? Sounds like a surgeon is cutting corners and not doing the procedure correctly. Then she deserves to be sued.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by Katie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I agree. It's not so much even about the surgeon anymore (for me). I just couldn't believe the nasty comments towards these women.

Quoting lovehimforever:

If only one person was suing I would say they were sue happy. But 8 people? Sounds like a surgeon is cutting corners and not doing the procedure correctly. Then she deserves to be sued.
PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM

If a plastic surgeon has at least 8 bad outcomes, then she deserves to be sued and maybe have her license taken away.  Reconstructive breast plastic surgery IS NOT NEW.  It has been done since the 80's.  In fact I worked for the plastic surgeon who pioneered a lot of the reconstructive techniques still being done today.  

Malpractice deserves to be litigated.  I hope those women recover their money so they can have the surgery corrected.

kngarber
by Katie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM
I was young when my grandma did it, but it was really hard for my mom. It's very sad. I'm glad they're all well. I need to get testing done for my girls and I.

Quoting SunshineBird:

My inlaws have the BRCA1 gene and nearly all have had their breasts removed (the females anyway). My MIL has survived cancer 3 times. I took care of my SIL when she had her breasts preventatively removed and reconstructed (we lived with her). It's so hard for them to give up a part of their body because it was killing them. 

kngarber
by Katie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM
One of the ladies (not a breast cancer patient) had her implant literally explode out of her chest. The incision was infected and the lady kept going back, but the doctor didn't take care of it. That's a problem.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

If a plastic surgeon has at least 8 bad outcomes, then she deserves to be sued and maybe have her license taken away.  Reconstructive breast plastic surgery IS NOT NEW.  It has been done since the 80's.  In fact I worked for the plastic surgeon who pioneered a lot of the reconstructive techniques still being done today.  

Malpractice deserves to be litigated.  I hope those women recover their money so they can have the surgery corrected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)