Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tips or advice for flying with a toddler?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

In a few months I will be flying solo with my ds. I am just trying to gets tips/advice to let it go a little more smoothly.

eta: He is 14 months right now. It will be anywhere between 3-5 months from now. We are not sure of the exact date yet, it will more than likely sooner than later. I am a a bit of a planner, lol.

eta: It will be 90 min for the first plane. The depending on which time we go a 30min-1hour and 45 min before the next plane. Then A 2-3 hour flight after that.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Bump!

mlmynm81
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM

How old?

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Bring a carryon that has his toys to keep him occupied.. books, lovey, drawing toy or crayons and coloring book, blanket and small pillow for naps and in your carryon bag snacks for him.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM

DON'T.  DO.   IT!!!

JK

We flew when our DS was 11 months-lots of clothes/snacks/drinks/toys etc..etc.. Tried to get the earliest flight out because I thought he was usually happier in the morning than late at night, maybe the flight would not be so full, less chances of being delayed. GL

heybooboo
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

We make up a backpack full of items to keep the kids entertained.  And we also bought a few special treats at one of those little shops at the airport after we got through security.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Honestly I wouldn't unless I absolutely had to. Like if my mom was passing away soon and I needed to say my last goodbyes, THEN I would fly w/ my DD. Toddlers really don't respond well to flights. Their ears pop, they get tired and cranky, ect. It's not fare to them or the other passengers. If there is anyway you can take another mode of travel or a roadtrip, please do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Ew...

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Honestly I wouldn't unless I absolutely had to. Like if my mom was passing away soon and I needed to say my last goodbyes, THEN I would fly w/ my DD. Toddlers really don't respond well to flights. Their ears pop, they get tired and cranky, ect. It's not fare to them or the other passengers. If there is anyway you can take another mode of travel or a roadtrip, please do.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

BUY HIM A SEAT!

Really, kids are safer and more comfortable in their carseats, and if you buy him a seat, you are guaranteed he has a place to sit.

How far are you flying/how old is he?  Those things make a lot of difference.  I flew with all my kids (mostly solo), and sometimes had up to all 4 kids with me.  Did it for years!  Ask me anything!

babybelly25
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Bring snacks, drinks and something to play with. Even if your LO is potty trained.. put him in a pull up. It is sooo much easier than having to try to get them into that tiny bathroom on the plane. Don't forget gum at takeoff and landing to help with the ears popping. If your LO doesn't/can't chew gum yet.. have a sippy cup for him to drink during those times. I got lucky and my dd always falls asleep on the plane and doesn't fuss.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM

He is 14 months right now. It will be anywhere between 3-5 months from now. We are not sure of the exact date yet, it will more than likely sooner than later. I am a a bit of a planner, lol.

Quoting mlmynm81:

How old?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)