Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Large breed dog owners....injury question

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 12 Replies

We have a 7 year old English mastiff. On Saturday, we noticed she had slight limp while taking her for a walk. We cut the walk short and got her home. By Sunday, she was putting little pressure on her leg. Sunday night she would yelp while getting up. We took her to the vet yesterday. He manipulated the leg and stretched it out to check her hips. She barely squealed while at the vet. He gave her a pain killer and joint medicine. He said, it is possible she strained something and to let her rest and give her medicine. He said if it hasn't gotten better in a couple of weeks we need to bring her back for x rays. She has a hard time getting up, but once she does she gets around ok.

Have any of you had leg isssues in your large breed dogs?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherhalf
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

My 90lb lab does.  He has a bad back leg from birth and probably due to that, he keeps straining his front shoulder.  I just have to keep him from running around when its like that.  His front shoulder actually dislocated once and by the time I got him to the vet it had reset and he was fine. 

wulfbourne
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

My greyhound is 9 and he's starting to get mild arthritis.  I'll occationally notice him walking stiffly.  I use EFAC (essential fatty acid complex) on his gums which is also supposed to help with joints once absorbed.

TBH, I'm a bit surprised they didn't do an Xray when you first brought him in.  Hope your furbaby starts feeling better soon.

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM

They easily get arthritis, hip problems, could tear a tendon or it could just be the sprain, but unless she isn't used to walking much or started running out the blue or something, I'd doubt a sprain really. At 7 she could easily have arthritis or hip problems. Hope she gets to feeling better soon!

Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Raven got stiff in his final year, but other than that, he was fine.

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

7 is getting old for a mastiff.

If she isn't already, definitely get her on glucosamine.  I have a tiny old dog now, but it helps him like you would not believe.  You can use stuff meant for humans too, it is much cheaper that way.

wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM

She's a large breed dog so is more prone to hip dysplasia

TippyD
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Our Dane tends to have a harder time getting up. For the last 2 years or so, he will have to stretch and takes his time getting up. When my husband takes him for runs, he can only go a mile or so before the dog is just DONE. :(  Then it will take him a few hours , sometimes a day or two, to recover..

Hate that he has such a short life span! Ours is 9 years old... 

slransde
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Oh I miss my mastiff...what amazing dogs...

One of ours ended up with hip displacia (sp?). The only way to fix it was a very expensive surgery...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedbyGod141
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM
We breed and show English mastiffs. She is 7 and could have arthritis. I would start her on a glucosomine (sp?) supplement. Give it a few days to see of what vet have her worked. I have all my senior dogs on supplements.
km1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM

We have her on Rimadyl and dasuquin. Would arthritis show up literally overnight? Before this, she has never had issues.

Quoting blessedbyGod141:

We breed and show English mastiffs. She is 7 and could have arthritis. I would start her on a glucosomine (sp?) supplement. Give it a few days to see of what vet have her worked. I have all my senior dogs on supplements.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)