Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am a SAHM With a Live-In Nanny and Live-In Housekeeper

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This is very common where I live - not in the US.  Most families have two or more live-in staff, especially if they have kids.  We also have a live-in gardener.  The cost to us is less than $400 per month.

If you could financially have live-in staff, would you?  When we are in the US we do not have staff, but sometimes I really miss it!

ETA:  I see a lot of SAHMs criticized if they have a nanny or housekeeper.  I am just curious if the financial burden were less and it was the cultural norm, if there would be less criticism.

ETA#2: Many have indicated that they wouldn't want someone living in their home.  I just wanted to clarify that our staff lives in housing on our property, not in our house.  Our gardener and housekeeper have set hours while our nanny's hours are more flexible.  None of our staff work more than 40 hours a week.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Replies (501-507):
crumpy_gat
by No. on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:28 AM
A cook or a maid, sure, but I didn't have kids for someone else to raise.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SadeAyosmom
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:31 AM

agree i would for sure have a cook or maybe housekeeper. but the kids are mine i am jealous for anyone else to spend time with them :) they are my pleasure not someone elses work

Quoting xomrsweaver:

No, I don't and I wouldn't. A housekeeper is one thing, but a nanny too? I mean what do you do with yourself? You might as well say your a housewife not a SAHM.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
bellygirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Hell yes! I'd have a housekeeper/assistant, not a nanny. My kids are mine, mine, mine! Nobody other than my husband and I raise our children. However, having a housekeeper would be sooo great! I live a clean house; it's exhausting trying to keep up w/my house with rambunctious, happy kids.
Mazou80
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Oh yes yes yes!!!!If I could financially I definitely would
xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I wouldn't mind even a pt housekeeper
imuney
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I have done it,except our nanny and housekeeper were one in the same and she did not live with us. Although I agree with your observation concerning cultural differences,I would say it has more to do with division of social class here in America.

LucyHarper
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Thats not a SAHM, thats a glorified housewife.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)