Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My pediatrician keeps kissing my baby...**ETA** ***ETA #2***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a newborn, I took her to the dr at 4 days old for her first weight check then just again at 11 days old for another weight check. When he picks her up after exam he kisses her, twice the first time and once the second.

How would you feel about this?

ETA: To answer some repeated questions

He is american male high 30's low 40's. I'm not saying I think he is a pervert, I was just shocked! I just wanted opinions and to see how other moms would feel or react!

ETA #2

Ok, so the kisses were on the back of her head and her forehead. He is my son dr as well but only for the last year so ive met him 3 other times. He is not a family friend or anything. He has never been inapproiate with my son or anything like that or i obviously wouldnt have taken my daughter to him.

I feel that it was unprofessional and pretty inapproiate considering he is a dr and he of all peoople should know how dangerous germs are to a 4 day old baby.I do not feel this way only because he is a man, a dr is a dr to me

To the women calling me a liar, read the replies, so many women said their drs do this so get the hell out of my post

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Replies (701-710):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Well, I apologize then.  I thought you were laughingly dismissing my posting.  I do not take CF as a joke.  My daughter has asthma.  They were having trouble diagnosing her and one of the things they tested her for was CF.  She tested positive for CF, but was close to the baseline, so the doctor wanted to retest her, but wanted to wait for 3 weeks.  Those three weeks were some of the hardest of my life.  We prayed it was asthma.  Who wants their child to have asthma?  Well, if the alternative is CF, we did. 

I apologize for taking it the wrong way. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know about it asshole the way you put it was amusing. Christ get your panties out of your ass.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, you obviously do not know much, do you? And of course, you did no research.

FROM WEB MD:

Cystic fibrosis is usually diagnosed at an early age. Although the symptoms are not the same for everyone, some common symptoms of a baby who has cystic fibrosis include:

• A blocked small intestine at birth, which prevents the baby from passing his or her first stool.

• Very salty sweat or skin.

• Diarrhea.

• Not growing or gaining weight the way that other children do.

• Breathing problems, lung infections, a cough that does not go away, and wheezing.

ONE of the ways babies are checked is by kissing them.  It was called the KISS OF LIFE campaign.  This was a huge campain back in the 1980's to help people recognize the symptoms of CF. 

YOU obviously are not old enough to remember this campaign. I do.  So, don't always laugh at what you do not know.  This campaign helped people to start recognizing the earlier symptoms of CF and for the poor children to start getting early treatment.  CF is no laughing matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

That just made me lol! I get what you're saying but the idea of a pedi "tasting" all of his patients is amusing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Haven't you ever heard of the "Kiss of Life"?  One of the early symptoms of CF is a kiss.  If a child is salty tasting, they could possible have CF.  It is a way to checking a child.  Be grateful your doctor is checking.

AnnRmommaof3
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM

We were very close with our last ped. He was with us since my 10 year old was a baby, until he turned 9. He gave hugs, no kisses but hugs, I never had an issue.

Sammi20
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:31 AM

I admit it's a little weird. I don't know what I'd do. You could switch Dr.s... but asking him to stop would probably make you both feel uncomfortable Every visit...

apollothor
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Babies do get immunities from kisses.  We're big baby huggers and kissers in my family but it would be among us only. If the doctor kisses all the babies he could spread an infection from a sick baby to all the others.  We don't know if he kisses them all.  If the baby's mom can't stand it then she should say so or anonymously ask the local medical society to call him. I had a female pediatrician from China and she used to hug the babies in a very gentle sweet way before an exam. She spoke with the kids and listened to them. She was a great doctor who loved kids.

catstoys4fun
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I personally don't think there is a problem with it. If it bothers you and you don't want him doing it because you are uncomfortable with it, and don't want to come right out and ask him to stop, find a way to ask him with out asking him to top.

Notamom1234
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM

I think you are overreacting.  Maybe the doctor generally cares about the baby. On the other hand, if it REALLY bothers you, speak up and let the doctor know how you feel, and tell the doctor to stop.  Don't just sit there.  If the doctor was slapping your child would you just sit there and say to yourself, "Oh this makes me feel so uncomfortable"?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Your overreacting now...your comment was a little ridiculous!

Quoting Notamom1234:

I think you are overreacting.  Maybe the doctor generally cares about the baby. On the other hand, if it REALLY bothers you, speak up and let the doctor know how you feel, and tell the doctor to stop.  Don't just sit there.  If the doctor was slapping your child would you just sit there and say to yourself, "Oh this makes me feel so uncomfortable"?

presi2052
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Trust your gut! If you do not like the doctor or the office, change him.  If not possible, bring another person to the next visit and have them make a comment how that is uncomfortable for your family beliefs....   

Platinum_blonde
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM

What is he? A politician on the side?wink mini

Arione
by Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I wouldn't be comfortable with that. I think it wouldn't hurt to ask him why he's doing this, as that is the most direct way to find out. You may have to trust your instincts along with his answer. If you still aren't comfortable then it's time to find another pediatrician.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)