Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would this upset you? (daycare related)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DS is 3.5. He goes to preschool full time, and generally likes it, except during the "aftercare" program (the last 2 hours or so). When a certain teacher is there (which is a lot lately), he gets really grumpy during the evening at home. BUT, we can never get him to talk about after care (he will talk sometimes about fun things he did during morning class).

But tonight, this was our exchange:

DS: Mommy I want to tell you a story. One day at school I went to go to the potty, and I came out and (teacher) and everyone else had left me all alone.

Me: How did that make you feel?

DS: It scared me. (*note he has never told me before that anything has scared him*)

Me: Thanks for telling me that story. I will call (director) tomorrow and make sure that doesn't happen anymore, okay?

DS: Okay mommy.

Would you be upset? I can't decide if the incident was a huge deal, or if I am just looking for more reasons to be worried about this teacher. :(
She usually doesn't do major things wrong, we just find her to be a bit out of touch with kids, and, again, DS is always crabby after being with her.

Btw, yesterday was the first day ever that he went to school with "big boy underwear" on instead of pullups. He is very new to potty training.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:36 AM
thanks. If this were the first concerning thing, I would be very hesitant. But we have worried about this teacher for ages. :(

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

I feel torn both ways because I have had the privilage of assisting in a really great preschool so when I imagine a child saying that from MY preschool I know it would be absurd.  However,  I know if MY dd were to come home and tell me that as a mother I would be really bothered.

I would definitely talk about it to the teacher's but don't go in there looking for a fight without hearing their story.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:04 AM
They are supposed to hotline themselves for that. It is a serious situation. You definitely need to go to the director and be prepared to make that hotline call if they haven't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Sorry, what do you mean by hotlining themselves?

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

They are supposed to hotline themselves for that. It is a serious situation. You definitely need to go to the director and be prepared to make that hotline call if they haven't.

Baby5678
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:36 AM
It's a huge deal
r7river
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM
I would address it but it could be worst. Like when my kids were going to daycare my son came home with a rope mark on his neck.... I didnt see it until i got home because he had his jacket zipped up completely. Went the next day only for the owner to say : can you that it happened here? I was like really why dont you ask my son and his class what happened..... She opened the door to her office and asked him in front of 16 other kids and.sure enough they all told her when, how and who did it to him. When i asked class what the teachers were doing they said on the phone... Needless to say i filed a report with the correct agencies in my state and when she was investigated she kicked my kids out of daycare and didnt even refund my money for the 2 months that were paid in advance....

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM
They are supposed to call CPS and open a case on themselves.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, what do you mean by hotlining themselves?

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
That doesn't seem very legal :(

Quoting r7river:

I would address it but it could be worst. Like when my kids were going to daycare my son came home with a rope mark on his neck.... I didnt see it until i got home because he had his jacket zipped up completely. Went the next day only for the owner to say : can you that it happened here? I was like really why dont you ask my son and his class what happened..... She opened the door to her office and asked him in front of 16 other kids and.sure enough they all told her when, how and who did it to him. When i asked class what the teachers were doing they said on the phone... Needless to say i filed a report with the correct agencies in my state and when she was investigated she kicked my kids out of daycare and didnt even refund my money for the 2 months that were paid in advance....

Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Please do not go into this discussion with the director of center with guns blazing and the attitude of, "I will have your job!"

Approach this situation reasonably and in the manner of informing the director versus an approach that is demanding.

The director needs to know how you feel about all of this and perhaps to even talk with your son, but I wouldn't anticipate anything other than a private discussion between the teacher, yourself and the director.

Also consider the possibility that your son, during those last 2 hours of a full day at daycare, is simply experiencing burn-out from being away. He might be tired and just ready to go home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Yep. I've worked in too many bad daycares too trust them.
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM
He is almost four and you cant always go into the potty room with them
I would talk to the teacher
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN