Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My teenager made a BURN BOOK, wwyd?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Okay so for Christmas I bought my daughter a little scrap book/photo album type book. I was in her room looking to see if she had any glasses up there and I found the book. It looked like she used it so I thought I'd flip through to see the creative stuff she'd come up with. I was so shocked with what I saw!

The first page read "BURN BOOK" yes, like in the Mean Girls movie. There were pictures of her school mates through out the book with mean words written per page. Things like "Skank, talks like a man, Ashley wannabe, troll face" and much more. My daughter is so sweet or so I thought. She is involved in school and everyone always talks about what a smiley and nice girl she is. I'm guessing her 2 best friends made this book with her because it didn't all look like her writing and those 2 weren't in it but that doesn't make it okay.

What would you do in this situation? Do I just chalk it up as teenage girl crap or punish her for it? I work at her school sometimes(subsitute teacher) and she doesn't seem to have a problem with anyone. I've seen her talk to these girls that are in the book. I know some of them. They aren't her close friends but they talk and hang out sometimes. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
lga1965
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Talk with her and try to make her understand that it's not cool to do things like that. It's wrong to try to hurt others that way. Explain that it is being a bully. Ask how she would feel if she was a victim of that kind of thing. You need to wake her conscience and insist she needs to think of others feelings and be kind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pennerb538
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM
LOL wayy to much mean girls! Break the DVD it's for the best! So fetch!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, to be honest, you were snooping.  Sometimes kids need to vent and get things out and maybe that's what she was doing.  I wouldn't confront her but I would talk and see if she's having problems with anyone at school. 

Yes I was. I wasn't snooping for anything bad though! lol She's really creative so I thought I would find a cool scrap book of her summer-she's been talking about making a scrap book of last summer for a while. 

But I see what you are saying and that's one of the reasons I came here before I confronted her about it. I don't want to make things worse. I'll ask her about school. I was just there subbing last week and everyone seemed to be fine. I'll still ask though. 

anon1986East
by Kali on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Considering that she is keeping these thoughts private and only venting through a book I wouldn't make a big deal about it. Now if she started acting out and being mean to her classmates then I'd take action. I'm generally a good person, I'm not a bully at all but of course in my teens I had no issue with talking shit about the people I didn't like. I didn't confront them, I didn't call them out on their bullshit because that would've been rude and unnecessary so I did as most teenage girls do - I talked shit about them with my friends and kept my interaction with them at a minimum.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I'm spiteful, I would make her a page in the book and put it back so she could see how it feels and then I would kick her ass!

LOL Oh wow. I would love to see the look on her face if I did that...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Find out her reasons first, if she is bullied maybe this is her outlet. I would discourage such an outlet if that was the case as I think it adds to the desensitization and perpetuates the anger which may involve her saying these things to those girls.
If she is bullied then she needs a healthier way to express her hurt and anger.
If she did this as a bully then she needs some consequences, it isn't right for the reasons stated above. it will eventually be done at school if it isn't already!

Quoting Anonymous:

Okay so for Christmas I bought my daughter a little scrap book/photo album type book. I was in her room looking to see if she had any glasses up there and I found the book. It looked like she used it so I thought I'd flip through to see the creative stuff she'd come up with. I was so shocked with what I saw!

The first page read "BURN BOOK" yes, like in the Mean Girls movie. There were pictures of her school mates through out the book with mean words written per page. Things like "Skank, talks like a man, Ashley wannabe, troll face" and much more. My daughter is so sweet or so I thought. She is involved in school and everyone always talks about what a smiley and nice girl she is. I'm guessing her 2 best friends made this book with her because it didn't all look like her writing and those 2 weren't in it but that doesn't make it okay.

What would you do in this situation? Do I just chalk it up as teenage girl crap or punish her for it? I work at her school sometimes(subsitute teacher) and she doesn't seem to have a problem with anyone. I've seen her talk to these girls that are in the book. I know some of them. They aren't her close friends but they talk and hang out sometimes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Oh, I understand mama but how is she going to feel if you jump on her "ass" and have to admit you were snooping to see what kind of creative thing she has done in her book?  I don't know that there would be a way to talk to her about what you found without her knowing.........

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, to be honest, you were snooping.  Sometimes kids need to vent and get things out and maybe that's what she was doing.  I wouldn't confront her but I would talk and see if she's having problems with anyone at school. 

Yes I was. I wasn't snooping for anything bad though! lol She's really creative so I thought I would find a cool scrap book of her summer-she's been talking about making a scrap book of last summer for a while. 

But I see what you are saying and that's one of the reasons I came here before I confronted her about it. I don't want to make things worse. I'll ask her about school. I was just there subbing last week and everyone seemed to be fine. I'll still ask though. 

mamatocaleb
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Sounds like she's a bully. Good luck.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
She would be in DEEP doodoo. I would make her sit down and think of 5 good qualities of every person she had in that book, and then ground her.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Bshahaha

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I'm spiteful, I would make her a page in the book and put it back so she could see how it feels and then I would kick her ass!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured