Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of The Onion's comment about 9yo actress Quvenzhane Wallis?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 115 Replies

9-Year-Old Quvenzhane Wallis Didn't Deserve Most Offensive Comment of the Oscars

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on February 25, 2013

Quvenzhane WallisQuvenzhane Wallis was quite a precocious fireball at the Oscars last night. You can really see the same spirit in real life that she displayed in her nominated role in Beasts of the Southern Wild. That doesn't make her a c**t though. Humor site The Onion caused outrage last night when it tweeted:

Everyone seems afraid to say it but that Quvenzhane Wallis is kind of a c**t, right?

Yes, yes, I get it. It's dark, edgy humor. Blah blah. But this is a 9-year-old girl we're talking about.

Twitter went so nuts about the offensive tweet that The Onion, which normally doesn't care who it offends, actually removed it. The Onion has produced some of my most favorite satire over the years -- and much of it isn't for the feint of heart. One of my favorite pieces is an old one called "Ugly Girl Killed," which makes fun of the public's and media's obsession with cute murdered girls like JonBenet Ramsey. (This was written before Caylee Anthony.) You could take offense at the joke -- or look in the mirror.

For edgy humor to work, there has to be some small element of truth to it. Ideally, it should say what many of us are thinking but are afraid to say.

But I don't think anyone was thinking Quvenzhane was a "c**t." So maybe THAT was the jist of the joke. Who would ever think that word about a sweet little girl carrying her puppy purse? The setup to the punchline: "Everyone seems to be afraid to say it ... " indicates this was probably what the writer was going for -- saying the opposite of what "everyone" is thinking. (If this was said about a sickly sweet star like, say, Shirley Temple, it would be just as shocking, but somewhat funnier.)

But the joke was uncalled for. This is a 9-year-old girl who is enjoying her big moment. Her mother and sister were with her. The joke wasn't funny enough, nor did it make enough of a statement, to warrant its offensiveness.

And apparently The Onion must have agreed, for it took it down. Hey, some jokes fall flat. Ask Seth MacFarlane.

What do you think of this joke?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
10 moms liked this

it is never funny or ok to use that word, especially directed at a child

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know anyone that uses that word, so I don't really see the humor!

Byrd15
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM
3 moms liked this

That is not funny in the least! She is 9 yes old for goodness sake!!!

jas_momof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Anything derogative towards a child is uncouth and uncalled for.

cmabbott
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I know plenty of people who that term describes, a nine year old or any other child for that matter is not one of them.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's odd that after all of the hoopla surrounding the Oscars, the only person they have a comment about would be a 9 year old CHILD??? It's kind of sad and pathetic on their part.

mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Ummm... I don't know because I don't even know who they are talking about. All I know is I hate the word cunt. It hits my ear wrong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
unusualmom
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

not appropriate 

Princess.Sara
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I love the Onion, but that went too far.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Wow. Shes a little girl. They couldnt attack anyone else?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN