Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

can you cure autism?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dsd is four and has autism. She is starting a new home therapy program. The lady came tonight to go over it with dh and I. She met with Bm last week about it. Anyway, the lady said this program cured her own daughter of autism and that she went from being non verbal to no one believing she once had autism. I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I am all for helping dsd but if autism had a cure, why isn't everyone using the program?????
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Replies (211-220):
tennisgal
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

can you elaborate on how your 4yo was diagnosed with autism?? not being bitchy, genuinely curious

starsshine97
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

i agree with you my daughter has it and i have never heard of that and we have tryed everything

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

As an ABA therapist with 10 years experience working with children with autism, I believe you can do a ton to help your child, but not cure her.  I think ABA therapy helps a great deal with learning basic skills, eye contact, academics etc.  I also think looking into biomedical and diet changes is worth it. 

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Aluminum is the 3rd most abundant element on the planet; we are constantly exposed to it through eating, drinking and breathing, in far great quantities than in any vaccine. There is aluminum coursing throug your veins right now. Not to mention that aluminum salt compunds are used in vaccines, not elemental aluminum; the difference between them is analagous to the difference between chlorine and table salt.

EPA guidlines have no bearing on aluminum or any other vaccine ingredient, as the EPA regulates environmental issues (air, land and water pollution, hazardous waste) and chronic exposure. Guidlines for pharmaceutical products are regulated by the FDA. 

Quoting Anonymous:

That is when they started taking in out and vaccines still have aluminum which is just as toxic. Another reason is over stimulation of the immune system. When I was a kid there were 10 shots total and you didn't receive 6 at a time as an infant. Those numbers clearly go over epa guideline for these substances. And technically there are no safety studies on children that small.

RandiBear
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Check out http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/  It's called the Son Rise program. They will have all the information you would need. There is no "cure" because it's genetic, but the symptoms can be reduced and managed in many cases. Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

My dsd is four and has autism. She is starting a new home therapy program. The lady came tonight to go over it with dh and I. She met with Bm last week about it. Anyway, the lady said this program cured her own daughter of autism and that she went from being non verbal to no one believing she once had autism. I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I am all for helping dsd but if autism had a cure, why isn't everyone using the program?????

paganmommy4
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM

There are things you can do to make it less worse than it is. Its called an elimination diet.. No wheat products and no red dye # 40. There is some correlation between wheat and autism. Its not fatal so there is no real cure for it. Autism isn't a disease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Sure. She had some things at first that weren't attributed to autism. She rolled over at six months, sat up about eight months, walked around 16 months and on her tippy toes. Didn't say any words until 18 months. I came into her life about this time. I have an older dd and told dh that something was off. We took her to pedi who did hearing test and forwarded us on to a center through children's hospital that specialized in autism. By the time we got in she was 21/2. They did all kinds of evaluations on her. At 21/2 she was in the 9-12 range developmentally. The official autism diagnosis came around three.

Quoting tennisgal:

can you elaborate on how your 4yo was diagnosed with autism?? not being bitchy, genuinely curious

Proudmommy0610
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM
That's good that her school is working with her as well. I did some of the diets that were suggested and they help but I didn't see a major difference. And DS is such a picky eater we cut the dieting off. I wish you the best of luck. There is a light at the end of the tunnel trust me just don't give in and always follow ur intuition.

Quoting Anonymous:

She is actually already in a school for autistic kids and they have therapy right on the classroom and then one on one daily as well. This program would be in addition to that.

Quoting Proudmommy0610:

Autism can not be cured but the right therapies and therapist can greatly help any child. My DS has Aspergers and we knew something was up and we fought like hell to get him the best therapists and programs. The improvement is great he is verbal is learning to express himself and be social also to interact with others but this is because of the proper therapy. I'm not sure where you live but look into schools that cater to children with autism because it definitely helped our son. He is actually going to be in an integrated preschool class this September versus a special needs class only because his improvement is so good he can now function in a less structured environment. There is hope if you need to ask me anything advice resources let me. Blessings and best of luck

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I so hate Jenny McFuckhead.  Her son is not even autistic, from what I understand; he has an entirely different disorder that mimics autism.

Can I remember what it is?  No.  But I hate her with the flaming passion of a thousand firey suns.  And anyone who thinks she knows what she's talking about or is any kind of expert is a MORON.

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Temple herself said Autism is like having cancer and then being cancer free you always wonder IF the cancer will come back but you do get better from the cancer same as the Autism Jenny is an a**hat as far as I am concerned there is no cure just help and a lot of work! My son has gone from non verbal to being almost NT in many ways!

Quoting crescentstar2:

I think stuff like that is BS 

elkmomma
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

No there is no CURE.  You learn varying techniques and strategies to lesson the symptoms and skills to deal with the difficulties.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)