Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Microwaving bottles *edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies
1 mom liked this

So this is a controversial topic in my family. Some microwave bottles and some of my family is against it completely and only warms bottles up in a dish of hot water.

I personally think its better to warm them in the microwave for 15 seconds or so depending on amount of formula and feed my baby sooner then hearing him scream his poor head off for 5 minutes while I'm waiting for the bottle to warm up in the dish of water.

Which one do you all prefer?

*edit: when I microwave I only put the bottle in with water then put the formula after I take it out of the microwave so the nutrients don't get depleted that way...and I also shake it VERY well so the heat distributes evenly so there's no hot spots.also test it on my wrist before giving it to him

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I don't really remember it was a long time ago. I didn't really ever do it, it was only other people who were watching my son who needed to warm up a bottle and I'm pretty sure they used a dish of hot water to thaw out the milk.

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I made bottles ahead and putnem in the fridge.  15 seconds 4 oz and 25 seconds 6 oz.  we used the playtex nurser which warned against it, but never had an issue!

CheyanneW
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I used the microwave with all 3 of my kids. Just not too long and shake well to make sure the temp evens out. I never had a problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM
6 moms liked this
Well If you know your baby's cues then you will know more than Five minutes before they are screaming because they are starving.

Babies don't scream their heads off because they are barely hungry, they scream because you missed their hunger cues and now they feel like they are starving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2891
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM
It's not safe to heat in a microwave. It can cause hot spots and some the nutrients get broken down and disappear. If you need to heat it up, pour it in small pot and heat on the stove or heat the water up first then mix the formula in it.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Yes I used the microwave to heat up bottles with all 4 kids

haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Well If you know your baby's cues then you will know more than Five minutes before they are screaming because they are starving.

Babies don't scream their heads off because they are barely hungry, they scream because you missed their hunger cues and now they feel like they are starving.

look at you not answering the question at all

Moe1521
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM
This.

Just make sure to shake them REALLY well to avoid any possible hotspots.

Quoting CheyanneW:

I used the microwave with all 3 of my kids. Just not too long and shake well to make sure the temp evens out. I never had a problem.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I did microwave. I never nuked it until warm. Only half warm, shake and test. If too cold add a bit of cold formula. I couldnt deal with the screaming.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I use my water dispenser, it has a hot and cold option. Makes perfectly warm bottles in seconds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)