Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why I Stopped Being A Christian

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I first began to "lose the faith", as they say, at a very young age.  It all came down to the fact that I did simply did not like this being that I was supposed to worship and fear.  When I was a child, I remember taking issue with the commandment "Thou shall have no other god before me, for I am a jealous god", (a) because of that last bit, and (b) because everyone seemed to overlook the fact that it said "no other god before me" (as opposed to "no other god but me").  Later in life, it was bits like this one that I took issue with:
"Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it." (Matthew 10:34–39 NASB)

Then of course I learned more about science and logic and it all seemed highly unlikely. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Replies (51-58):
Youngmother456
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:39 AM
I suppose we just have two different views on this. Fair enough. Good night.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not offended that one holds a different belief than mine on anything. I am offended when someone belittles mine in an attempt to make it less valid.

Again, you can say, or let others know that you don't agree without being offensive about it.

Quoting Youngmother456:

That fact that I do not believe what you believe means that I do not think what you believe is valid enough for me to believe in it. Therefore I am saying by default your belief is not valid. It may be valid to you but it isn't to me.

Again, it is pretty sad that if I say something that is alreay implied you are offended.

Valid, stupid, illogical, fiction and mythology all are interchangeable here.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, the words are what makes it offensive to the one who holds the belief that differs from yours. When you say my beliefs are mythology,stupid, or whatever, by your words, you are stating that my beliefs are less valid than yours. That does in no way actually make my beliefs any less valid a belief, but it is what makes it offensive.

Quoting Youngmother456:

You said "When I actually tell you that you are stupid for believing something, or I say to you that your beliefs are illogical, then I am making your belief less valid than mine."

You also said "My belief does not make your belief any less valid to you"

So let's go through this. So my belief that your belief is not valid (so I don't believe in it) does not do anything to make your belief less valid to you. But if I actually say it outloud (or type it) somehow the words have the power to make your belief less valid?

Quoting Anonymous:

I never said it made it less valid, I am saying that is what makes it offensive...that's why this whole discussion started.

Quoting Youngmother456:

You are right that your belief does not make my nonbelief less valid to me. Neither does calling it illogical or stupid.

It's pretty sad if someone calling your belief illogical makes it less valid to you.

Quoting Anonymous:

No by default I am not. I am saying my belief is valid to me. You can believe whatever you want. My belief does not make your belief any less valid to you, regardless of what I think about it. When I actually tell you that you are stupid for believing something, or I say to you that your beliefs are illogical, then I am making your belief less valid than mine.

Quoting Youngmother456:

So now we should start limiting freedom of speech?

"or make any belief less valid than mine"
You do every single day that you call yourself whatever religion you are. Again, by default you are saying everyone else's point of view is not valid enough for you to believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

I call things that are considered mythology, mythology..greek gods and the sort. I do not call other peoples beliefs mythology unless that is the term to describe their beliefs. I wouldn't tell an atheist, or anyone else that their beliefs are mythological. It is only offensive when I belittle someone else for their belief or make their belief any less valid than mine. If YOU believe that, then it is valid to YOU, even if it isn't to me. People can say they don't agree with a belief without being offensive to that belief.

Quoting Youngmother456:

There are people who truly believe there are greek gods, fairies, unicorns and dragons. You cannot tell me that you do not refer to those things as mythology or fiction.

And we aren't talking about how someone treats someone else, we are talking about OP calling something she believes is a myth a myth. I assume you are of a religion so that means by default you are calling all other religions wrong. (unless you are a deist and some others) Should that be considered offensive as well? should no one be allowed to even have a religion because it may offend someone? People think evolution is BS, should I limit their freedom of speech because that offends me?

Quoting Anonymous:

Still, there is always tact and regardless of how one person treats another, should not set the standard for how everyone should be treated.

Quoting Youngmother456:

I am constantly offended as an atheist but I don't go around trying to limit someone else's freedom of speech.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is offensive to refer to someone elses beliefs as mythology and illogical. If you don't believe that is fine, but why the need to insult others beliefs?

Quoting Anonymous:

They were examples, and I did finish up by saying that ultimately I chose logic over mythology.

Quoting Anonymous:

OK...it just kind of stopped. Didn't really see the point to it is all. You took a couple verses out of the bible and decided it wasn't for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

If I wanted to ask a question, I would have asked a question. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Um ok. So, is there something you want to ask or you just making a statement?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HyrulianHeroine
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:40 AM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:42 AM

So, you think that I, as a Christian, believe that your beliefs are less valid than mine? Because I don't think that. And it shouldn't be assumed one does. I am sure your beliefs/lack of are just as justifiable to you as mine are to me. Like I said before, I would never call your lack of belief "stupid, or illogical, or myth" because that is offensive. I would never assume that someone would automatically imply that my beliefs are mythology simply because they differ from theirs. It seems to be a common theme for others to call Christian beliefs mythology, and it is offensive.

Quoting Youngmother456:

I am not saying you can't be offended. I am saying there is freedom of speech and what is being said is already implied.

Quoting Anonymous:

Put it like this: I think I have the best mom in the world. You think yours is the best. Fine we can each hold those beliefs and neither one gets offended.We can even talk about our mothers with no one gettting offended, even though we both know we think ours is the best.  Until I say, "Your mom sucks and is stupid, mine is better", then someone is offended.

Quoting Youngmother456:

You said "When I actually tell you that you are stupid for believing something, or I say to you that your beliefs are illogical, then I am making your belief less valid than mine."

So let's go through this. So my belief that your belief is not valid (so I don't believe in it) does not do anything to make your belief less valid to you. But if I actually say it outloud (or type it) somehow the words have the power to make your belief less valid?

Quoting Anonymous:

I never said it made it less valid, I am saying that is what makes it offensive...that's why this whole discussion started.

Quoting Youngmother456:

You are right that your belief does not make my nonbelief less valid to me. Neither does calling it illogical or stupid.

It's pretty sad if someone calling your belief illogical makes it less valid to you.

Quoting Anonymous:

No by default I am not. I am saying my belief is valid to me. You can believe whatever you want. My belief does not make your belief any less valid to you, regardless of what I think about it. When I actually tell you that you are stupid for believing something, or I say to you that your beliefs are illogical, then I am making your belief less valid than mine.

Quoting Youngmother456:

You do every single day that you call yourself whatever religion you are. Again, by default you are saying everyone else's point of view is not valid enough for you to believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

I call things that are considered mythology, mythology..greek gods and the sort. I do not call other peoples beliefs mythology unless that is the term to describe their beliefs. I wouldn't tell an atheist, or anyone else that their beliefs are mythological. It is only offensive when I belittle someone else for their belief or make their belief any less valid than mine. If YOU believe that, then it is valid to YOU, even if it isn't to me. People can say they don't agree with a belief without being offensive to that belief.

Quoting Youngmother456:

There are people who truly believe there are greek gods, fairies, unicorns and dragons. You cannot tell me that you do not refer to those things as mythology or fiction.

And we aren't talking about how someone treats someone else, we are talking about OP calling something she believes is a myth a myth. I assume you are of a religion so that means by default you are calling all other religions wrong. (unless you are a deist and some others) Should that be considered offensive as well? should no one be allowed to even have a religion because it may offend someone? People think evolution is BS, should I limit their freedom of speech because that offends me?

Quoting Anonymous:

Still, there is always tact and regardless of how one person treats another, should not set the standard for how everyone should be treated.

Quoting Youngmother456:

I am constantly offended as an atheist but I don't go around trying to limit someone else's freedom of speech.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is offensive to refer to someone elses beliefs as mythology and illogical. If you don't believe that is fine, but why the need to insult others beliefs?

Quoting Anonymous:

They were examples, and I did finish up by saying that ultimately I chose logic over mythology.

Quoting Anonymous:

OK...it just kind of stopped. Didn't really see the point to it is all. You took a couple verses out of the bible and decided it wasn't for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Youngmother456
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:56 AM
This will be my last reply because it is 5:43 and I need to go to bed.

You are not an Atheist because the non belief is not valid to you. If it was then you would be an Atheist. That doesn't mean you are saying my non belief isn't valid to me, just you. You opinion or belief about my non belief does by affect my non belief.

A myth is 1 a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon

That is EXACTLY what the belief in a god means to me. There's history to it (which it may or may not be true) and it explains how we came to be and it serves as a guide for people's behavior. So I call christianity and all other religions myths.

I do think that some religions or some parts are stupid. I really think that it is stupid to believe in some book. To me it would be like believing in Harry potter. Your belief is stupid, to me. (I don't know your belief so I am saying a general "your")

I do think religion is illogical. I have not seen any evidence for religion and to believe in something without evidence is illogical, to me.

Its common to call atheists immoral and deny science. It does bother me, it does offend me, but I do not think that people should not say what they believe. And if they believe that Atheists are immoral than they have a right to say it.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, you think that I, as a Christian, believe that your beliefs are less valid than mine? Because I don't think that. And it shouldn't be assumed one does. I am sure your beliefs/lack of are just as justifiable to you as mine are to me. Like I said before, I would never call your lack of belief "stupid, or illogical, or myth" because that is offensive. I would never assume that someone would automatically imply that my beliefs are mythology simply because they differ from theirs. It seems to be a common theme for others to call Christian beliefs mythology, and it is offensive.

Quoting Youngmother456:

I am not saying you can't be offended. I am saying there is freedom of speech and what is being said is already implied.

Quoting Anonymous:

Put it like this: I think I have the best mom in the world. You think yours is the best. Fine we can each hold those beliefs and neither one gets offended.We can even talk about our mothers with no one gettting offended, even though we both know we think ours is the best.  Until I say, "Your mom sucks and is stupid, mine is better", then someone is offended.

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:00 AM

When I first read the bible as a child, I thought it was the most evil, violent, horrifying thing I ever read

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:03 AM

And this will be my last time replying because it is getting out of hand. Lol...I never said someone didn't have the right to say it. I just said it was offensive to say it. The fact that they believe differently is not offensive, in and of itself.

Quoting Youngmother456:

This will be my last reply because it is 5:43 and I need to go to bed.

You are not an Atheist because the non belief is not valid to you. If it was then you would be an Atheist. That doesn't mean you are saying my non belief isn't valid to me, just you. You opinion or belief about my non belief does by affect my non belief.

A myth is 1 a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon

That is EXACTLY what the belief in a god means to me. There's history to it (which it may or may not be true) and it explains how we came to be and it serves as a guide for people's behavior. So I call christianity and all other religions myths.

I do think that some religions or some parts are stupid. I really think that it is stupid to believe in some book. To me it would be like believing in Harry potter. Your belief is stupid, to me. (I don't know your belief so I am saying a general "your")

I do think religion is illogical. I have not seen any evidence for religion and to believe in something without evidence is illogical, to me.

Its common to call atheists immoral and deny science. It does bother me, it does offend me, but I do not think that people should not say what they believe. And if they believe that Atheists are immoral than they have a right to say it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

romalove
by SakePrincess on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Contrary to popular belief, freedom of speech does not give one the right to say whatever they want. And just because you CAN say something, does not always mean you SHOULD.

Quoting Youngmother456:

I don't care who respects my lack of belief. They have freedom of speech and they can use that how they want.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right, but if you want someone to respect your belief or lack of belief, you should respect theirs.

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Freedom of speech is limited only by incipient harms, meaning, the reason you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater and cause a stampede is that people will get trampled.  If there is a fire, go ahead and yell.

You can say you hate people and things.  You can insult people.  In fact, hate speech is the reason for First Amendment free speech protections, we are allowed to speak against God and government within very narrow limiting constraints of causing imminent harm to others.

p.s.  On a private website like CM, the owners can limit your speech in any way they choose.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM

So you don't believe in God, okay.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN