Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mothers of toddlers

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Does anybody know a nearly 3 yr old who knows what respect is? Well here's how I generated this question. DHs family babysits my son who's going to be 3 March 31st. Well they claim he doesn't respects anybody. When he's cranky he tries to hit others, for that I explain what he did wrong and put him in time out. He doesn't listen to others half of the time, and according to them doesn't comply with time out ( I usually put him back if he tries to get out) . Well I think its unrealistic to expect a nearly 3 yr old to respect, he is being taught how to behave. Now are they right or wrong to expect him to quote on quote learn how to respect soon?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Bump!
D.O.E.
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM

my 2 yr old understand "personal space" and that hitting is wrong. 

he knows what is acceptable behaviour and what is not. now does he always play by the rules? mweh he gets pissed off sometimes and misbehaves, but when i send him to time out he understands why he is in time out

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I think people in general expect children to behave as adults and that is a failure on the adults part not the childs.
abigailsmommy11
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My 3 year old and almost 2 year old know respect. So, I think they are right to expect that of him.

robyann
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

He's still learning. There is no magic age that a child can be respectful, it's a process. Sounds like they are not contributing to the process. Their attitude towards your ds will make him uncomfortable and more likely to act out. Even if they do not say these these things around him, he can sense how they feel by the way they treat him. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Interesting...
Please explain your opinion on yelling instead of redirecting toddlers...I ask because the answer is for somebody else.

Quoting robyann:

He's still learning. There is no magic age that a child can be respectful, it's a process. Sounds like they are not contributing to the process. Their attitude towards your ds will make him uncomfortable and more likely to act out. Even if they do not say these these things around him, he can sense how they feel by the way they treat him. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Interesting...
Please explain your opinion on yelling instead of redirecting toddlers...I ask because the answer is for somebody else.

Quoting robyann:

daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM

a 3 yr old does not comprehend the meaning of respect, but at three their behavior can model it.  3 is more then old enough to understand not to hit, and to follow the instructions of an adult.  So while they may have unrealistic expectations of he "respecting" people, sounds like you have lose expectations on what is appropriate behavior for his age. 

caito
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Some kids catch on quicker than others. I think it's absolutely insane to expect every single three year old child to understand the concept of respect. They're still babies in the grand scheme of things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)