Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would this upset you? (daycare related)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DS is 3.5. He goes to preschool full time, and generally likes it, except during the "aftercare" program (the last 2 hours or so). When a certain teacher is there (which is a lot lately), he gets really grumpy during the evening at home. BUT, we can never get him to talk about after care (he will talk sometimes about fun things he did during morning class).

But tonight, this was our exchange:

DS: Mommy I want to tell you a story. One day at school I went to go to the potty, and I came out and (teacher) and everyone else had left me all alone.

Me: How did that make you feel?

DS: It scared me. (*note he has never told me before that anything has scared him*)

Me: Thanks for telling me that story. I will call (director) tomorrow and make sure that doesn't happen anymore, okay?

DS: Okay mommy.

Would you be upset? I can't decide if the incident was a huge deal, or if I am just looking for more reasons to be worried about this teacher. :(
She usually doesn't do major things wrong, we just find her to be a bit out of touch with kids, and, again, DS is always crabby after being with her.

Btw, yesterday was the first day ever that he went to school with "big boy underwear" on instead of pullups. He is very new to potty training.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
For what? Letting a child go potty by himself
You dont know how long he was in there nor the citcumstances

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

They are supposed to call CPS and open a case on themselves.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, what do you mean by hotlining themselves?

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

They are supposed to hotline themselves for that. It is a serious situation. You definitely need to go to the director and be prepared to make that hotline call if they haven't.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I agree, I would never go in guns blazing; and I really like the director.

He is pretty tired at the end of the day, but he ONLY acts like this when she is the teacher. When others are there he is fine, and usually happy.

I don't think she does bad things to him, I just don't think he feels safe around her. I just don't think she knows how to interact with small children.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Please do not go into this discussion with the director of center with guns blazing and the attitude of, "I will have your job!"

Approach this situation reasonably and in the manner of informing the director versus an approach that is demanding.

The director needs to know how you feel about all of this and perhaps to even talk with your son, but I wouldn't anticipate anything other than a private discussion between the teacher, yourself and the director.

Also consider the possibility that your son, during those last 2 hours of a full day at daycare, is simply experiencing burn-out from being away. He might be tired and just ready to go home.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Leaving a child alone is a major major major infraction. I live in Texas and if you accidentally left a kid alone, say in the bathroom when you took the rest of the kids outside you were immediately fired.

I would speak to the director and she will then by law be required to report that to state who will come and investigate. I would ask her a few days later if she called state and what the outcome is and if she didn't call state or you think she is lying YOU call them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I'd bring it up to the teacher first, instead of the director. Maybe something happened with another student, or maybe DS was leaving something out (as most 3.5 year olds do). Talk to the teacher, get her side, and if that doesn't work or you're not satisfied then go to the director.

And make sure DS doesn't know you're taking this so far as well. He may feel like he got the teacher in trouble and not feel comfortable telling you anything anymore. Tread lightly here.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM
You can't leave a kid alone. Period. It's part of minimum standards and yes once the director is made aware of an incident she is required by law to contact state.

Quoting silverdawn99:

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

They are supposed to hotline themselves for that. It is a serious situation. You definitely need to go to the director and be prepared to make that hotline call if they haven't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beaugrl0824
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I would be pissed. One of the first things I learned when I worked in daycare is to ALWAYS do a headcount every time we left the room and when we got to where we were going. As well as random headcounts. Leaving a child unsupervised was grounds for dismissal no matter what the circumstances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Is there a way that the director might be willing to switch afternoon teachers (or has he been with other teachers at the end of the day and not behaved like this?)?

The director needs to know how he feels, what happened when he was left alone and for that matter, so does this afternoon teacher.

Quoting Anonymous:

He is pretty tired at the end of the day, but he ONLY acts like this when she is the teacher. When others are there he is fine, and usually happy.

I don't think she does bad things to him, I just don't think he feels safe around her. I just don't think she knows how to interact with small children.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Please do not go into this discussion with the director of center with guns blazing and the attitude of, "I will have your job!"

Approach this situation reasonably and in the manner of informing the director versus an approach that is demanding.

The director needs to know how you feel about all of this and perhaps to even talk with your son, but I wouldn't anticipate anything other than a private discussion between the teacher, yourself and the director.

Also consider the possibility that your son, during those last 2 hours of a full day at daycare, is simply experiencing burn-out from being away. He might be tired and just ready to go home.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM
It said when the child came out if the bathroom, he was alone.

Quoting silverdawn99:

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I sent an email to the director, and will call today.

DS is only 3, so there is always a chance that the teacher was waiting outside the bathroom and he just expected her to be in there and got scared. In that case, it would still be inappropriate (DS should not be scared), but not necessarily against the law.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Leaving a child alone is a major major major infraction. I live in Texas and if you accidentally left a kid alone, say in the bathroom when you took the rest of the kids outside you were immediately fired.

I would speak to the director and she will then by law be required to report that to state who will come and investigate. I would ask her a few days later if she called state and what the outcome is and if she didn't call state or you think she is lying YOU call them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I emailed the director, and will call her today.

DS does not act like this usually when other teachers do the afternoon shift

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Is there a way that the director might be willing to switch afternoon teachers (or has he been with other teachers at the end of the day and not behaved like this?)?

The director needs to know how he feels, what happened when he was left alone and for that matter, so does this afternoon teacher.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN