Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Good Waitress, Crappy Food=No tip?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 283 Replies
13 moms liked this

So, does getting good service and crappy food justify leaving no tip at all?  Some people apparently think so....we have worked in many a restaurant, and the rudeness of some people is astounding..this waitress went out of her way to make sure the customer was happy, and when the food arrived, not cooked to specification, the customer proceeded to chew out the waitress...and then leave her no tip.  Do people not realize the COOK is responsible for the food and not the waitress? She is just there to serve you, not cook your food too. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
invisibleme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:25 AM
4 moms liked this
Only time the waitress should be held responsible is a when appetizers dont come out or when the foods cold cause she was not paying attention.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amberstars
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not the waiter/waitress fault for the bad food.  I'd say no that isn't a reason to not leave a tip.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Dragon Eyes

brebugmom91
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:28 AM
7 moms liked this

I agree. As long as HER service was good, that's all that matters. 

I could never be a waitress, I'd cuss people like that out. 

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it is the server's fault if the food is bad. If my food is bad, I will ask for a manager. I ordered a sandwich once that had burnt onion strips on it. I called the manager and he said what's wrong with it, I said these are burnt and at first he was going to make an excuse and then I showed him. He was speechless and gave me a new sandwich for free.  It was some kind of bbq sandwich thing. He was so embarrassed. 

They should ask for the manager. Servers have no control over cooking.  It is like when people go ballistic on the person who answers at customer service for any problem. It isn't that person's fault and they are actually there to help you. I worked the administrative assistant desk at a hospital once. I would get calls with people yelling at me because they did not get the food they wanted for breakfast (doctor's orders) or the room was too cold or the tv would not work. They'd be yelling at me or cussing me. I'd say I understand, if you can let me give you right person I will get help. One guy said "no you get off your lazy a double S and come fix it now". I said sir, I do not have the ability to do that, I am not in charge of that department. It took me 45 minutes to get through to him. I remained calm and finally got him the person he needed and he finally apologized. It was nuts.  

mattiehatter
by Mary on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:29 AM

It's not the waitresses fault that the food is bad.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:34 AM
9 moms liked this
We went to restaurant one night and I ordered a steak, which they just could not seem to cook properly. In the end the manager comped our ENTIRE bill. I still tipped that waitress 20% on what the bill would have been because she was sweet as pie.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:43 AM
3 moms liked this

i complain to the manager but i would still tip the waitress.  it's not her fault the food sucks

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I tip based on service, not the quality of food. That's beyond her control!

P.e.b.b.l.e.s
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:51 AM
9 moms liked this

I don't agree.  She took the order, she should make sure it is right before she brings it to the table.  I waitressed for many years and I always double checked my food before bringing it to the table.  

ETA:  I have been quoted and asked the same thing many times.  I am done answering the same questions over and over.  Please do not ask me again how you tell if things are done if you are a waitress.  You can look at a steak and tell if your customer ordered a rare to medium steak and the one you're serving is well done or vice versa.  You can look at other types of meat and see if they're cooked how the customer ordered (grilled, fried, baked, etc.)  You can look at a sandwich and see your customer ordered it plain and it is completely dressed or vice versa.  You can look at your customers plate and see if it has the proper sides before serving it.  A waitress does have control over what she serves to a large extent.  

She cannot control if the TASTE is bad and no where in the original reply did I state that.  

If someone other than the waitress that took the order serves the meal to the customer, then that waitress needs to be at the table within a few minutes of it being served to make sure the customer is happy.

And never did I state that I wouldn't tip if the order wasn't perfect.  I did say in later replies it depends on how the waitress handled it.  Did she make me feel like I was taking up her precious time with wanting my food the way I ordered it?  Tip goes down.  Did she immediately offer to fix the situation and fixed it without an attitude and everything else about her service was good?  Tip is unchanged, 20%.  Now if there were several things wrong with the order the minute it was served, yes, the tip just took a nose dive.  

But I am done answering the same questions over and over only to be called an idiot, a cheap bitch, being accused of having my head up my ass, and all the other insults.  I waitressed for years.  I know how much control one has over what makes it out to the tables.  A lot of the "mistakes" that make it to the table are uncalled for. 

AslantheLioness
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM

That doesn't do anything about how it tastes. The server has no control over that.

Quoting P.e.b.b.l.e.s:

I don't agree.  She took the order, she should make sure it is right before she brings it to the table.  I waitressed for many years and I always double checked my food before bringing it to the table.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)