Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you lie to your kid about...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
Their physical features? The situation is that ds has big ears and gets teased about it. I've tried telling him they aren't big, but he KNOWS they are and he just gets more upset. I've gone onto things like saying they fit his face just the same as his nose or eyes...or they gave him character...or silly things like him having the gift of hearing all the good news before anyone else. I have no idea what else to say because it just simply doesn't help the situation at school. I talked to his teacher, but he won't tell her when the teasing happens because he doesn't want to get made fun of even more for tattling. Gahhh, I hate this. My heart breaks for him and I can't seem to give him any comfort.

Help me mommas! Does anyone else have problems with their kid's "unique" features?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I think since you tried lying and he wouldn't accept it i would say at least you don't have big glasses. Or something to distract him from his ears lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by Jill on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this

It's better if he just accepts it for what it is.  Yep, his ears are big.  It's a part of who he is.  You can tell him where he got them from, other family members.  If he's comfortable with who he is, it won't matter what those other kids say.  He won't care.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM

No, you can't lie about things that are quantifiably true.  I'd say all the things you have and say that his head is still growing so, his ears just might be a little ahead of his head.  As an adult, he might look perfectly well balanced. 

And if they just stick out, you can actually have them tacked back.  That isn't a big deal, I think.  It's not something that cannot be changed. 

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Have you talked to the teacher or principal about him being bullied in school?  No matter what a child's physical features are, don't tolerate bullying

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I am very matter of fact with my kids when it comes to dealing with people talking about them negatively.  I ask them do the people that are making fun of them really matter, are they going to matter in ten years when you've moved on with your life?  I don't deny their physical differences, I reinforce their ability to ignore people or stand up to people who will try and knock them down. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Yes, I have. The problem is that they never catch anyone in the act and ds refuses to tell.

Quoting Texascandee:

Have you talked to the teacher or principal about him being bullied in school?  No matter what a child's physical features are, don't tolerate bullying

xtina8817
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM
My nose
I have a big Greek bump on mine! It fits me now but when I was little it looked like a witch nose. He'll grow into them. Kids are jerks
kaytee2109
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM

My son has big ears like his father but I love them & he knows that. I call them "mommys chew toys" cause when I tickle him ill go for em lol He loves it. Dont really know what else to say. Maybe you can spin this to make it work for you??

Kaliary
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM

You could grow his hair out a bit more, then it would make them look a bit more porportional... 

delilahsmom1177
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would take my DD outside and point out flaws such as right now rotten wood.... "ugly" rocks things like that... Then tell her look the earth has flaws... We are from the earth and we have flaws too. 

I'm a tattooed,bisexual,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured