Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

can you cure autism?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dsd is four and has autism. She is starting a new home therapy program. The lady came tonight to go over it with dh and I. She met with Bm last week about it. Anyway, the lady said this program cured her own daughter of autism and that she went from being non verbal to no one believing she once had autism. I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I am all for helping dsd but if autism had a cure, why isn't everyone using the program?????
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Replies (191-200):
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Eye crossing and seizures are not autism. I have no doubt there are some very bad reactins to vaccines including braon injury and death. However id look closer at chemicals and toxins especially those injested during development and after birth. A lot of commercial products have chemicals that can bu ild up and affect Neuroligical and other body functions. No thanks

Quoting Anonymous:

Some babies I was reading about it was at 6 months went cross eyed and could longer hold their head up. Seizures immediately following which led to developmental delays etc. I do believe synthetic supplements play a huge role in some health issues, sine have been reported to cause organ damage. I also believe that synthetic sweeteners have been a huge contributor in arising possible. These could be factors to consider when analyzing whether we are slowly losing are ability to tolerate vaccines.

Quoting svolkov:

I think the problem is there is late onset autism that usually happens around two....yhe exact same time of many shots. So a child would be normally developing then regress. The genome idea would be what might make some more susceptible they are thinkng. The folate research hasnt been peer reviewed or published yet. I got access to it from my university for a research paper I am working on for my phd. Its pretty interesting tho

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't believe it is the only contributing factor but I do believe in some cases it is. There are to many regressions of children immediately following a round of vaccines. As of yet there has been know conscious effort by the medical community to publicly address that. I an excited to hear there is ongoing research into those things.

Quoting svolkov:

We delay vax however that isnt the cause of autism. They are looking closely at sythetic folates as well as some genome on the 14chromosome (my good friend is actually working on that research at harvard right now!)

Quoting Anonymous:

That is when they started taking in out and vaccines still have aluminum which is just as toxic. Another reason is over stimulation of the immune system. When I was a kid there were 10 shots total and you didn't receive 6 at a time as an infant. Those numbers clearly go over epa guideline for these substances. And technically there are no safety studies on children that small.

Quoting svolkov:

Only flu vaccine has mercury since yhe mid 90s and autism rates continue to skyrocket

Quoting Anonymous:

2 court cases say otherwise. One in the u.s. one in Italy. There is scientific research since one of the package inserts lists it as a side affect. Do you not think it's an alarming epidemic the rise in rates of autism just since her book and really no drastic intervention from the medical community? You don't have to agree with her to utilize the information she provides. She is in no way claiming ti be a physician but where exactly do you think a child would ingest alarming rates of mercury besides vaccines?

Quoting Anonymous:

She had people not vaccinating their kids because she "knew" it gave her son autism with NO scientific evidence. I'm sorry, I'm not helping her get richer. We have an entire team of experts to help dsd and it doesn't include Jenny mccarthy.

Quoting Anonymous:

She is a recognizable public figure and many parents have had similar success with their children because she was willing to speak out. If magic Johnson went around telling people what alternative treatments he did ti cure aids he would be hailed as a hero. Personally I don't care for her but he message about autism is a good one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because she isn't a Dr or in my opinion a great advocate for the autism community. Imho I believe she has done a lot of harm regarding the autism community.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your child really has autism and she has had great success with her son, why would you mitt at the very least hear what she has to say regardless of your perception of her? There are some children who have genetic issues that put them on the spectrum, others it is environmental. Let's liken it to allergies, once you isolate the problem you can work on eliminating it. MOST children with autism,add,adhd and hyper activity are very sensitive to foods and have digestive issues. Allopathy generally will not address these issues and so in areas where improvement CAN be made you are missing out. Her son specifically was low on glutathione which is produced in live and aids in detoxing your body from contaminates like heavy metals. Her son had a build up of mercury specially from vaccinesand they were able to treat him based on this finding. Look up mercury poisoning and the symptoms are practically identical to autism. So in reality her son was not even autistic, he had symptoms caused by heavy metal poisoning and was miss diagnosed.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. Should I? To be honest, I find her offputting.

Quoting Anonymous:

have you read jenny mccarthy's book?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fairyjester
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

you cannot cure autism , however with the right therepies the children can progress amazingly ,    and yes even to the point where it seems  gone.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Let's be real.

Autism is an umbrella and not a specific one fits all diagnosis.

Many kids with autism have underlying causes that differ, and the umbrella is so big there are some kids in there that if you fix the underlying causes will lose all or most of their autistic symptoms.

However, there is a much larger group that have underlying causes that are not so easy to recognize and treat, and they will likely remain autistic always.

You have to understand too that even a kid who is always autistic can change in how autistic they are, how much their symptoms impact them.  I have two autistic nephews, one more severely impacted than the other.  The one more severely impacted did not speak at all until he was 7.  He has improved in speech but his speech is still not correct and he's almost 17.

You do the best you can and the goal should be optimization of your child, the best they can be, whatever that means for them.

Good luck to you.

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

there is no cure for autism. However, there are some very good therapies that assist the child in making great strides in development. She will forever be autistic. She however will learn positive and effective coping strategies to live in this world.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I loved that book, I read it in a day lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM
No.

Aba has greatly helped my DD learn to cope with her autism, but we expect autism to always be apart of our lives.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I grew up with an autistic cousin.  My aunt used to read all these books about autism and/or written by autistic people.  I remember reading one (and it was 17 years ago so there is no hope of remembering the name of this book) that was written by an autistic man.  He recalled his entire life feeling like there was a barrier he couldn't break through to communicate with other people.  Then one day he made a decision to break through that barrier and he started communicating like a typical person.  It was an interesting read.  

So, I don't know if I believe autism can be cured.  I believe 9 times out of 10 autism is the symptom of a greater problem.  So in those cases, if the issue is diagnosed and treated, the symptoms will disappear.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 28 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM
This exactly. Therapy has helped my son so much! He went from being unable to even answer a question to holding conversations with us. He will always be autistic but that doesn't mean he can't live an awesome, fairly normal life :)

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

You don't "cure" autism, but there are lots of things that can help the effects and behaviors. Good luck with whatever route you choose! Don't be afraid to speak up if you feel somethings not working, every single autistic child is different and there are many different methods to try! 

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Just one little teensy weensy problem.

The kids don't  'develop normally and regress'.    They were missing milestones all along - language milestones, etc.

Skills do indeed disappear, but they were not meeting  major milestones, well before 2, and well before vaccination.

They are not 'developing normally and then stop developing normally'.   That is a fallacy.

Read Catalano, who is an expert on 'late onset autism'.   Also consider reading about CDD.

Quoting svolkov:

I think the problem is there is late onset autism that usually happens around two....yhe exact same time of many shots. So a child would be normally developing then regress. The genome idea would be what might make some more susceptible they are thinkng. The folate research hasnt been peer reviewed or published yet. I got access to it from my university for a research paper I am working on for my phd. Its pretty interesting tho

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Eye crossing and seizures are neurological problems, those were the first reactions followed by asd when the child was old enough ti be assessed. At what point are these other factors taken into account.

Quoting svolkov:

Eye crossing and seizures are not autism. I have no doubt there are some very bad reactins to vaccines including braon injury and death. However id look closer at chemicals and toxins especially those injested during development and after birth. A lot of commercial products have chemicals that can bu ild up and affect Neuroligical and other body functions. No thanks

Quoting Anonymous:

Some babies I was reading about it was at 6 months went cross eyed and could longer hold their head up. Seizures immediately following which led to developmental delays etc. I do believe synthetic supplements play a huge role in some health issues, sine have been reported to cause organ damage. I also believe that synthetic sweeteners have been a huge contributor in arising possible. These could be factors to consider when analyzing whether we are slowly losing are ability to tolerate vaccines.

Quoting svolkov:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't believe it is the only contributing factor but I do believe in some cases it is. There are to many regressions of children immediately following a round of vaccines. As of yet there has been know conscious effort by the medical community to publicly address that. I an excited to hear there is ongoing research into those things.

Quoting svolkov:

We delay vax however that isnt the cause of autism. They are looking closely at sythetic folates as well as some genome on the 14chromosome (my good friend is actually working on that research at harvard right now!)

Quoting Anonymous:

That is when they started taking in out and vaccines still have aluminum which is just as toxic. Another reason is over stimulation of the immune system. When I was a kid there were 10 shots total and you didn't receive 6 at a time as an infant. Those numbers clearly go over epa guideline for these substances. And technically there are no safety studies on children that small.

Quoting svolkov:

Only flu vaccine has mercury since yhe mid 90s and autism rates continue to skyrocket

Quoting Anonymous:

2 court cases say otherwise. One in the u.s. one in Italy. There is scientific research since one of the package inserts lists it as a side affect. Do you not think it's an alarming epidemic the rise in rates of autism just since her book and really no drastic intervention from the medical community? You don't have to agree with her to utilize the information she provides. She is in no way claiming ti be a physician but where exactly do you think a child would ingest alarming rates of mercury besides vaccines?

Quoting Anonymous:

She had people not vaccinating their kids because she "knew" it gave her son autism with NO scientific evidence. I'm sorry, I'm not helping her get richer. We have an entire team of experts to help dsd and it doesn't include Jenny mccarthy.

Quoting Anonymous:

She is a recognizable public figure and many parents have had similar success with their children because she was willing to speak out. If magic Johnson went around telling people what alternative treatments he did ti cure aids he would be hailed as a hero. Personally I don't care for her but he message about autism is a good one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because she isn't a Dr or in my opinion a great advocate for the autism community. Imho I believe she has done a lot of harm regarding the autism community.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your child really has autism and she has had great success with her son, why would you mitt at the very least hear what she has to say regardless of your perception of her? There are some children who have genetic issues that put them on the spectrum, others it is environmental. Let's liken it to allergies, once you isolate the problem you can work on eliminating it. MOST children with autism,add,adhd and hyper activity are very sensitive to foods and have digestive issues. Allopathy generally will not address these issues and so in areas where improvement CAN be made you are missing out. Her son specifically was low on glutathione which is produced in live and aids in detoxing your body from contaminates like heavy metals. Her son had a build up of mercury specially from vaccinesand they were able to treat him based on this finding. Look up mercury poisoning and the symptoms are practically identical to autism. So in reality her son was not even autistic, he had symptoms caused by heavy metal poisoning and was miss diagnosed.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. Should I? To be honest, I find her offputting.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN