Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I the only one that does not want "service" in a restaurant?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 122 Replies
7 moms liked this

I have seen a few posts about tipping now and how a lot of people almost seem to have a superiority complex because the tip above and beyond the 15%. I guess I just don't understand. I will tip 15% because I am sympathetic to the fact that wait staff make below minimum wage, but I am not going to pay someone double or triple minimum wage to make up for that.

Beyond that, I don't want the service. Take my order, drop off my food and drink, then go the Hell away. I do not want to engage in false pleasantries, I do not care about the waiter's day nor am I going to comment on my day, and I do not want anyone coming to my table 57 times to check on me. If I sit in a restaurant for an hour, I am not paying someone $15-$20 for what I hope to be two minutes of interaction. I understand that the person has to do a few minutes of work beyond that to assemble the order, so I will concede to the 15% in deference to that and the below minimum wage pay.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
winkyloafer
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
First.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM
6 moms liked this

Some people like to be catered to and checked on every two minutes.  How is the waitstaff of a restaurant supposed to read your mind.  They're doing what they're taught to do.  They're supposed to make sure you're enjoying your meal and check to see if you need anything.  If they didn't, people would be whining and complaining that they need more mayo or some random thing in the kitchen that doesn't go with their meal and their waiter/waitress wasn't there to ask about it.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell people if they want a tip then to leave me alone as much as posible.   Its rude I know.  

BEXi
by BEXi on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Taking an order and bringing you food is still serving you.

lilfishbigocean
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Sooooo, do you walk into the kitchen and get your own food?

You said you didn't want to be served, lol.

night.magic
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I agree. If I need something brought to my table I will flag down the waitress and ask. I hate being bothered repeatedly while I am eating and most times trying to spend quality time with my dh.

We had this gawd awful waitress at Cheddars a few weeks ago, she looked as if she'd just been released from prison. And she would lean over the table in front of my dh and call him baby. I kept laughing cause I knew it was irritating my dh. And the goofy waitress never politely asked if I needed my drink refilled and she brought my dh 3 sodas to drink and he wasn't even done with the 1st one.Hell at one point I thought she might sit down and offer to feed him. geeeze

Needless to say we felt sorry for her and left her a $5 tip. That's all she was getting. She better feel lucky she got that much. Now if we have a really pleasant/kind waitress we will tip more.

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

True, but typically when people refer to service, it seems to include all of the other nonsense.

Quoting BEXi:

Taking an order and bringing you food is still serving you.

AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this
That's not nearly as rude as not tipping them because they gave you the service that 95% of customers expect. I think it's nice that you tell the waitstaff that ahead of time. If I didn't want people bothering me while I was eating I would do the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

I tell people if they want a tip then to leave me alone as much as posible.   Its rude I know.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vickiheitzler
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I agree.
emt088
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah.. I think tipping a percent is absolutely the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. I wish I made a percentage of my every patients final bill (I'm a paramedic/nurse). As far as I'm concerned, if I spend an hour at a restaurant and tip the equivalent of minimum wage per hour, my debt is more than paid. That said, I'm more than willing to leave a damn good tip for a good waiter but not if they're overbearing and wont leave me alone while I eat
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)