Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What company's make this??

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am looking for hormone, antibiotic and steroid free chicken. Do any of the company's make it like that or do I have to go organic to get it??

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Idk, here's a bump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I know what you are asking and I do not know, but I am giggling at the idea of a company making a meat that comes from a slaughtered animal. Sorry, it just makes me giggle.

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I think Perdue does.  There's also a company called Harvestland.  They're really good.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

momofcrazypants
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

IDK. We buy organic.

Italiancouture7
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Quoting momofcrazypants:

IDK. We buy organic.

I know beef is super expensive to buy organic but what about Chicken?? Is it more affordable?? We have a whole foods here, I'm sure they would have it.

happehcrone
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Do you have an Amish community near you?  When I lived in Michigan, I used to get eggs and "naturally raised" chickens from the local Amish.

balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

If you want truly homone and antibiotic free, go organic.

That being said, I would never ever in a million years buy a commercially produced chicken. The breed they use is awful and disgusting and it has relatively no flavor. I would find a farmer that I trust, and buy his/her products. This is what DH and I do. We buy several heritage breed, organic, pastured chickens from a woman a few towns over. A lot more flavor and much better for you.

momofcrazypants
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM

It isn't too bad, really. I haven't been to Whole Foods in a while, we moved to a rural area. We do have a Kroger though. What we do is we look at the dates on the meat, usually a day or two before that date the store will mark them down. We pick them up them and put it in our deep freezer. It's still good and significantly cheaper. Also, I've ordered from Polyface Farms before, but I don't know where you're at geographically. Their prices aren't too bad. Whole Foods may mark the meats down as well, not certain, but they may.

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Quoting momofcrazypants:

IDK. We buy organic.

I know beef is super expensive to buy organic but what about Chicken?? Is it more affordable?? We have a whole foods here, I'm sure they would have it.

momofcrazypants
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Also, check your local farmers markets! That's a biggie.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Hormone-free is expected as no chicken is allowed to be given hormones. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)