Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

transgendered child using female restroom, even though he has male genitalia?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/us/colorado-transgender-girl-school/index.html?fb_action_ids=3828885379370&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%223828885379370%22%3A145734982258074%7D&action_type_map=%7B%223828885379370%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=[]

This elementary school-aged child, who was born a boy but identifies as female, has dressed as female for quite a while, has been banned from using the female restrooms at school.  The school has offered to let the child use the gender neutral teachers' restrooms, or the nurse's restroom.

I'm just wondering what you think about this.  We don't have this issue at school, so I'm curious.  Would you be okay with a child that identifies as female, but has male genitalia, using the same restroom as your daughter?  Or vice versa?  Or is it more important to focus on, this child is female on the inside, so is it wrong for him/her (I'm not clear on terminology, I'm sorry) to use the male restroom?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (141-147):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM
he should have to use the gender neutral bathroom or a boys bathroom.
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

um...since its the girls bathroom there are stalls.

Tell the other girls not to be nosey little bitches and dont peek.

Problem solved.

supercarp
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM

If you identify as a tiger then you are insane. That is different from gender identification.

Quoting Anonymous:

So....if I identify as a tiger am I a tiger?!?! Can I roam the streets naked and go to the bathroom wherever I please because I *think* I am a tiger?! NO I can't, until HE has corrective surgery HE is still PHYSICALLY a HE not a SHE. Just because he THINKS something is true doesn't mean it is....until then HE needs to use the bathroom that staff provided him (which they really didn't HAVE to do that) or he can use the boys bathroom.

Quoting supercarp:

If someone identifies as a female, they are a female. The reason we separate genders in restrooms and lockerrooms is so that there won't be any gawking or groping.

gcstar42
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Honestly in elementary school I do not see it as being as much of an issue as later on in junior high when they all have to change in front of each other for athletics.

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I think the child should able to use the bathroom of the sex they identify with.the school is wrong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM
By any chance was this inspired by the katie couric episode yesterday?
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM
No it isn't far because it singles her out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting purpleducky:

But schools are supposed to be fair to all children.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know how learning would suffer if schools catered to each child.

Its about them all. As a whole.

The child has two options use the nurses restroom or the boys. But they have to consider every child and not just one particular one

Quoting purpleducky:

Except the transgender child.

Quoting MarriedYoung:

I'm sorry but i think the gender neutral bathroom its just fine. That way no one is uncomfortable. Perfect compromise.

Fair to all.

and they are fair to all.

they said he could use the bathroom in the teachers room.

So you wouldn't want this little boy/girl to be uncomfortable with using a boys room but you'd be perfectly ok with making girls uncomfortable knowing a little boy is in the restroom?

sounds legit.

Schools cannot think about each individual child..they think of them as a  WHOLE.

If you want individual treatment for your kid then label them with a disability get them a 401 plan or a IEP, but then again let me guess, YOU would be bitching that its NOT a disability.

They offered him an alternative so he would be comfortable. He is still a boy and the school does have to think about the needs of ALL the kids. NOT just ONE!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)