Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Telling your children to shut up...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 165 Replies
1 mom liked this

That's bad, right? Because it seems like I'm the only one lately who frowns on telling young children to shut up. I was visiting my SIL and my 6 year old niece walked up to say that her brother wouldn't get out of her room. Before she could finish, SIL starts yelling at her, "OMG JUST SHUT UP! You're always tattling! No one cares!"

Apparently, this is normal with my in-laws because I heard it again and again while we were visiting for a week. To me, it's like saying that what your child has to tell you is not important. She just tells them to shut up and go watch TV or play on the computer. The only time she ever gives them any attention is to pick on them or make fun of them. I don't get it. Why have children (she has 3, all planned) if you're not willing to pay attention to them?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM
5 moms liked this
I don't tell my kids to shut up.

The 4 legged barker gets told to shut up on the reg.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM
3 moms liked this

Every now and then it will slip out but it is very rare. I try very hard not to tell them to shutup. I do however tell the dog to shutup quite frequently.

NikkiDoll89
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Oh gosh I hate that! I never tell my son to shut up. I always hug him and kiss him and tell him I love him. People like that are terrible!!!
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
9 moms liked this

Yes I have told my kids to shut up. Especially a smart mouthed teenager.

crumpy_gat
by No. on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I hate that.
AleaKat
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
4 moms liked this
I admit I've gotten stressed and let it slip out in frustraightion before but it's not something I think is okay or condone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CatFishMom
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this

We teach respect in our home-we may be the parents but we have to give respect to get it. I tell my son all the time, you get what you give, and if I told him to shut up Id better be prepared to have him tell me right back. It's a lesson a four year old can comprehend-it's sad that so many adults dont have the maturity of my four year old.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM
3 moms liked this

I tell my son to shut up all the time. Especially when he is whining and acting like a brat. He is 8 yrs old and knows better and knows that all that yelling and screaming gets on my damn nerves. So if he is yelling and won't stop, I'll tell him to shut up and talk to me like a grown little man or go sit down until he can get himself together.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

The thing is she says it all the time. Every time we came over, she or her new boyfriend was yelling it at the kids. They're expected to just waste away in front of the TV all day and not bother them.

garnet83
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM
6 moms liked this

I disagree with this. I don't tell my kids to shut up. However, I do tell them to be quiet, wait their turn, or stop talking if it's not a good time. But after I'm finished with whatever it is, I always go back to them and give them chance to say whatever was on their mind. They can't think everyone is going to drop what they're doing every time they want to talk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)