Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am a SAHM With a Live-In Nanny and Live-In Housekeeper

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 507 Replies
3 moms liked this

This is very common where I live - not in the US.  Most families have two or more live-in staff, especially if they have kids.  We also have a live-in gardener.  The cost to us is less than $400 per month.

If you could financially have live-in staff, would you?  When we are in the US we do not have staff, but sometimes I really miss it!

ETA:  I see a lot of SAHMs criticized if they have a nanny or housekeeper.  I am just curious if the financial burden were less and it was the cultural norm, if there would be less criticism.

ETA#2: Many have indicated that they wouldn't want someone living in their home.  I just wanted to clarify that our staff lives in housing on our property, not in our house.  Our gardener and housekeeper have set hours while our nanny's hours are more flexible.  None of our staff work more than 40 hours a week.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:35 AM
Sure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cmfarm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:37 AM
4 moms liked this

My step fathers family lives in Peru and they all have nannies, maids and cooks. It doesn't cost much there to hire people for those types of jobs. If I could afford it I would.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:38 AM
2 moms liked this

i sure as hell would

kate.oneill
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:39 AM
10 moms liked this

I wouldn't want live-in staff, but full-time help?  Sure.  I have a housekeeper, but she does not live with us.  Most people (especially SAHMs) who would say that they couldn't use an extra hand now and then would be lying.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Since I work full time yes I would.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrsweaver
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:49 AM
11 moms liked this

No, I don't and I wouldn't. A housekeeper is one thing, but a nanny too? I mean what do you do with yourself? You might as well say your a housewife not a SAHM.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:51 AM

If I could afford it yes it would give me more time to spend with my children.

jbirdsladie27
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Meh....probably not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:53 AM
9 moms liked this

Of course.  I am of the belief that more loving caring Adults in a child's life is a good thing. And providing jobs and a place to live and food in a country with those kinds of wages is a GOOD thing.

Besides who really likes scrubbing floors and cleaning bathrooms?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:54 AM
I have live in house keeper. No nanny.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)