Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why is there so much distaste for people that overpay their taxes?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
So, we give the government an interest free loan that gets refunded at tax time. That is money that our goverment gets to us to keep things running through the year. I clearly recall growing up listening to my parents and grandparents speaking very proudly about their contributions and country pride. Why is it so fashionable now to forget we all depend on the community? Honest question here.
I am proud to give my country any break I can and happily they are more likely to repay me at the end of the year than my siblings!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Bump
mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm guessing it doesn't help our country's economy since they're giving it back to you....but I'm not against overpaying-some people aren't good savers so they'd waste the weekly money...whereas a large chunk at the end of the year can pay off something big.

anotherhalf
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

If I believed my country spent my money wisely, I'd be OK with it.  As it is, I think they overspend and are extremely wasteful, so I'd rather have my money for my family.

Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, FFS! There is no distaste. Over paying your taxes is not contributing to the government or community! Lol- that's a new one! It's just not good financial sense. That's all we're saying. No more, no less.

If it doesn't bother some people that their hard earned money is being kept by the gov't for an entire year, interest free, then so be it. It's just an FYI for those who think they are getting back "extra money". They're not. It was their money all along.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

If you're that happy about it, why take the refund at all?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

I'm guessing it doesn't help our country's economy since they're giving it back to you....but I'm not against overpaying-some people aren't good savers so they'd waste the weekly money...whereas a large chunk at the end of the year can pay off something big.

Exactly. I would love to know the actual # of people who take the extra $30 from their check each week and put it in an investment. None, they spend it on diapers, gas etc.

LiliM
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I dunno.  We structured it that way because one of us is not a W2 employee.

We both have a distaste for paying at tax time.  Better to get a little back than to write a check.

~~JeezuzTitz!  We ain't got time for krazee!!~~

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I've typically found it to be jealousy from those who have to pay in for one reason for another.

We have overpaid because DH had an employer who screwed him over royally one year and we lost most of a terribly needed refund.  We would rather be safe than sorry now and if anyone doesn't like it, we don't give a damn.

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Whatever, brag on about getting your own money back. Doesn't matter to me. I just think its stupid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I think it is a concept that is really interesting. 

In theory, if you don't break even at tax time, that is "bad", but people here seem to take the financial understanding of  "bad" from meaning, "hey guys, if you are owing a ton, or getting a ton back, it might be a good idea to examine your finances and see if there are any adjustments you need to make" (because really, not everyone has adjustments that they can make, or, for example they are contractors, and they will just always owe at tax time, because they don't have any deducted, and this is now more common with all of the IT folks). So, this "bad" has become a piece of knowledge to hang over people's heads (at least that is my observation for how it is in CM).  Never have I seen a complex statement associated with telling someone they are "stupid" for getting a lot of money back, usually it stops there without any questions asked, or any understanding of their financial background, which to me, indicates a lack of true understanding. 

Among other circles, I don't think it is considered to be a huge negative to get money back for misjudging your finances. I don't consider overpaying through the year in taxes to be something that should foster pride, it just is what it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)