Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm friends with my ex.......

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

My ex husband and I get along amazing. I wouldn't go so far as saying we are friends but we're on each others fb and he calls with issues and I'm happy to help. I would NEVER go to him with issues between DH and I but I have talked to him about work stuff.

DH is also friends with him and will talk to him every so often about football or whatever. The X knows I tell DH (and yes I do) pretty much everything we talk about and respects that I won't talk to him about personal issues with DH and I. 

Here's the thing. His (ex DH) family bashes him for it and says its not normal. The ex is station in Alabama which is where I am from and where my family lives. We have joint custody of our 2 kids but since its so far I have them most of the time. We (DH and I) are planning a trip this Xmas to see my family and obviously the X will be there. Dh loves my mom and she loves him and same goes with my X. So pretty much everyone gets along amazingly. It's great, mosty stress free and so good for the kids. Don't get me wrong, the bginning of our divorce was really rocky and it was uncomfortable telling him when I started dating, but we've managed to grow up and decide the kids need to NOT go through all the bullshit so many other kids go through.

But his family seems to always want to start drama. It pisses me off beyond belief. Apparently we're suppose to be at each others throats and DH and the X are suppose to despise each other. Why is it so unacceptable for ex's to have a good healthy relationship ESPECIALLY when they have 2 children together??? Hell we were all planning a Disney World trip fall of 2014 with Us, My family, the X and if he's got one whoever he's with. I don't understand why people have to thrive so much on drama and cause it where there isn't any...

Vent Over

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Hey if it works for you, I think that's great. My family was much the same way until my dad died... But I think your children will be happy when there's not all the drama
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Yayyy!
aikimomof3
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

People should be so lucky to have such a good relationship with their ex. Good for you, and too bad what others (ex's family) think. It's good for your kids that you and your ex have such a healthy and mature relationship.

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM

That's what I'm saying. We (X, DH and I) decided a long time ago we were all going to be adults and make this work. Sure we'll have issues pop up here and there, but nothing that will put a strain on our kids. My mom, dad, and bio dad were the same way when I was little. They got along great, in front of me at least, and that's the best thing they could have done for me I think.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hey if it works for you, I think that's great. My family was much the same way until my dad died... But I think your children will be happy when there's not all the drama

lacilyn
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Meh. My dad and stepdad get along great, they aren't buddy buddy but will go fishing and stuff together. My dad and mom get along great 75% of the time, unless my moms being a stubborn wench. My mom and stepmom on the under hand despise each other.

Didn't bother me either way, my mom was Mia when I was growing up, wasn't until I was like 16 that we started building our relationship. But its great now, ds can see my mom, stepdad and dad all at one time with no drama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BKozICan
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

My MIL and FIL are best friends since they divorced. They see each other every day. It is nice to be able to have holiday dinner or birthday parties and not have to worry about fighting. FIL works for MIL's family's business and lives as a caretaker on one of the family properties. Luckily, MIL's husband is cool with it.

mehaffiesub
by Lil' Frog on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM
My ex and me are friends as well course he is my BIL now so if we werent friends it would be akward.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dungonecrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM
I have a good relationship with my ex as well, I also get along well with his wife, and my SO gets along with them as well. We talk about issues. We work together as parents. We laugh about silly stories. There's no harm in getting along with your ex. It makes for a healthier relationship for everyone, especially the child(ren).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

My sons father lives 3000 miles away and visits a couple times a year. He stays at our house with us. He and my DF are great friends. He talks to my FIL almost daily and calls my MIL about once a month. 

It's in the best intrest of my son that we all get along.... so we do. It works. Usually by the time he has been here a week I am ready to throttle him, am having major flash backs about why he is an ex and can't wait for him to leave but I am always kind in my words and attitude.

AustinRonMommy
by Nickhole on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Me and my ExDH aren't friends on fb or anything and we don't really talk unless it involves our kids...but we don't really fight about stuff anymore. And him and my SO get along when they see each other. They don't despise each other. They aren't friends and probably never will be, but when my sister had her baby my X came up there, not sure why since him and my sister have never got along, but whatever, he was there and he saw our boys while he was there and he talked to my SO the whole time he was there, so that was cool. My SO said my X was the only one there who was nice to him. The other people there were my mom, and some of my sisters SO's family. His son and daughter in law...so yeah...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)