Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can you cure autism?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dsd is four and has autism. She is starting a new home therapy program. The lady came tonight to go over it with dh and I. She met with Bm last week about it. Anyway, the lady said this program cured her own daughter of autism and that she went from being non verbal to no one believing she once had autism. I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I am all for helping dsd but if autism had a cure, why isn't everyone using the program?????
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Replies (241-248):
milfanyway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:53 AM
I don't think there is a cure. It's not a disease to be cured. I think that behavior therapy can help with overt problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:00 AM

A pediatrician does not diagnose autism.  He/she may see some traits and behaviors associated with autism but then would refer the child for further testing.  A typical diagnostic evaluation involves a multi-disciplinary team of doctors including a pediatrician, psychologist, speech and language pathologist, and occupational therapist.

Quoting Anonymous:

I worked in a pediatrician office, and saw many kids that were diagnozed. 

My niece was diagnozed. She is a little hyper, she didn't listen to what you whould say to her, no eye contact, she was always on the move (Her mother was like that when she was little, she is a Dr now)  Now my niece is in school and completely normal, still a little crazy :-))), but normal. 

Im not saing that there are no Autistic kids, I know there are. At the same time I do believe that sometimes kids get misdiagnosed.  

Quoting SuDoNim:

If you've ever been through the rigors of an autism screeening, you'd know that it takes a lot more than shyness or behavioral issues to get a diagnosis. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate to agree. Some diagnosed children do not have Autism. They are just really shy or have some behavioral issues that they grow out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. The only reason they are "CURED" is because they did not actually have anything wrong with them in the first place: ie, they were SUPER YOUNG when they were  "diagnosed", and then 5 years later all their issues are gone. Nope. Super bullshit

Beccahairlady
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:07 AM

The Son Rise program can be successful in helping your child to lose the diagnosis.

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Again, shyness or behavorial issues are not autism. In order to get a clinical diagnosis, a child must show impairments in 3 areas: social interaction, communication and restrictive interests/repetitive behaviors. With support and therapy, those impairments can improve greatly, but that doesn't mean a child was "misdiagnosed".

Quoting Anonymous:

I worked in a pediatrician office, and saw many kids that were diagnozed. 

My niece was diagnozed. She is a little hyper, she didn't listen to what you whould say to her, no eye contact, she was always on the move (Her mother was like that when she was little, she is a Dr now)  Now my niece is in school and completely normal, still a little crazy :-))), but normal. 

Im not saing that there are no Autistic kids, I know there are. At the same time I do believe that sometimes kids get misdiagnosed.  

Quoting SuDoNim:

If you've ever been through the rigors of an autism screeening, you'd know that it takes a lot more than shyness or behavioral issues to get a diagnosis. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate to agree. Some diagnosed children do not have Autism. They are just really shy or have some behavioral issues that they grow out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. The only reason they are "CURED" is because they did not actually have anything wrong with them in the first place: ie, they were SUPER YOUNG when they were  "diagnosed", and then 5 years later all their issues are gone. Nope. Super bullshit

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM
To answer your initial question. I don't know how severe your daughters autism is, but a therapist shouldn't tell you something like that. It's great that you're getting her 30hrs of therapy a week and that you're starting at such a young age.there is no cure for autism I do not care what anyone says and if they say different they do not have a child with it.
SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Autism is diagnosed based on the observations of a team of professionals, not the opinion of one doctor; if your cousin was lying, the diagnostic team would have seen through her inconsistencies. Plus, not all autistic children avoid social iinteraction; the evaluators look at how they interact.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not being rude but I think a lot of it has to do with the Dr.  My cousin got her son diagnosed with autism and 3/4 of the things she says that are wrong with him are complete lies and the other 1/4 are typical kid behavior (such a putting cars in a line).  She told her Dr and tried to convince me that he does not like to play with other kids, he just like to be by himself, ummmmm I have pictures of him bowling with a bunch of kids at my daughters birthday party and I have pictures of him jumping on the trampoline with a bunch of kids at my sons birthday party.  I have been around that kid enough and the only thing wrong with him is that he has a mother who reminds him daily how much she hates him and how she would give him up for adoption but she would lose his ssi money.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Here is the thing, most things they cannot observe such as how the child is in social situation, they have to go by what the parent says.  I would love to post the picture of him with a huge smile on his face holding hands with the kids in a circle jumping on the trampoline but I will not post a picture of someone else's kid.  She told the Dr and even tried to tell me that he does not like to play with other kids.  There are things a Dr just has to assume that the parents are not lying about.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Autism is diagnosed based on the observations of a team of professionals, not the opinion of one doctor; if your cousin was lying, the diagnostic team would have seen through her inconsistencies. Plus, not all autistic children avoid social iinteraction; the evaluators look at how they interact.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not being rude but I think a lot of it has to do with the Dr.  My cousin got her son diagnosed with autism and 3/4 of the things she says that are wrong with him are complete lies and the other 1/4 are typical kid behavior (such a putting cars in a line).  She told her Dr and tried to convince me that he does not like to play with other kids, he just like to be by himself, ummmmm I have pictures of him bowling with a bunch of kids at my daughters birthday party and I have pictures of him jumping on the trampoline with a bunch of kids at my sons birthday party.  I have been around that kid enough and the only thing wrong with him is that he has a mother who reminds him daily how much she hates him and how she would give him up for adoption but she would lose his ssi money.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Part of the evaluation process entails observing the child in a social situation. Autism diagnoses are not given just based on what the parent says.

Quoting Anonymous:

Here is the thing, most things they cannot observe such as how the child is in social situation, they have to go by what the parent says.  I would love to post the picture of him with a huge smile on his face holding hands with the kids in a circle jumping on the trampoline but I will not post a picture of someone else's kid.  She told the Dr and even tried to tell me that he does not like to play with other kids.  There are things a Dr just has to assume that the parents are not lying about.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured